Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lead Barker

(Bucks County)

Default New Lead Barker

Just traded in my 10+ y/o Glock 19 for a brand spanking new Beretta M9. Whe I got the 19 I was young and dumb. I hardly ever used it because it just didn't find my hand that well. In 10 years i put less than 2000 rounds through it. I realized that I hardly ever carry either open or conceled, so a smaller framed weapon wasn't making much sense to me.

As I was young and dumb I thought something was wrong with me because of the recoil of the 19. Turns out that polymer frames have a bigger recoil because of the lighter frame. Who knew? So all my shots were low and left as I was anticipating the kick and started to compensate.

The 19 was a good gun, just not for me. I have short fingers and I found it harder to get my index finger wrapped around the trigger.

So now I have a Beretta. I like the way it feels in my hand, nice and solid. I like the safety features and I love the trigger coming back when the hammer is cocked. Just feels better for me.

I have not put any rounds through it yet. I ran out of time today before I had to got to work. However, if anyone wants to join me in some shooting time, I'll be at Target World in Chalfont tomorrow at 11am.

Come on out and we can chat. Maybe I'll even let you shoot my Lead Barker!

(York County)

Default Re: New Lead Barker

How does the mag release work for you? I was an armorer in the marine corps and worked on the M9. Many guys with short fingers or small hands would have me flip the mag release around to "left handed" so that they could reach back with their trigger finger and hit the mag release rather than turn the pistol in their hand in order to hit it with their thumb. I had the same problem so I switched mine around too.

(Lawrence County)

I actually had the same problem with a 96, and I have very large hands. Im 6'8" if that gives you an idea on the size of my hands. I just had no good way to get to the mag release without turning my hand on the grip. This made it difficult for me to do quick reloads.

OP I think you got a very good gun though. I never had any feeding problems with the 96. I put about a thousand rounds through it and now decided to sell it to a friend. It ran flawlessly all those rounds. Just the grip and mag release was not for me(im partial to Sigs).

Good luck with the new pistol. Have fun at the range!

(Bucks County)

AWESOME! I was so much more accurate with the M9 than I ever was with the 19. I love this gun!

As for the mag release, don't have much of a problem that I can see. Then again, not doing fast reloads. If I decide to do some competitions then it might be, but Right now I don't have a problem with it.

The only problem I do have is that it came with 2 mags. One drops free and the other doesn't. The one that doesn't has drag marks on it. Interestingly enuff, they are both factory mags. It's not a big deal. I just ordered 2 Check-Mate 15-rounders and we'll see how they go.

If I do decide to compete, then I just have to make sure I bring the ones that drop free.

(Centre County)

Congratulations on your new pistol.
    This whole thread seems to illustrate that there are many good firearms out there, some (much?) of what makes a firearm "good" has to do with individual preference, and our own physical makeup (I used to know the correct word for that...but have since lost it.) as in the size of our bones, height, weight, grip size and strength, etc...that are different with each person.

What is a great pistol for you may not be so great for me due to any number of factors outside your and my control.

It's nice to read a thread where no one has started ranting about how you are wrong and brand X really is the best in the world.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox. Thanks for sharing your good news.
    Cheers,

(Montgomery County)

I have medium to large hands and have never had a problem reloading 92s or 96s. Simply a matter of tilting it slightly and hitting it with your thumb. Mind you, I am a revolver shooter so am very used to turning the weapon to reach reload positions. Dave_n

Strokes for folks I really like Berettas and I own a non rail probably 10 years old, Glock 19.
    Man that would be a hard decision I like both.

If I wanted to just conceal carry it would be the Glock 19, it does everything the Beretta does but differently.

But If I had to have one gun it would be the Beretta, I'm big enough that I could still CC it if I wanted. The G19 does that better but...

I guess I agree with your decision not that it matters to you:-).

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    ... and our own physical makeup (I used to know the correct word for that...but have since lost it.) as in the size of our bones, height, weight, grip size and strength, etc...that are different with each person.

If "ergonomics" is the word you lost, I seem to have found it here.

(Lancaster County)

Great, glad to hear you are happy with it. Does the M9 have government markings? Like a "property of US govt" or anything? That kind of stuff makes it better. I have two 92s and often thinking about trading one in for a true M9. People tell me they are the same gun but us Beretta people know thats not true.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Wash View Post
    If "ergonomics" is the word you lost, I seem to have found it here.
    Actually, anthropometry, or anthropometric measurements of body parts was what I could not remember, although ergonomics would work well also.

Ergonomics has to do with how inanimate objects are easier to use because they fit the human body and our various movements and anthropometric measurements.

Thanks for having a good word when I had none.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast