Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Bucks Co gun shop beginner friendly?

Hello,

Im new to Bucks County and I am researching to purchase my first handgun...
    probably a revolver, S&W or Ruger.

Can you please suggest a few great gun shops in the Bucks Co area that are
    very friendly, helpful and great for beginners??

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Bucks Co gun shop beginner friendly?

I did a transfer at Tanner's earlier this week and found it to be one of the most friendly gun shops i've ever been in. I bet they'd have no problems helping a beginner.

I like Tanners and Surplus City and buy most of my firearms there. Ready Aim Fire is really good with beginners and they are a range so you can fire them right there. I've seen those guys patiently walk countless people through learning to shoot and purchase a firearm. There is also Mikes on the Levittown parkway. But I would say RAF for a first timer. Rich at Surplus might throw you out if he is in a bad mood (Though he a nice guy just no patience). If you go to Tanners on the weekend you might get 5 minutes at the counter. If you can go to Tanners during the week ask from Harrison, he is layed back seems to go out of his way to be helpful.
    Tanners is the cheapest for new handguns in my opinion.

If you're looking to take a safety class -- highly recommended, by the way! -- you'll want to buy the gun from a place that has a range. There's no reason you must do this, but why not start off your shooting relationship by buying a gun from the place you're going to do the class at? In Bucks County, if you go this route, you have Classic Pistol, Clayton's, Ready Aim Fire, and Pistol People.

Of those four, I'd recommend Classic Pistol in Southampton. The range is probably the nicest one in the area, they have a fantastic selection of guns (both used and new), a good bunch of people working there, and a whole host of ammo and accessories available. They also have a variety of pistols available for rent in various calibers, sizes, and manufacturers, so you can try a bunch of guns before you ultimately settle on one. Additionally, they offer the NRA Basic Pistol and Personal Protection series of classes. Lastly, if you decide to join as a member, the rates are quite reasonable. By way of full disclosure, I have been a member there for 3-4 years now, and took my NRA Basic Pistol class there. I have no connection to them beyond that of a satisfied customer and member. Clearly, they have my vote!

If you decide that you're not taking a safety class (please reconsider!), then I'd still recommend Classic Pistol, but Tanners also is a good shop to deal with. They have a good selection of guns as well. I've never bought a pistol from them, but I did buy a scope for one of my rifles there and was satisfied with both the price and the service. If the opportunity to buy a pistol from them came up, I wouldn't have any reservations in doing so.

So there you are. Two recommendations for the price of one!

(Bucks County)

Tanners is nice but don't go in there on Saturday because the counter stays crowded.

Surplus City is great and while they maintain a steady flow of traffic they are not as busy as Tanners.

Classic Pistol is great too but like tanners you can't get near the counter on Saturday or Sunday so the best days to go in are Monday-Friday. Classic Pistol is also a range and they rent guns but they won't rent you a gun if you're alone and don't already have your own gun. this policy exists because people have walked in, rented a gun and then went on to commit suicide on the range.

i routinely visit all three shops and don't think you can go wrong no matter which one you end up visiting, in fact it would be worth your while to checkout all three. good luck with your search

This are all good choices and I have one to add. Pistol People on State Rd in Bensalem. His selection isn't what you'll find at Classic, RAF or Tanner's but he will sit down with you and be very detailed in teaching you about the gun and it's safe use. I'll warn you up front, he doesn't sit well with anyone not taking his lessons seriously. But he will take you on his range and walk you through safe use one on one.

I'm assuming you have no experience with firearms. The idea of a safety course is a good one. They are offered at Classic, RAF and Pistol People.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Bucks County)

Thank you, guys! Great advice....

Yes, I plan on taking a NRA BASIC PISTOL course. Classic Pistol sounds like
    a great place to start.

Also, who have better prices on handguns..Tanners or Classic Pistol??

(Bucks County)

Do yourself a favor and avoid Clayton's like a bad case of syphilis! Horrible attitudes, terrible service and fat reprehensible counter personnel! It's a lose/lose proposition just going in the door!

Quote Originally Posted by pine creek View Post
    Thank you, guys! Great advice....

Yes, I plan on taking a NRA BASIC PISTOL course. Classic Pistol sounds like
    a great place to start.

Also, who have better prices on handguns..Tanners or Classic Pistol??
    I would say Tanners but part of the fun of buying is shopping.
    Are you leaning towards anything so far?

(Bucks County)

Yes,

I am deciding if I really want a .357 revolver,that I can also shot .38 out of...the
    Ruger GP100 or S&W Model 686.

Or, strictly a .38 chambered, like the S&W Model 67 or 15. Im still trying to
    decide if .357's are really fun to shot, or more of a chore. All the You Tube
    clips I see of guys firing .357's, they look all stressed out and not very fun.

Its seems .38 would be a dream to shot regularly.

So, it will either be the Ruger GP100 , S&W 686 or S&W 67 or 15.

Than, maybe in 6 months, I will buy the Beretta 92fs or PX4 full size or
    CZ 85. I am a lefty, so I definitely want ambidextrous controls!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast