Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Hunting license/range permit required for PGC ranges

Quote Originally Posted by PSUfan14 View Post
    So has anyone figured out where on the site you can find the range permit? I have no interest in getting a hunting license, I just want to be able to shoot at the ranges.
    From what I've read, the range permit is $30. A hunting license is $20. So you might as well just go with the hunting license.

Quote Originally Posted by pahuntnfool View Post
    The Pine Creek range is a state park range not a PGC range so no range permit or hunting liscense required.
    I did not know that, thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter55 View Post
    I was at WalMart yesterday and some people were asking the clerk where to get a range permit. The sporting goods person said he had no idea. I decided to check the PGC website and I could not find any reference to a range permit. I find it odd that the PGC would exclude people w/o license or permit, and not have a description where a non-hunter could get a permit. I am all for the idea and hope that the Scotia range will be open longer with the additional revenue.
    I was thinking the same. That sign says to visit the PGC site about getting a range permit, but I didn't find anything about it either.

Quote Originally Posted by legendarylorot View Post
    And, I hope, with better upkeep. It might be coincidence, but I was there today and the targets were actually there!
    Yeah. I was there on Thursday and there was one target stand between the two auxiliary ranges. Saturday I was there and both ranges were fully stocked with stands. I think they bring out new ones on Fridays or something.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA452 View Post
    Yeah. I was there on Thursday and there was one target stand between the two auxiliary ranges. Saturday I was there and both ranges were fully stocked with stands. I think they bring out new ones on Fridays or something.

I was there on friday around 1500 and they brought out new stands for the AUX range.

I was there again on Sunday and of all the ones they put out (4 on short range, 4 on larger range) there was substantial damage done already to at least half of them. I didn't get a chance to ask how many they are going through a week though. I have made it habit to bring my own cardboard and inch strips of wood since most of the time there is either nothing or it's so F'd from the ignorant fools from the weekend it might as well not even be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

This should link to the page for purchasing the permit. You just print it from your computer. Seem like a bad idea, the self printing part. They should at least issue something similar to a hunting license and is more 'durable'

I wish I had a printer...

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937842&mode=2

(Centre County)

I just printed the range permit and was reading the RULES. I didn't know that Scotia was only open Wedneday thru Sunday to the public! I don't know if this RULE is just for Range Permit users only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim41 View Post
    I just printed the range permit and was reading the RULES. I didn't know that Scotia was only open Wedneday thru Sunday to the public! I don't know if this RULE is just for Range Permit users only.
    I can't say for certain, but they could be referring to the main ranges inside of the gates and not the auxiliaries. Scotia I believe is the only PGC range in the state fenced in with full time attendants.

It used to be there were full time attendants that worked there during the week, and part time attendants that manned it on the weekend. During the winter it was open during the week, but they didn't have the part-timers coming in on the weekend. The auxiliaries were all still open though.

I heard that due to budget constraints they may not bring back the part-timers for the weekends at all this year. That doesn't make much sense since the majority of shooters are available to use the range on the weekend. So maybe they laid off the part timers and shifted the full time attendants to working Wednesday through Sunday?

Just a guess. I'll ask an attendant what the deal is next time I'm out there.

(Centre County)

I went to the range today. The rules I received with the permit were old rules that no one upgraded.

They are hiring part time help for the range. You start at 3:30 pm work till dusk Mon thru Fri. then work 8hrs Sat & Sun. You work 7 days and have 7 days off. The pay is min. wage. They are going to start opening weekends starting next month(no date was given).

(Centre County)

I fully support this rage permit idea, and I think if its gonna limit some morons to do any extensive damage to the range(i.e. Target holder), then I'm all for that.

My only gripe is that according to what I read at the sign in place, lisence/permit holder can only bring a one guest along, and thats it.

So there for a someone with a family of 3, or 4 would be required to buy a 2 permits to make a family weeked out of it(such as myself, usualy bring along my wife, and her niece. My daughter is too young to go still).
    Or sometimes I bring both my Niece and Nephew along by byself. How is that gonna work?

I think thats BS.
    Last edited by Mity2; April 7th, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast