Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default first pistol purchase

im turning 21 in a week and decided to get myself a birthday gift, went out just looking to get a feel for different models i may like. walked in and a taurus 24/7 pro was calling to me felt great in my hand and was priced at $320 ended up looking at a few shops but came back to the taurus

the owner gave me a great price on a trade in for a ruger 96 .22 that i used as a down deposit until i turn 21 and can pick up my new toy

so in a week or two ill be bringing home my taurus 24/7 pro stainless in 9mm 17 round clip

when i left my house i was looking at getting a .40 or .45 but the shop only had the 9mm in, the owner told me he could order me the same gun in any caliber i wanted but when i thought about it the 9mm suited my needs because it will allow me to shoot more with ammo being cheaper and lighter recoil so i can get a solid form as i start into the pistol world. im also applying for my ltcf

i am happy with my choice because i wanted a solid pistol that i can shoot a lot and wouldnt break the bank being my first pistol and from what i read the 24/7 has a good reputation.

so i have a deposit on the 24/7
    ordered a Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe
    picking up a holster when i get the gun
    picking up lots of ammo to shoot when i get the gun
    anything else i need?
    Last edited by mikey30067; March 14th, 2011 at 09:44 PM.

(Centre County)

Talking Re: first pistol purchase

Extra magazines
    Ammo
    More ammo
    Extra magazines
    Ammo

(Beaver County)

Default Re: first pistol purchase

Just off the top of my head...

Hearing protection
    Eye protection
    Targets (and tape/staple gun if they aren't sticky)
    A good stiff bottom duffel bag for carrying everything
    A container or ziplock bag for your brass

(Bradford County)

only other thing i can think of that has not been mentioned is

HAVE FUN!, Be Safe!.

An IDPA membership. Blue Ridge Cherry Valley has shoots once a month and are close to or in Monroe county. Here's the link to their site:

http://www.brcv-gun.org/

All you need to play is a holster, 3 mags, double mag pouch and a shirt to conceal your gun. Most matches are around 100 rds and they usually charge $10 to shoot. You don't need to be a member to start and new shooters are always welcomed. Shoot a little, get used to the gun. Get comfortable drawing and reloading then go to a shoot. It's so much fun. I just started two years ago and really regret not starting when I was 21. USPSA and IPSC are also really cool but IDPA is a little easier to get started in. Check out some youtube videos and see what you think.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Along with posts 2&3, a better job to support your blossoming addiction. I have taken to begging for loose ammo near shops and ranges. I have prosituted myself by giving hand jobs to Mosins for a box of cheap rounds. My clothes tend to be unwashed, my children eat irregularly and I have built my own reloading lab. My address is '94 Explorer. I am an outcast in my soccer mom/mini van suburban community now. I know it is only a matter of time before I begin shooting up full autos, I have resigned myself to this inevitability because I am weak, the draw is too strong.

The taste of freedom came to me at about your age. I didn't know it would lead to this prediciment I have found myself in. I only date women who know a .38 can be shot from a .357 but a .357 can't be shot from a .38. I shun myself from those who run from the 2A like vampires run from sunlight. I have taken to contacting my representatives and engaging in pro-gun political activities.

The road your about to travel is full of pitfalls. Groceries or a new GP100 and Ramen Noodles? You will purchase some oddball or POS gun for no reasonable purpose. Your car will know how to get to the range without your input. Gunbroker.com knows you by your first name.

Your children will mention a trip to the range in school and be expelled but you don't care because children are never bullied or attacked at ranges. You know you can teach them the Constitution better than school can anyway. besides that they only need to know how to read a reloading chart, range card and American Rifleman.

There are no rehabs, there are no support groups. But there are reloads and gun clubs.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikey30067 View Post
    anything else i need?

To not fight the urge to buy your next pistol. I started down this slippery slope in May last year when I turned 21. One pistol is never enough. But man is it fun.

Be safe have fun!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Along with posts 2&3, a better job to support your blossoming addiction. I have taken to begging for loose ammo near shops and ranges. I have prosituted myself by giving hand jobs to Mosins for a box of cheap rounds. My clothes tend to be unwashed, my children eat irregularly and I have built my own reloading lab. My address is '94 Explorer. I am an outcast in my soccer mom/mini van suburban community now. I know it is only a matter of time before I begin shooting up full autos, I have resigned myself to this inevitability because I am weak, the draw is too strong.

The taste of freedom came to me at about your age. I didn't know it would lead to this prediciment I have found myself in. I only date women who know a .38 can be shot from a .357 but a .357 can't be shot from a .38. I shun myself from those who run from the 2A like vampires run from sunlight. I have taken to contacting my representatives and engaging in pro-gun political activities.

The road your about to travel is full of pitfalls. Groceries or a new GP100 and Ramen Noodles? You will purchase some oddball or POS gun for no reasonable purpose. Your car will know how to get to the range without your input. Gunbroker.com knows you by your first name.

Your children will mention a trip to the range in school and be expelled but you don't care because children are never bullied or attacked at ranges. You know you can teach them the Constitution better than school can anyway. besides that they only need to know how to read a reloading chart, range card and American Rifleman.

There are no rehabs, there are no support groups. But there are reloads and gun clubs.
    So true.

Ramen please!
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

TRAINING AND STUDY THE LAWS OF SELF DEFENSE.

(Luzerne County)

Cleaning kit. Gun lube. Targets. Staple gun. Range bag.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast