Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default so called gun clubs

What is wrong with all of the local "so called" gun clubs that have no provisions for fully automatic firearms? If it is a liability factor, I submit that those of us who own & shoot these types of firearms (notice I did not call them weapons. Which I hear often), are not only more efficient with the handle ling of these guns, but are also, no more a liability than some one who has just purchased their first gun.
    It's time for these so called "gun clubs" to change their way of thinking". I have been shooting these types of guns, before many of these gun club members were "fish in their fathers balls."
    There are too many divisions within the firearms community. In addition, this needs to change.

(Adams County)

Default Re: so called gun clubs

Well my gun club used to allow Full-Auto after you took a "class" with one of our range officers and got the certification from the club. We have temporarily suspended it's use because the backstops need to be raised and repaired.

FA can cause a lot more "USE" to range equipment.

We have been discussing whether or not re-instate it at all due to the extra wear on the range as well as the fact that we only have 5 members that were certified.

Not to cause an argument, but what part of owning FA makes you more effecient with using a gun?

I thought owning FA just meant you had lots of Money?

I read somewhere, Owning a gun simply makes you a gun owner, not a shooter.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    Well my gun club used to allow Full-Auto after you took a "class" with one of our range officers and got the certification from the club. We have temporarily suspended it's use because the backstops need to be raised and repaired.

We have been discussing whether or not re-instate it at all due to the extra wear on the range as well as the fact that we only have 5 members that were certified.

Not to cause an argument, but what part of owning FA makes you more effecient with using a gun?

I thought owning FA just meant you had lots of Money?

I read somewhere, Owning a gun simply makes you a gun owner, not a shooter.
    You asked a valid question with regards to being efficient. I don't think such a question asked constitutes an argument. What I consider efficient, may not be considered efficient by others whom have had additional training. As far as "extra wear" on the range. I will submit that, tight groups from full autos cause less damage than others using shotguns with nothing more than plywood substrate to hang their paper targets on.
    You stated, "You only have 5 members that are certified." What does that mean?

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by SiouxWarrior View Post
    If it is a liability factor, I submit that those of us who own & shoot these types of firearms (notice I did not call them weapons. Which I hear often), are not only more efficient with the handle ling of these guns, but are also, no more a liability than some one who has just purchased their first gun.
    I was refering to this statement. I read this as you saying that just owning FA makes you a more resposible shooter.

As far as certified, I explained that members had to go through the FA class with a range officer. Then they get "Full Auto Certified" printed on their membership card. We've only had 5 current members do this.

(Adams County)

Not that it metters, but I would disagree with your shotgun analogy. A shotgun with shot won't cause near the wear as a rifle, simply by means of penetration.

Either way, gun clubs are private property and make their own rules. I joined my club because it is not a hunting club. There is no slow shooting rule. We run a hot range, can draw and shoot from concealment. We can shoot in a 180 degree field of fire. We allow sillhouette targets, and any thing you can legally own and shoot (except for the 1/4 scale civil war cannon that one member wanted to bring).

(Chester County)

Sounds like a decent club. Most clubs that surround the general Philadelphia area do not allow 1/2 of what you stated. Too bad I live so far away.

(Fulton County)

come on over buddy ill take you to my range you can shoot full auto as my guest

(Chester County)

I am in Chester County too and belong to Kimberton Fish & Game. I don't know the reason but would speculate that it might not be too endearing to the neighbors. Believe me, I know they knew they were moving next to a range when they bought their houses, but let's face it, a couple big days of full auto blasting away might make them second guess their decision. There is a police only range outside of West Chester and it keeps coming under fire for the volume of shooting going on from neighbors. If they want they can raise a stink and who knows what will happen, I think the gun clubs think better safe than sorry, better to have a range with a 5 round limit, than having guys unloading 30 round mags, and then having complaints, and soon enough no range at all.

Also If you make these restrictions it is easier for the gun clubs to justify their existence as places hunters go to sight in there deer rifles, and we all know even fast Eddie doesn't object to that. But a place where rednecks make youtube videos blasting away with assault rifles is tougher to justify.

I am on your side, the most fun you will have is when you can just unload, I don't think these clubs are full of fudds, they are just being realistic.

DJturnz, I used to live in Gettysburg, then McSherrystown, I was a member at McSherrystown Fish & Game and worked at the jail when it was on Biglerville rd. Hopefully Adams County won't ever get as developed as Chester County is, we are fortunate to have as many ranges as we have.

(Montgomery County)

I was refering to this statement. I read this as you saying that just owning FA makes you a more resposible shooter.

As far as certified, I explained that members had to go through the FA class with a range officer. Then they get "Full Auto Certified" printed on their membership card. We've only had 5 current members do this.

how exactly is this "range officer" certified to certify aybody on a gun he doesn't own?

sounds like feelgood horsecrap for me, unless the guy is himself certified with every full auto a civvie can posess.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

We have been discussing whether or not re-instate it at all due to the extra wear on the range

Well i'll disagree with that. a bullet out of a F/A is exactly the same as any other bullet.

If I shoot 1000 rds out of a G17 and 1000rds out of a F/A UZI which one caused more wear?

I suppose you could argue that f/a shooters tend to shoot more rounds down range in one session than average non F/A shooters. However i'd argue that the F/A shooters have less outings (yearly) than non F/A shooters. So much so that I belive the average (ISPC IDPA) shooter shoots Way more rounds/yr than the average F/A shooter.

Its your private club you can do what you want. I personally don't care if you do or don't allow F/A.

However

Just come out and say you dont allow it/like it because of the "stigma"
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast