Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Custom gunsmithing screwdriver?

I recently purchased a set of new Hogue grips for a Berretta 92F which came with walnut grips when it was purchased in 1985. Unfortunately, the grip screws in the pistol are not typical standard screws and I do not have the proper screwdriver needed to safely remove them.

With that said, does anyone know where I can get a custom gunsmithing screwdriver made to the specifications I need? I've had no luck finding anything, as it seems most gunsmithing places only stock pre-set (popular) screwdrivers (Forsters is a good example of this).

Anyway, the custom screwdriver needs to have a straight blade, NON-wedge type screwdriver wth the blade tip in the following size:

Screw slot diameter: .300
    Screw slot width: .025

I've already looked at Brownells, and while they do have a screwdriver bit, they don't actually have a screwdriver in this size (which is what I prefer).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Custom gunsmithing screwdriver?

When gunsmiths come upon an unusual-sized screw, they get a good quality screwdriver and custom grind the bit to fit the screw. The American Rifleman had an article about this topic. You may have to go this route in order to avoid damage to the screw.

(Lycoming County)

I've already looked at Brownells, and while they do have a screwdriver bit, they don't actually have a screwdriver in this size (which is what I prefer).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks![/QUOTE]

you may just have to buy the bit. i do agree with you, i also would like a whole screwdriver. but it seems all gunsmith sets are mostly bits. and at the price of the bit sets, i would hate to see the price of a full size screwdriver set.

(Indiana County)

Searching for an exact size in a hollow ground screwdriver might be difficult considering all of the thousands of different screw heads used over the years on every different firearm.

Close to the one you need:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=730488

I suggest you just pick up a set and then stone the tips to fit your specific application.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS075-1.html

I have a Snap-On hollow ground set that I've had for years, they are warrantied forever but are long shank so they can be tricky to use sometimes, I don't even know if they are still available as a set.

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    you may just have to buy the bit. i do agree with you, i also would like a whole screwdriver.
    Agreed, it makes removing screws much easier and gives a better sense of security and confidence when you know there is no "play" with a screw stick as there is with a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Searching for an exact size in a hollow ground screwdriver might be difficult considering all of the thousands of different screw heads used over the years on every different firearm.
    Brownells has a Thin-Bit that is thankfully the size I'm looking for. I'm just concerned that the bit is of the wedge type and not hollow ground. Looking at the description of the product, there's nothing that says that the bits are hollow ground? Or am I missing something?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...__THIN_BIT_SET

(Indiana County)

Those appear to be hollow ground bits, if you click on the product number, there is a Q&A where you can ask a question, they may answer.

(Beaver County)

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil4Life View Post
    Agreed, it makes removing screws much easier and gives a better sense of security and confidence when you know there is no "play" with a screw stick as there is with a bit.

Brownells has a Thin-Bit that is thankfully the size I'm looking for. I'm just concerned that the bit is of the wedge type and not hollow ground. Looking at the description of the product, there's nothing that says that the bits are hollow ground? Or am I missing something?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...__THIN_BIT_SET

The Brownells' link is Magna-Tip brand, so they are definitely hollow ground.

Good luck!

(Lebanon County)

Maybe I am over thinking this a bit but they are only grip screws.

I can appreciate you wanting to have the best/right tool for the job but at the same time its not like the screws are lock tighted in or have some huge amount of torque applied to them.

I have honestly removed 100's of grips from beretta's due to my job and never have had an issue with a regular screwdriver.

With them being wood grips I would cover them with some kind of tape to protect them if the screwdriver were to slip out for some reason.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by wheeling365 View Post
    I have honestly removed 100's of grips from beretta's due to my job and never have had an issue with a regular screwdriver.
    A regular screwdriver would do the trick, but their tips are wedge shaped, not straight (hollow ground). This could cause the screw head slot to become buggered, and since this pistol has tremendous sentimental value to me, that last thing I want to do is cause damage to the weapon.

As an aside, I'm very anal when it comes to selecting the right tool for the job, and I chalk this up to a decade in the USAF as an aircraft mechanic on F-16's.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeling365 View Post
    With them being wood grips I would cover them with some kind of tape to protect them if the screwdriver were to slip out for some reason.
    Thanks for the tip! I will definitely do this! =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast