Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tokarev

(Cumberland County)

Default Tokarev

Finally got to take my M57 to the range, fun little shooter ! Only downside is like my 1911's, if you don't hold the safety down with your thumb it engages, I hate that - but oh well. I know that's how your suppose to shoot a 1911, just don't like it. Got a good deal from J&G for it ( $ 199 ) but if you want one, a guy at the Gun show this weekend at Farm show had crates of them for $219 - great deal to pick your own out Will have to be careful with ammo though, I bought 1 box of 7.62x25 a couple weeks ago at York show, and they were 75% duds - nice solid strikes, but no bang. Bought two more boxes yesterday at gunshow, and all were fine. I think I'm going to enjoy this as a nice fun shooter !
    The Russian Nagant is neat, but a pain in the ass to eject shells, and not very accurate, but for $99 bucks - oh well.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Tokarev

Congratulations on your new firearm. I don't know why you think you have to hold the safety down on a 1911 but that is certainly NOT the way the gun was designed and if you have one where that really is necessary then that individual gun has a serious problem. I recently bought an M 57 and had a similar situation...the safeties are put on aftermarket to make import requirements. I found that the bottom detent for the safety was drilled too high. I had to remove a little more off the top of the grip to allow the safety lever to move further down and I also drilled another hole below the existing one for the spring on the back of the safety lever to clip into. That solved the problem. I used a drill press and it went fairly easily. If you're not comfortable with this process, consider sending it back. I had gotten mine for J&G and talked to their staff, who were willing to send me another if I returned the problematic one. I opted to fix it myself. Good luck either way and get that 1911 looked at!

(Philadelphia County)

And regarding the ammo: may I suggest you remove the firing pin from the frame and degrease it, the channel it rides in, and the springs. The M 57 has a slightly different firing pin arrangement then the other Toks but I was able to find dissassembly instructions on the web. Make note of which way the little cap-looking part is facing when you take the pin assembly apart. Good luck. Its a little trickey to reassemble but not a big deal.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the part where you had fired two other boxes without problems. Might still be worth your while to address the FP if you haven't done so already. I've been through a couple boxes of Yugo ammo and a couple of the Polish and haven't had any trouble with misfires. Do you know what ammo had the problem?
    Last edited by cptdco; March 20th, 2011 at 06:24 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cptdco View Post
    Congratulations on your new firearm. I don't know why you think you have to hold the safety down on a 1911 but that is certainly NOT the way the gun was designed and if you have one where that really is necessary then that individual gun has a serious problem. I recently bought an M 57 and had a similar situation...the safeties are put on aftermarket to make import requirements. I found that the bottom detent for the safety was drilled too high. I had to remove a little more off the top of the grip to allow the safety lever to move further down and I also drilled another hole below the existing one for the spring on the back of the safety lever to clip into. That solved the problem. I used a drill press and it went fairly easily. If you're not comfortable with this process, consider sending it back. I had gotten mine for J&G and talked to their staff, who were willing to send me another if I returned the problematic one. I opted to fix it myself. Good luck either way and get that 1911 looked at!
    Interesting, thanks ! Most of my 1911's do this too ( not every shot, eventually do it when firing ). I posted a while back, and most 1911 "experts" told me that the "correct hand position" when firing a 1911 is to have your thumb on the thumb safety to prevent it from engaging? I'll check my Tokarev out more and try your suggestions - thanks ! Maybe some more 1911 experts can chime in on what I was told ????

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cptdco View Post
    And regarding the ammo: may I suggest you remove the firing pin from the frame and degrease it, the channel it rides in, and the springs. The M 57 has a slightly different firing pin arrangement then the other Toks but I was able to find dissassembly instructions on the web. Make note of which way the little cap-looking part is facing when you take the pin assembly apart. Good luck. Its a little trickey to reassemble but not a big deal.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the part where you had fired two other boxes without problems. Might still be worth your while to address the FP if you haven't done so already. I've been through a couple boxes of Yugo ammo and a couple of the Polish and haven't had any trouble with misfires. Do you know what ammo had the problem?
    Problem ammo was the Polish ammo that I bought from J&G when I bought the pistol. I emailed them today, we will see. Not overlly worred, only $5 a box, but still........ Tx again.

(Cumberland County)

I went to a couple of 1911 sites and looked for correct grip when shooting a 1911 and they all said :

thumb on safety.

(Philadelphia County)

Well, thanks. I'll have to look into this, but I'd be very surprised if I found even one manufacturer's owner's manual or (better yet) a military training manual with the thumb recommendation. It certainly was never a part of my 1911 training. Nor have I ever had a problem with the safety engaging with either the government issues I've fired, or during the many rounds I've put through civilian guns.

Only downside is like my 1911's, if you don't hold the safety down with your thumb it engages, I hate that - but oh well. I know that's how your suppose to shoot a 1911, just don't like it.

I have carried 1911s for over 40 years and have had a wide variety of training from the military, LE, and specialized sources and no one ever told me you have to hold the safety down. The safety on my guns stays down unless I push it up.

Is the safety going on on its own due to recoil or is your thumb pushing it up and engaging it? If the first then its broken. If the second there is something "different" in your grip.

(Philadelphia County)

I agree...I don't have the LE training of the last poster, but I did receive some training from Uncle Sam and at times the .45 was my TO&E issued weapon. I often represented my battalion in firearms competition and that had me rubbing shoulders with a lot of very skilled shooters and also inspired me to read a lot of stuff on improving my own marksmanship skills with both the 1911 and the M16. I agree that if the safety has been a problem for you, especially if it’s on more than one gun, you might want to examine your personal shooting style. But back to the original question, I'll be curious to see how you make out with the M57.

(Cumberland County)

hmmmm, I'll have to keep reading. I thought thumb on safety was awkward, but have read it in so many threads and by so many "experts", I assumed it was correct. Especially when at least 3 of my 5 1911's safety's engage randomly. From what I see, its not from my thumb hitting it ??? Like I say, I'll keep reading up. thanks !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast