Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Model 1891 Mauser Argy

I just got on over the weekend and cleaned it up. It was sitting in my step fathers gun cabinet for a while. I hinted I wanted it and my fiance got it for me as a gift. +1 fiance!

Anyway. I have always admired old Mausers. I have wanted one for a while now. I always heard real good things about the accuracy that these relics amazingly have. I took it out to a 50 yard range not thinking about changes in ammo over the years. I think I may have hit paper once or twice, I am thinking in hindsight that I more than likely hit with one of my hand guns. I had a few reloads I wanted to cycle so I took them along that trip too. The main reason for the range trip was because I had to fire my new gun! But I was a little disappointed I shot so poorly with it. I mean at 50 yards with a rifle I should be, even with a new gun hit the target!

I am wondering if someone here that may have the same gun can give me some estimated starting points. Would it shoot high with modern ammo? If so how high? I am going to "wad" the bore as I have recently learned the proper term. If all checks out though I think I am back to the sights not figuring in for a flatter path. I realize I will have to do some trial and error. Not all guns fire identical.

I have some pictures I will post as soon as I figure out my photobucket acct info.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Model 1891 Mauser Argy

Yes trial and error is the way to go with these old Guns, they will shoot each batch diffrently , that is a part of the fun.

Norma makes the best ammo for this Gun, the Argy 1891 is one of the best Mausers ever made. I need to shoot mine more.

Did you use the rear sight step ladder style or did you fold it down? Folded down you should be on target to about 300 yards, only fold it up if you need to reach way out there.

Take the time to sight it in right.

Nyman

(Berks County)

Took her out again today. After about 12 rounds I had 'er shooting in about a 3-4" group at 100 yards. I am starting to figure out the old girl and she is still pretty accurate!

Is there a sight adjustment I can do? I mean i know anything is possible but is there some trick someone knows about? I thought about some sort of front sight extension.

(Erie County)

Pull the bolt out of it. Set it in a rest or sand bag it in so it is aimed at the bull. Look through the bore and center the muzzle end in the chamber end by moving your eye. the view through the bore should be slightly (2 inches) above the sight picture With the sight adjusted all the way down. This works very well for me, I can usually get very close to the bull this way. If you want to raise your group you either lower your front sight or raise the rear sight. You move the ft. sight the opposite way you want to move your group and move the rear sight in the direction you want your group to move, normally the ft sight is dove tailedso you can drift it left or right. The rear sight will move up and down by sliding the sight rest forward or back. The sights on mine are very fine which makes them harder to see with my eyes but it also makes for a more consistant sight picture and group. If none of this works I"ll take it off your hands,for $50.

(Berks County)

Haha!

It is not a sporterized one. In it's condition it is worth a little more than that. About $150ish. I wouldn't sell it anyway. I have wanted one for a while. I like old rifles and would like to get a small collection of them in any condition, preferably ones that can still fire!

(York County)

Prvi Partizan also loads 7.65x53mm Argentine, Cabela's sells it for $17.99 but they are currently backordered

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mp517prct View Post
    Prvi Partizan also loads 7.65x53mm Argentine, Cabela's sells it for $17.99 but they are currently backordered
    Yes I am aware of that. I reload so I wont be paying Cabela's for an over priced box of ammo. I picked up 150 rounds for $60. That was a little on the high side for me

(Erie County)

Just kidding about the $50 offer, just trying to make an ironic statement to show the desire to own the gun. Did not mean to insult you. Lighten up.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
    Just kidding about the $50 offer, just trying to make an ironic statement to show the desire to own the gun. Did not mean to insult you. Lighten up.
    No offense taken I know they aren't high dollar rifles. You can find them for $50, missing parts or otherwise trashed. Actually a gun shop near me has one in like perfect condition WITH the Argentine crest still on it, I would love to get that one. I'm still pondering it