Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Ruger GP100 or S&W 686??

Sorry, but I do not see a subforum for revolvers, so im posting here...........

Can I please get your thoughts and experiences with BOTH the Ruger GP100
    and the S&W 686 please?

Im not sure I really do want a .357, since this round doesnt really seem fun
    to shot regularly at a range. I understand that I can also shot .38 out of it,
    but I have heard this causes residue build up?

Which gun is better build quality and more reliable to use?

Is one really better than the other, or, flip a coin its that close?

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Ruger GP100 or S&W 686??

had a sp101 357mag, and yes you can shoot 38 special and +p.
    the power in a 357 and a decent steel gun like the two you mentioned wouldnt be as bad as you think. "the benifit of the 357 is that if you miss your target hell die of a heart attack just the same." HAND CANNON's are FUN, either one new or used will sufice, youll see,id buy the ruger, even tho i carry a S&W 642 38 bug today
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ruger GP100 or S&W 686??

I faced the same decision, and ultimately (because it seemed to be at least as well made as the Smith, and was less expensive) went with the GP-100 w/6" barrel. It was my first revolver, and I loved it. The past tense "loved" indicates that I did recently trade it, but not for any reason other than I had subsequently picked up a S&W 629, and really only (so far) want one revolver.

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. As for the residue, etc, associated with shooting .38 specials through it: It's nothing that cleaning won't take care of. And, the gun is enjoyable/super easy to be accurate with when shooting .38 specials, and exciting as hell to shoot .357 Magnums through. IMO, you won't regret buying a GP-100.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Berks County)

I've own/owned both and can say the 686 felt and shot better for me. But that's just me. Both are built like tanks and will do you well.

(Lebanon County)

have you ever shot 357mag?
    it's not really that bad of a boy....of course i'm a magnum junky.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pine creek View Post
    Sorry, but I do not see a subforum for revolvers, so im posting here...........

Can I please get your thoughts and experiences with BOTH the Ruger GP100
    and the S&W 686 please?

Im not sure I really do want a .357, since this round doesnt really seem fun
    to shot regularly at a range. I understand that I can also shot .38 out of it,
    but I have heard this causes residue build up?

Which gun is better build quality and more reliable to use?

Is one really better than the other, or, flip a coin its that close?

Thanks
    I am going to try to address your concerns and questions one at a time, bear with me.

I have experience with both the Ruger GP100 and the Smith 686 and both are fine revolvers. I prefer the Smith and Wesson, considering that they have been making weapons since 1852 and their trigger feel is a world apart from Ruger, I prefer them. Many people consider the Ruger to be more durable, this is not the case. The Ruger is made from investment casting metal, which results in a less dense material than the hammer forged steel used in Smith and Wesson revolvers. If a weapon is rated for a certain caliber, that is what it is good for...

Smith and Wesson revolvers cost more than the Ruger revolvers, yet one gets what one pays for. In all honesty, as a first revolver the Ruger or the 686 will be a fine choice.

In a full size revolver like the 686 or Gp100 the only real difference you will notice in shooting .38 special or .357 Magnum is the noise and muzzle blast. The 4 inch 686 or GP100 weigh in at about 40 ounces, that weight will tame the recoil of any .357 magnum load. There is nothing wrong with shooting .38 special in a .357 magnum revolver. A good cleaning will remove any residue and .38 special ammunition is inexpensive when compared to the magnum stuff.

You specifically asked about build quality and I will say that the Smith and Wesson is of higher quality and tolerances than the GP100, generally speaking. However, price is always a factor. A new GP100 will run about 530 USD while a new 686 could cost 700 or more. However, the smith will have a superior trigger and you can get the 686 in a seven shot model that is the exact same size as the 6 shot model, it is called the 686+.

One important consideration is that revolvers are peculiar animals. I firmly believe in shooting double action only, no cocking of the hammer. Why? I carry my weapons for defense, there will be no time to cock a hammer (both of my carry revolvers are not cockable, one is DAO and the other had the hammer spur cut off). With that being said, double action revolver shooting takes time and money (in ammo and range time) to become proficient with. It takes considerably more time to become good with a revolver than it will with say a Glock. Revolvers also take longer to reloas when compared to autoloading pistols. My point, you might not like revolvers as they are not for everyone. I am in my tender early thirties and I love revolvers and carry them regularly, yet YMMV.

You will also need good gear if you buy one of the two fine revolvers you are shopping for. A good strong side belt holster, some speed loaders (there are more than one type of speed loaders, as in how they work) and other accessories.

Speaking of holsters, a good first holster is a sourdough pancake holster from Simply Rugged. I have a couple of these and they are fantastic.
    www.simplyrugged.com

As for speedloaders, I prefer the Safariland speed loaders. These are of the push type, no knob to turn or turn itself in your pocket to release your ammo. However, Safariland does not make them for the 7 shot smith and wessons (or the 8 shot .357's for that matter). Here is a link to Safariland:
    http://www.safariland.com/dutygear/d...edloaders.aspx

HKS makes acceptable speedloaders for the 7 shot smith and wesson revolvers. They are not the best, but they work. Here is their page:
    http://www.hksspeedloaders.com/SpeedloaderPage.html

If you have any specific questions, just ask...

BTW, user AllGlock has a GP100 in blue for sale for 399!!! Which is a fantastic price. You can PM him, I think he is located down in Delaware county or somewhere close by.
    Last edited by Steve_NEPhila; March 20th, 2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added Allglocks GP100
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

Thanks, Steve...

What are thoughts on the internal locking device on the S&W 686 that folks have said have
    failed, causing the gun to lock up?

Should this be a major concern in my consideration to purchase??

(Tioga County)

I went through the same questions and wound up getting the S&W. For my hands, the grip on the Ruger felt too small. (I bought a used 686-4 that has the wood grips, which fit my hands perfectly.)

As much as anything, it's how the gun feels in your hands. You'll get plenty of strong opinions on both sides. The Ruger is less expensive, but if you're on the fence and price is not a consideration, get the S&W. What barrel are you thinking of? I got a 6".

--Phil

(Lackawanna County)

Am I ever so happy to see this thread. It just so happens I bought a 686-1 the other day. The older smiths r truely works of art. I recently sold a 629-6 because I felt it was a piece of crap when compared to earlier models. I love my 686-1 its my new under the pillow gun. If u want a 686 try to find a early model. The 686-1s were recalled and will have m stamped above the serial number if it was fixed. The 686 was designed to go toe to toe with colts python. So with that in mind id say go with the smith over the ruger

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pine creek View Post
    Thanks, Steve...

What are thoughts on the internal locking device on the S&W 686 that folks have said have
    failed, causing the gun to lock up?

Should this be a major concern in my consideration to purchase??
    The locking device is not a big deal as far as I am concerned. They have failed and I do not like them, yet I have no problem disabling the ones on my carry guns. The locking flag is the only part one needs to remove, and the revolver will never lock up. Here is a video on how to do it:

I would not be concerned about any legal ramifications of disabling the lock. The internal lock is an access denial device, not a "safety" device.

The used market is filled with pre-lock Smith and Wesson revolvers. If I am correct, the Smith and Wesson internal lock started showing up in 2001 or 2003. There are literally tens of thousands of pre-lock smith revolvers out there that are well worth the effort to look for.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast