Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Romanian, Bulgarian or Polish?

Of those three, which 5.45x39mm AK would you choose and why?

I'm considering picking one up after my Garand purchase so I have a rifle that's cheaper to shoot than the Garand and won't take as long to gather the funds to purchase.

Don't worry about what kind of stock is on it as it will probably be replaced by an Ace folding stock unless someone can tell me where to find a reasonably priced underfolder in 5.45x39mm (assuming they exist outside of homebuilds).

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Romanian, Bulgarian or Polish?

Bulgarian or Polish Tantal as long as they have the original barrel. For whatever reason these US barrel manufacturers just can't seem to get it right on 5.45x39. Most of them are ok, but there's a lot of lemons out there still. (see Century Tantals & Lancaster Rough Riders)

For the extra couple of hundred bucks (at most) a good one with the original barrel can be had from www.atlanticfirearms.com or often in the classifieds.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    Bulgarian or Polish Tantal as long as they have the original barrel. For whatever reason these US barrel manufacturers just can't seem to get it right on 5.45x39. Most of them are ok, but there's a lot of lemons out there still. (see Century Tantals & Lancaster Rough Riders)

For the extra couple of hundred bucks (at most) a good one with the original barrel can be had from www.atlanticfirearms.com or often in the classifieds.
    This purchase is planned to be on the cheap. That's why I plan on going with the 5.45mm instead of the 7.62mm. Ammo is a lot cheaper and I plan on stockpiling the hell out of it while I can.

(Allegheny County)

If you can find a WASR2, buy it. Real sleepers 'cause their WASRs. Mine's a great shooter and has the factory chomed barrel. Same for a SAR2.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    Don't worry about what kind of stock is on it as it will probably be replaced by an Ace folding stock unless someone can tell me where to find a reasonably priced underfolder in 5.45x39mm (assuming they exist outside of homebuilds).
    5.45 were never made with UFs. You would have to have a smith modify one to work with an UF. I know PA Patriot has done them in the past.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Bulgy,Polish, or Romanian. Like NFAFAN said, the WASR2 are actually pretty nice AKs. Also, look for 5.45 Saigas.

There are a ton of Bulgy 5.45 out there, so you will most likely see more of them. Although, people like hold on to them so maybe not.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Lebanon County)

problem with the polish, is cai screwed so many of them up with incorrect barrels. if you have not already read up on them, you might want to.....do not be tempted by a cheap tantal.
    mine did not come from them and has been a blast.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    This purchase is planned to be on the cheap. That's why I plan on going with the 5.45mm instead of the 7.62mm. Ammo is a lot cheaper and I plan on stockpiling the hell out of it while I can.
    Believe me, I get it. If you're thinking cheap, then go cheap, and grab one of the CAI Bulgarians that are under $400. We know that their Tantals are a crapshoot. The Bulgy is cheaper and will take standard AK furniture. If you're going to take a risk, take a cheap risk.

I've heard good things so far, but not a lot of people have bought the CAI Bulgarians because of the whole Tantal debacle. For as low as $369, I think it'll be tough to go wrong though.

(Northampton County)

I was reading an article, I can't remember who wrote it, about an AK they had built a while back. They put the Ace sidefolding steel tube stock on it along with a rear sight setup that replaced the top cover and added an A2 style rear sight.

That's what got me thinking about the AK and when I saw the 5.45 ammo for as cheap as it is, I decided that if I was going AK, I'd go 5.45mm before 7.62mm.

The writer did do a couple things to his AK that I wouldn't do. Personally I'd want to add a flash hider over a muzzle brake and I won't buy a milled receiver AK no matter what caliber it is.

Now if I could only find 75rd drums for the 5.45mm AKs. Lol (I've never seen one in my life so I'm assuming they don't exist)

(Allegheny County)

I would go for the Bulgarian rifle in 5.45. Outside of that you could always get a Saiga and convert it slowly into AKM format to spread the monetary damage out over time. At least then you are getting a real barrel. After the Tantal sideways bullet debacle I'm not touching anything American in 5.45.

You can get a Saiga for $339.

(Montgomery County)

They put the Ace sidefolding steel tube stock on it along with a rear sight setup that replaced the top cover and added an A2 style rear sight.
    If the ACE sidefolder fits into any AK stock then you could probably put one on the Polish tantal. You can swap out the Tantal side folder with a regular stock.

I'd recommend ohiorapidfire (that is where I got my Bulgy side folder) but I heard they are about to go out of business.

These Century Bulgies are pretty much the lowest price you'll find:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun74.aspx

Yeah there is the whole "US barrels are bad" claim, but does that mean every single US barrel is out of spec? No. I think it was earlier on Century got the wrong twist rate with their Tantals. It can't be a problem with 100 percent of the rifles or you'd hear more about it.

In theory, a WASR 2 has a Romanian barrel:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN12.aspx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast