Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Glock Barrel Question/Problem

Pistol in question is Glock 19

Looking down the barrel with a light source in front, and I can see, as best as I can describe, is a change in the "finish" on the inside about half way down. It starts off shiny, and then halfway down looks dull up to the muzzle. My friend describes it as a change in the rifling, said we saw a ring. I didnt, I think you could describe the change as being a ring though, because its a perfect symmetrical change. There is absolutely no barrel bulge visible from the outside. The rifling goes all the way down, but half way down, I can definitely see a change of some sort. I dont remember is always being like this. Is that normal? Im thinking maybe glock chrome lines the rear of the barrel at the chamber end? Only thing I can think of.

I cant get a good picture with my phone, any glock owners know what Im talking about or is this a problem that I caused. As discussed with a friend maybe I have been shooting with too much oil in my barrel? I do lube up the barrel a little with CLP when Im cleaning it. I use it exactly as what its for, to clean lube and protect. I def dont shoot with a wet barrel, its always been at least a week after I clean my gun until I shoot again, whatever is in the barrel from a wet CLP patch is dry by then. But I can recall that on some days, the final patch I ran through the barrel may not have been a completely dry patch.

What you guys think?
    Anyone have pictures of what a problematic barrel would look like? Im no expert by any means
    Last edited by GunMan21; March 15th, 2011 at 12:11 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Glock Barrel Question/Problem

My barrel doesn't look like that. I have about 1500rds through it. A couple hundred of which were Pakistani surplus.

You shoot lead or reloads?

Try cleaning the barrel with a boresnake and running it dry. See if maybe it is powder buildup.

Are you using reloads as Asmodeus6 asked? That might be a problem.

my 17, 19,and 26 do not look like this. May I suggest a run through with hoppes 9 followed by a wire brush tip.

(Lehigh County)

Not using reloads, only factory ammo. I did realize though its been a while since I cleaned the gun, I didnt clean it after my last couple range session (though it was only a few mags) Friday Im going to give it a good cleaning and see if it brightens up the dull portion.

(Allegheny County)

Seriously clean the barrel with a brush and see if it's still like that.

I thought you had already done so. It might just be fouling that has adhered to the barrel since it's overdue for a good scrubbing.

(Montgomery County)

How does it shoot? That's what I would be most concerned with, personally (assuming it is not so bad as to be a safety hazard).

I have a 2nd gen G19 made in 1994 that, while nearly pristine in exterior condition as well as basically no wear to the interior components, does exhibit some very slight pitting in the bore (only visible upon VERY close examination w/ a direct light source).

That G19 shoots tighter than I can hold it - So I have decided that I do not have a problem

Also, I second the scrubbing of the bore before deciding what's what.

Regards,

Bones

If you haven't already, get yourself some good copper solvent.

(Butler County)

I just took mine apart and looked. It looks the same the whole length, Dirty.
    So I cleaned the darn thing. Now it looks the same the whole length, clean and shiny. Give it a good cleaning, see if that clears it up.

(Lancaster County)

Clean it. Glocks, though they can be run dirty as heck, also DESERVE a good cleaning too. Take no offense to this whatsoever, but I would have cleaned it first before even thinking about possibly having a problem. A good copper wire brush and some good old hoppes should help clear it up. If you want to, soak it in a little gunscrubber first just to losen up some of the gunk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast