Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Collier Sportsman Club

I was curious if anyone here was a member of the Collier Sportsman Club. I live in Oakdale and was looking for a good sportsmans club. I bought my first rifle and I am buying a handgun, and wanted somewhere to go shooting, but somewhere family friendly where I can take my kids and wife to hang out. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Collier Sportsman Club

Quote Originally Posted by rpmcclafferty View Post
    I was curious if anyone here was a member of the Collier Sportsman Club. I live in Oakdale and was looking for a good sportsmans club. I bought my first rifle and I am buying a handgun, and wanted somewhere to go shooting, but somewhere family friendly where I can take my kids and wife to hang out. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
    I live in Bridgeville and drive to Pitcairin /Monroeville to shoot.
    Collier, Dormont Mt Lebo are close but have fairly restrictive range rules. Limited # of rounds in a weapon, NO presentations from the holster.

McDonald would be OK if they open their membership again. They are higher priced than many unless you do numerous work parties ( I think 150/yr if you don't).

I guess it's all in what you want and need.

(Allegheny County)

I joined Collier Sportsman club last June, after a client of mine informed me that they had changed some of their restrictive range rules.

My wife and I go there 2x each month, usually during the morning hours and are able to run our drills without any problems. While I understand, that it is not as "progressive" as PMSC, it is a very short ride from our house in the South Hills and works pretty good for us to get in our practice sessions.

I no longer really do any rifle or shotgun work, so I havn't even looked into the rifle or shotgun ranges, though I know that they have them.

As far as being "family friendly where I can take my kids and wife to hang out", I really can't answer that question since we go there strictly to work on our drills. I know that they have some basic NRA handgun courses, hunter education, and the Young American Shooting Club offered throughout the year.

Here is the link to the club,
    http://www.colliersportsmens.org/
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

I have never been to Collier but everyone that I know that is a member there loves it! My business is about 5 minutes from there so I was planning on joining my self. Subscribing for feedback...

Mike

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    I joined Collier Sportsman club last June, after a client of mine informed me that they had changed some of their restrictive range rules.

My wife and I go there 2x each month, usually during the morning hours and are able to run our drills without any problems. While I understand, that it is not as "progressive" as PMSC, it is a very short ride from our house in the South Hills and works pretty good for us to get in our practice sessions.

Here is the link to the club,
    http://www.colliersportsmens.org/
    Otto, if they have changed some of the rules, I would consider joining.. I didn't see what the range rules are. Did i miss it in the link?
    I would like to shoot closer to home.

Thanks

(Allegheny County)

The rules are in a pdf off the resources link. Here's the one I didn't like:

6. Center fire rifles up to and including 7.62 x 51 (.308), are permitted, and may have up to 10
    rounds loaded in the magazine. Use caution and courtesy when firing multiple rounds.
    Now I've got a pile of AK mags, but a 10 round limit is lame. If I want to blast an entire 30 round mag, I have to do it on the 200 yard range according to the rules. My eyes just aren't that good to hit much of anything with an AK at 200 yards.

(Allegheny County)

I belonged there for two years, of which I wouldn't even go the last six months. My basic problem is that it seems to be a bar with a shooting range. The target holders were always trashed and falling apart but I'll be willing to bet the beer order is always filled.

The police showed up one time as I was packing up because a bullet had hit a house(in the opposite direction), I assured the officer that all of my rounds had been into the backstop. After they left the RSO came up to the range to find out what they wanted and to check me out since I wasn't part of the "old boys club". Hammered, reeked like booze, slurring his speech, and swaying the whole time he was talking to me. I personally believe that the RSO should not have his judgment impaired either.

Another time(before I understood how clubs run there shotgun ranges) I inquired about getting the keys to the trap house. I was directed to a member who was sitting in the dark bar around noon on Labor Day. His answer was "we don't just let anybody use the trap machines" and proceeded to go back to his beer. No mention of when I could use them, it was like I had disturbed him in the middle of surgery or something.

My folks are still members there and it works for them as they don't shoot that much anymore and if they do it's in and out. If this is all you're looking for then it may work for you, but you mentioned family friendly and even though they do have youth days and parties I don't feel that it is.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    The rules are in a pdf off the resources link. Here's the one I didn't like:

Now I've got a pile of AK mags, but a 10 round limit is lame. If I want to blast an entire 30 round mag, I have to do it on the 200 yard range according to the rules. My eyes just aren't that good to hit much of anything with an AK at 200 yards.
    You don't have to put your targets out that far.

(Allegheny County)

What about McDonald? I heard some good things about them. It would actually be closer to me. Do they have all the same restrictions? I heard they have a fishing pond as well.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rpmcclafferty View Post
    What about McDonald? I heard some good things about them. It would actually be closer to me. Do they have all the same restrictions? I heard they have a fishing pond as well.
    I only shot there once. It seemed like a decent club.

I THINK ( ) the membership is closed for now.
    IIRC, the dues is about $80/yr if you do 6 or 8 yearly work parties and $150/yr if you choose not to.

This is old info so things may have changed.

They do have a 5 or 600 yd range if you like distance shooting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast