I used to use state game land ranges and I went through the legal methods of using the range by purchasing the range permit, what I found was a great deal of folks who didn't have the permits used the range left messes and were just to damn dangerous to be around. I saw many really good and considerate folks there as well but I have never been there when a enforcement check was done. My very last time which was over a year ago, I took my son and left when more than one range user with out of state plates kept touching his weapon when we were checking targets, flagging the firing line or doing mag dumps beyond the allowed round count. The clincher was when a few yahoos decided to walk the burn down to the target frames while the pistol side was still shooting while carrying their weapons.
I don't scare easy around weapons but getting killed by some a-hole who will just jump in his car and drive off because he saw a fancy shooting technique in a movie isn't worth it, I shoot on a friends property these days and avoid death by dummy. A few times I felt like I needed to be ready to return fire on folks who haven't clue as to which direction a loaded weapon should be facing.