Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't just look

(York County)

Default can't just look

I shouldn't go to gun stores anymore with the plan of just looking because I can't do it. Bought my first pistol (glock 23 gen 4) a month or two ago which im really liking so far, shoots great with no malfunctions as of yet. I decided my lonely collection of guns (the other being a S&W m&p15) needed a new friend.

So after reading a lot about 1911's and shooting a few I decided to go look at some for myself after work. Well I failed at just looking and left the store with an RIA 1911 tactical. Looking forward to shooting it soon to see how she runs but that might get held up due to possibly going on deployment shortly.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: can't just look

Join the club. I can't count how many pistols I've purchased over the last 18 months or so (has to be about 25). I've done lots of trades, and my collection is now at 8. Like you, I need to just stay away (aside from price, another good reason to get ammo at Walmart if they have it). Otherwise, despite my best intentions, I generally leave with a gun. Or, if not, the wheels start turning ("what can I trade"), and I go back. It's a sickness for which there's only one treatment: Another gun!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(York County)

This is an addiction i'm alright with having, much better then other ones out there. Now I just gotta get back to Pa in June so I can start carrying and see how that helps the addiction.

(Washington County)

Talking Re: can't just look

I have to agree with the sentiment here... I have the addiction in a big way.. I used to have guns growing up, bought my first pistol, a beretta 92fs .9mm, after seeing Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon. Carried it for 5 years from 1990 through 1995 when the LTCF expired. I sold it when I got engaged. Fast forward to 2003, my brother gave me a pistol for Christmas that year, a Star Firestar model 43 in .9mm. I put a few hundred rounds through it, but mostly it stayed in the night stand next to the bed, with a flashlight and a spare cell phone.

Then in 2008, out of the blue, I decided to buy a pistol. Always hated the way the glock (gen 1) looked, so I never bought one. In 2008 I tried a Glock 23 .40 and decided I liked it enough to buy it.. Was torn between it and the .21sf which fit my hand better, and decided to get both. then over the next 2.5 years, I have added 5 pistols and 3 rifles, and I now have a Kimber Pro Raptor II on layaway, and soon after that I will be adding 2-3 more glocks in 2011, as well as an XDm and an HK USP45, possibly another 1911 and another revolver in either .44 mag or larger through 2012.

Oh yeah, its like a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter.. LOL

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mtcalder View Post
    This is an addiction i'm alright with having, much better then other ones out there. Now I just gotta get back to Pa in June so I can start carrying and see how that helps the addiction.
    Last edited by dmcdonnell; March 18th, 2011 at 12:24 AM.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

My name is StrangeKnight.

It has been one week since my last gun shop visit.

I realized I had a problem when I started naming my guns after my kids and my mail started being delivered at the local gunstore. My wife is threatening to leave me if I do not stop my obsession. It has been a serious strain trying to decide between her and the guns, so I am afraid I am going to have to let her go. I can own more than one gun - legally and the gun only malfunctions once in a great while and when it does I get to have fun stripping it down and lubricating it vs. when the wife malfunctions ( once a month ) and I got to run to the local drug store for tampons and ear plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeKnight View Post
    My name is StrangeKnight.

My wife is threatening to leave me if I do not stop my obsession. It has been a serious strain trying to decide between her and the guns, so I am afraid I am going to have to let her go.
    Don't let that happen just yet. When the wife is gone, the Enzyte is kicking in, and all you have is the barrel of a .45, you learn to get a grip on your obsession. I found this out the hard way. Happy shooting!

(Monroe County)

I was able to resist the urge the other day but barely. My car is in the shop and it's going to be expensive. But if it wasn't I would have walked out with a mosin nagant, a heritage rough rider and a Rossi 2" .357.

Best o luck with your RIA. I love mine. It's an excellent gun for the price and will just fuel your addiction even more.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mtcalder View Post
    I can tell you one thing, carrying will not help. It will put you on the long and treacherous road to finding the perfect carry gun. And then once you find it you'll decide that it's not perfect and you need something different... "Oooooooo, never tried a Kahr before, lets get one!" Or, "I know this Glock is identical to one I already have, but it's OD green!! Cool!"
    Seriously. It's a sickness.

You'll buy another Glock or two, try 1911s, maybe try out some other plastic pistols, get a revolver, then you'll get real into DA/SA, buy something stupid you don't need, get some .22s, and then you'll do it all over again. I'm having fun.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I can tell you one thing, carrying will not help. It will put you on the long and treacherous road to finding the perfect carry gun.
    Amen. That (carrying) marked the beginning of the end for me. Oh, and of course, for every potentially perfect carry gun, there's a holster. It truly never ends.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Amen. That (carrying) marked the beginning of the end for me. Oh, and of course, for every potentially perfect carry gun, there's a holster. It truly never ends.
    And not just a holster, a cheap holster when you first get the gun, a nice holster when you find the gun reliable to carry, and then some $200 top of the line leather, because nothing is too good for your baby. The worst part is in 6 months you get rid of the gun and you're stuck with the $200 custom holster! And no one wants to give you more than fifty bucks for it.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast