Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sig Sauer info

(Schuylkill County)

Default Sig Sauer info

still plinker shopping so here's another thought. does anyone have some hands on info for the Sig Sauer Mosquito 22lr. as far as a practice gun it has a feel closer to my sr9, but could basically be shot everyday. i like the feel in the hand and trigger pull, so i could use some insight on accuracy, reliability etc. thanks again.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Sig Sauer info

I like mine on some days. If you can't get CCI mini-mags, you might want to look at something else. It seems they designed the gun for that ammo. It's certainly a fun gun when it's working, but you'll spend some range time clearing failures of some sort. As accuracy goes, it's dead on. You'll want at least one more magazine, but they're simply too expensive to get much more (around $40).

(Berks County)

The one we have runs pretty smooth with Federal bulk. A few FTF. But for plinking I don't mind dollar for dollar.

I personally don't like the trigger on it. That however is personal.

Accuracy is decent, doesn't compare to my Ruger's, then again they are not really in the same class.

All in all for a practice gun, you won't be upset. It is far better than a P22.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by War View Post
    . . . It's certainly a fun gun when it's working, but you'll spend some range time clearing failures of some sort . . .

And that's why friends don't let friends buy SIG Mosquito pistols.

A local dealer sold six of them, got four back. He lose a customer before he'll order another Mosquito for anyone.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Mine works quite well with bulk pack ammo and the correct spring. The slide needs refinished, but otherwise it has been acceptable for what it is. After having it for a few years I would question the need for this pistol. If I could go back a few years I would just get a Ruger.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

I do not have hands-on experience with them. I was going to buy one based on my experience with other Sig pistols. As I researched the mosquito I found too many issues, and I decided not to go that route. The only way I would buy one is if I got a great price - one where I wouldn't lose much money if I decided to dump it.

I plan to buy the Ruger MK II or III with the bull barrel instead. The biggest issue people complain about there is cleaning them, which isn't bad once you learn the process.

Good luck!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    And that's why friends don't let friends buy SIG Mosquito pistols.

A local dealer sold six of them, got four back. He lose a customer before he'll order another Mosquito for anyone.

Noah
    As far as a training gun, that ends up working in your favor (I think). Just had it out yesterday and had at least one of each of the following failures within 200 rounds:
    Did not strip off the next round (cocked, locked and empty).
    Jam, round halfway up ramp, slide crushing case.
    Jam, round 3/4 chambered, out of battery.
    Fail to fire, good strike, but would not fire.
    Fail to eject, Spent case in chamber.
    Double feed, spent case in chamber, next round attempting to feed.

Any of these could be blamed on ammo, and some of them were no doubt ammunition failures. IMHO the value of using a 22lr as a training gun is more about dealing with how it operates and malfunctions than to become a proficient shot, as firing this gun is nothing like my 9mm or 40s&w guns. The cost per round being minimal, I feel more confident that my investment in training with larger caliber ammo is more focused on shot placement than playing the wtf game.

I hope I don't seem offensive or confrontational with what I've said, this is just how I rationalized blowing far too much money on a plinker that jams.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by War View Post
    As far as a training gun, that ends up working in your favor (I think). Just had it out yesterday and had at least one of each of the following failures within 200 rounds:
    Did not strip off the next round (cocked, locked and empty).
    Jam, round halfway up ramp, slide crushing case.
    Jam, round 3/4 chambered, out of battery.
    Fail to fire, good strike, but would not fire.
    Fail to eject, Spent case in chamber.
    Double feed, spent case in chamber, next round attempting to feed.
    You bring up a good point, IMO.

However for training one can always load up in any given magazine one or two dummy rounds or dummy rounds with bullets set too deeply. Load two or three mags with dummies, and another two or three with regular loads, mix up the mags and then do live clearance drills to your heart's content. This of course says you have access to reloading equipment or someone who does.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(York County)

I say if you're dead set on getting a Sig and must shoot .22LR ammmo, get a PXXX and get the .22LR converstions for it. If you dont wanna spend that much money, then i say look elsewhere for another .22LR handgun, cause the Mosquitos are the disowned redheaded smelly whore of a stepchild of Sig's offerings.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; March 23rd, 2011 at 02:59 AM.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Monroe County)

Save up a little more cash and get their 522 rifle. Now that's one 22 that Sig did right.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.