Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default What to feed an M&P 9?

I got to fire 100 rounds through an M&P 9 Full Sized a few days back and I am in love with the pistol: Low Recoil, Smooth Trigger, Accurate in the hands of a newb and it went bang every time. I know for sure I will buy this pistol but I had one nagging concern, is the M&P fussy with the ammo you feed it? I have heard S&W warns against using +P+ ammo in this pistol and I am fine with that, however how does it handle these ammo types:

Steel Cased
    9mm NATO
    +P
    JHP
    HP
    FMJ

It's important I know this pistol will take most types of ammo I throw at it, I want to get good with it so I will be taking it out whenever I get a chance and I will be feeding it with whatever cheap bulk ammo I can find. Thanks.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; March 17th, 2011 at 05:02 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: What to feed an M&P 9?

Really all you can do is get some of each when you get your pistol and try them. pistols and be finicky about ammo types or it may eat everything you put into it. Also, when testing the different types of ammo, watch you targats, see what ammo shoots the best and gives you the best POA vs POI. Again, the pistol you buy may have a propensity for one or two types of ammo.

All that said, get the pistol, get some inexpensive ammo like WWB and get some rounds through it before doing the experiments. Get the gun broken in first, then see what it may like best. If you a handloader, you can make up rounds of all different combinations to test to see what it likes best.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Really all you can do is get some of each when you get your pistol and try them. pistols and be finicky about ammo types or it may eat everything you put into it. Also, when testing the different types of ammo, watch you targats, see what ammo shoots the best and gives you the best POA vs POI. Again, the pistol you buy may have a propensity for one or two types of ammo.

All that said, get the pistol, get some inexpensive ammo like WWB and get some rounds through it before doing the experiments. Get the gun broken in first, then see what it may like best. If you a handloader, you can make up rounds of all different combinations to test to see what it likes best.
    Yes I learned this the hard way, my M&P 15-22 for example only likes super high velocity ammo or the action doesn't cycle properly. I still got some CCI ammo sitting around await for me to get another .22LR firearm to shoot it from. I guess I will hit up Wal-Mart and get a box or two of steel cased plus some brass cased and see what she likes.

(Clinton County)

I can't say about the 9, but my M&P 45 will eat anything I've put in it so far, hp,jhp,fmj's, the m&p line in my opinion is superb! I've never had one ftf, fte, or any issue of any kind. Next on my list is the 40.
    P.E.t.A.=people eating tasty animals!!!

My cheap Sigma handles any of the above reliably (except that I haven't tried steel cased), so if your gun doesn't, S&W should fix it.

(Centre County)

My M&P9 and 9c will eat anything. I've shot everything from your list, excluding reloads, and have had zero problems. Can't say the same about my G23 (oooohhhhhh, the horror.......). YMMV.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Pike County)

Excellent, thanks everyone. I think I feel confident enough to feed this pistol whatever I find. I will have to hit up Wal-Mart, see what they have and get some ideas.

(Delaware County)

I shoot mostly Winchester White Box value packs from Wal-Mart but I've shot Silver and Brown Bear FMJ Winchester Ranger nickle plated HP's Remington FMJ Speer Lawman and Tula FMJ and it has never had a malfunction. About 2700 rounds through it.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by wally36 View Post
    I shoot mostly Winchester White Box value packs from Wal-Mart but I've shot Silver and Brown Bear FMJ Winchester Ranger nickle plated HP's Remington FMJ Speer Lawman and Tula FMJ and it has never had a malfunction. About 2700 rounds through it.
    So you would feel confident feeding any type of ammo through your M&P? I am looking online at ammo and I see so many different manufactures I just want to be sure if I buy a case of ammo it will work. Now about the steel cased ammo, when you fired it through your M&P you cleaned it out before shooting brass cased ammo through it, right?

(Delaware County)

To answer your first question yes I feel comfortable feeding it whatever and secondly I clean my pistol after every time I shoot it regardless of which ammo use

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast