Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default EXCELLENT OC encounter at 7-Eleven

I decided to stop in the convenience store this evening to grab a bite to eat since I don't feel like cooking. As I get to the register to ask the fellow working there to get me a couple of corndogs, a guy about my age pointed out my Glock.

"Whoa, do you have a carry permit for that thing? Are they giving out unconcealed permits now?"
    "Well, I do have a License, but open carry doesn't need one out here."
    "Well, I have a permit, but it says it's a CONCEALED permit."
    "Where did you get it from?"
    "Here, Pennsylvania."
    "You have a License to Carry Firearms - not a concealed carry permit."
    "It says 'the purpose of this permit is to carry a concealed weapon' right on it."

I took out my LTCF and handed it to him.

"I will give you $50 if you can show me anywhere on there where it says 'concealed.'"

He scans over it for a couple seconds, while recounting a story where four local LEOs drew down on him and gave him a ton of shit about carrying when an old lady saw him printing in a gas station once. He hands me the LTCF back, defeated.

"Hang on, let me get mine."

He finishes his purchase and runs out to the car, getting his LTCF. He comes back in and stands there for a few moments, trying to find the word 'concealed.' Obviously, he failed.

"I think you got me...but man, I thought it had to be concealed."
    "Pennsylvania is an 'open carry' state - as long as you are over 18 and not a prohibited person, you can carry openly anywhere in the state, with a few exceptions like in Philly and within 1000ft of a school."

At this point, someone else came into the store, and interjected.

"Yeah, open carry is totally legal in PA - don't let anyone hassle you for it if they try to tell you otherwise."

The guy who started the conversation headed out after telling me he was surprised, since he's a firearms instructor at a local military base, and making a comment about how the gun laws in NJ suck ass.

I couldn't help but think to myself, "I love when people who don't know the law try to tell me what the law is."
    Junior

(Tioga County)

Default Re: EXCELLENT OC encounter at 7-Eleven

He did get the part about NJ correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I decided to stop in the convenience store this evening to grab a bite to eat since I don't feel like cooking. As I get to the register to ask the fellow working there to get me a couple of corndogs, a guy about my age pointed out my Glock.

"Whoa, do you have a carry permit for that thing? Are they giving out unconcealed permits now?"
    "Well, I do have a License, but open carry doesn't need one out here."
    "Well, I have a permit, but it says it's a CONCEALED permit."
    "Where did you get it from?"
    "Here, Pennsylvania."
    "You have a License to Carry Firearms - not a concealed carry permit."
    "It says 'the purpose of this permit is to carry a concealed weapon' right on it."

I took out my LTCF and handed it to him.

"I will give you $50 if you can show me anywhere on there where it says 'concealed.'"

He scans over it for a couple seconds, while recounting a story where four local LEOs drew down on him and gave him a ton of shit about carrying when an old lady saw him printing in a gas station once. He hands me the LTCF back, defeated.

"Hang on, let me get mine."

He finishes his purchase and runs out to the car, getting his LTCF. He comes back in and stands there for a few moments, trying to find the word 'concealed.' Obviously, he failed.

"Pennsylvania is an 'open carry' state - as long as you are over 18 and not a prohibited person, you can carry openly anywhere in the state, with a few exceptions like in Philly and within 1000ft of a school."

At this point, someone else came into the store, and interjected.

"Yeah, open carry is totally legal in PA - don't let anyone hassle you for it if they try to tell you otherwise."

The guy who started the conversation headed out after telling me he was surprised, since he's a firearms instructor at a local military base, and making a comment about how the gun laws in NJ suck ass.

I couldn't help but think to myself, "I love when people who don't know the law try to tell me what the law is."
    USNRET '61-'81

Cheap bastard! I always bet them $100

(Carbon County)

I would have written concealed wif my crayon on mine while getting it out of my car,, just for the $50... just sayin.. Did he say what base?

(Indiana County)

You wouldn't happen to remember the Pennsylvania statute number for that 1,000-feet-of-a-school bit, would you? I can't remember what it was.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    You wouldn't happen to remember the Pennsylvania statute number for that 1,000-feet-of-a-school bit, would you? I can't remember what it was.
    Doesn't exist of course

I caught that myself. I'll let him figure it out, he'll remember it that way.

Still, nice encounters.

(Don't sleep tonight )

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Doesn't exist of course

I caught that myself. I'll let him figure it out, he'll remember it that way.

Still, nice encounters.

(Don't sleep tonight )
    Pa doesn't but there is a Federal Statute right? Or will I not be sleeping tonight either? lol
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Delaware County)

It's a federal law. I just said it was an exception to the "OC everywhere" rule of thumb.
    Junior

Oh 18 not 21? Hell I thought federal law prohibited the carrying of a hand gun for those under 21? Maybe that's just to buy a handgun?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    Oh 18 not 21? Hell I thought federal law prohibited the carrying of a hand gun for those under 21? Maybe that's just to buy a handgun?
    18 to open carry
    21 to purchase a firearm from an FFL
    18 to purchase a firearm from a non-FFL (private sale and a sheriff would transfer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast