Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Have you made any accomodation because of age to keep shooting?

I was thinking the other night as I was pulling the slide back on my new Beretta pistol that some day I might not be able to do it. (pull that slide) I hope not. But, maybe that might happen. So I thought, would I quit shooting pistols and go to revolvers? I met a man in my local gun store (true story) who said because of his decreasing vision, due to sugar problems, that he was selling some of his non scoped firearms. Pretty sad. he had a nice Beretta O/U that he had at a fair price.

I have already dealt with this problem a little wearing reading glasses. I have concluded that it is better to see clear sites on the gun and a slightly fuzzy targets than vice-a-versa.

I know the topic is a little depressing. On the bright side I red about an 87 years old woman who got her first (I think) buck!

What accomodations have you had to make?

And, Merry Christmas to all of you.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Have you made any accomodation because of age to keep shooting?

Unfortunately I think that I'm going to have to go with you and the reading glasses thing in the near future. Perhaps I'll have special bi-focals made for shooting where I have clear glass in the top and a reading script in the bottom. It would at least let me check a target w/o having to take the glasses off.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I was thinking the other night as I was pulling the slide back on my new Beretta pistol that some day I might not be able to do it. (pull that slide) I hope not. But, maybe that might happen. So I thought, would I quit shooting pistols and go to revolvers? I met a man in my local gun store (true story) who said because of his decreasing vision, due to sugar problems, that he was selling some of his non scoped firearms. Pretty sad. he had a nice Beretta O/U that he had at a fair price.

I have already dealt with this problem a little wearing reading glasses. I have concluded that it is better to see clear sites on the gun and a slightly fuzzy targets than vice-a-versa.

I know the topic is a little depressing. On the bright side I red about an 87 years old woman who got her first (I think) buck!

My eyesight is no where near what it once was and my hands are no where near as steady.

The only accomodation I make is what I expect the target to look like when I'm done. (the days of "bull's eye" shooting are long gone for me)

Lots of people retain top notch physical ability long into their old age. Just keep exercising and keep your mind busy (so they say).

Merry Christmas to you too.

(Philadelphia County)

Start with a healthy lifestyle now and you'll have a lot more time before you become an invalid....that or die early.

(Erie County)

I haven't gotten their yet. My father is 83 now and he had a mild stroke last year that left his right eye cloudy. He hasn't hunted in a few years now and I know he misses it. He has said his eye problem means he can't use a scope anymore but he showed interest again when I was telling him that I have shot right handed using my left eye on rifles my whole life. Unless the stock has an unusually high comb I just put extra cheek to the stock and sight with my left eye.

If or when my sight starts to let me down I'll likely add laser grips to all my defensive handguns. I hope I'm never too old to hunt.

(Delaware County)

Yeah, there've been a couple of adjustments. I don't have anywhere near the visual acuity I used to nor the depth of focus, so I find I'm enjoying the scoped rifles more and the iron sighted ones less. I'm tending toward diabetic, and find I have to be careful of what I eat before going to the range: too much or too little blood sugar makes for crappy shot groups. Also, I'm shooting more .38 Spcl. and less .357 Mag out of the revolver in deference to my aching wrists.

(Susquehanna County)

Talking Re: Have you made any accomodation because of age to keep shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D. View Post
    and find I have to be careful of what I eat before going to the range: too much or too little blood sugar makes for crappy shot groups.
    I know what you mean I have the same problem. Insulation 2x a day. But if the blood sugars drop I'll shoot at anyone who pisses me off. (Joke) However I do find I get angry easier if the blood suger changes. Glad friends realize that.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    But if the blood sugars drop I'll shoot at anyone who pisses me off. (Joke)
    I haven't noticed that effect. Yet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    I know what you mean I have the same problem. Insulation 2x a day. But if the blood sugars drop I'll shoot at anyone who pisses me off. (Joke) However I do find I get angry easier if the blood suger changes. Glad friends realize that.
    Did your doctor tell you to wear a jacket for your diabetes?

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post

Well you got the problem of the sights down correctly ( at least for practice sessions). 'Course racking the slide could get a little tough but if you like Berettas anyhow you could always get one of the tip-up barrel models. If you're having vision problems you could always go with red dots on your target pistols, but you'll still need to wear your prescription readers. They work fine for bullseye, falling plates & bowling pins.

Most important though! Just keep having fun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast