Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Renewal Process/Early Renewal?

I have about a year to go on my PA non-resident permit; we have lots of family in PA and it feels good to have a PA permit in my wallet, but I want to try and avoid a special trip to PA just to renew prior to March 31.

My questions:
    1. Can I renew a year early?
    2. Is the renewal procedure essentially the same as the original application? (I can just send in the same stuff I sent in when I originally applied, of course but thought perhaps the paperwork was reduced on a renewal).

When I applied I included copies of my out of state D/L, my other CCW permits, copy of my US passport, SASE, and a Postal Money Order for $26. On this renewal I will include my current PA non resident permit number and a copy of same along with a new photograph of my mug. I can't imagine that anything is being missed but was hoping that it might be a lighter envelope.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Renewal Process/Early Renewal?

Sounds like you got your LTCF from Centre County ($26).

You have until March 31, end of this month, to apply (renew) by mail. After that you will be required to renew in person.

I suppose Sheriff Nau would renew you a year early. There's nothing in the statutes about when you can renew.

(Adams County)

Renewal will be good for 5 years from date of renewal, not 5 years from date of expiration of previous LTCF. So you'll short yourself a year by renewing a year early.

(Centre County)

I'd personally prefer the gas money of a trip here than the year, particularly if he's planning on visiting PA for family within the next valid period anyway.

Sheriff Nau is fairly easygoing, and has done early renewals i the past (saw someone doing that when I got mine) but with all the directives from PSP and other miscellaneous organizations, I don't know if that's changed.

There is that so-called "grace period" of the LTCF still being valid for 6 months after expiration. But I would not count on that and would not recommend carrying under that provision.

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(b) Exceptions.-The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

(York County)

I saw people renewing on another forum to get in before the March 31 deadline with 1+ year remaining on their current LTCF and they received their new LTCF with no problems.

Only losing a year = $5 so that would be worth the hassle of having to go in person.