Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor

(Allegheny County)

Cool Suppressor

saw video on utube of a guy firing a Kel-Tec SU 16 with a suppressor on it. Is that legal in Pa. Where and how much? Any special gun smithing needed?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Suppressor

Its legal provided you acquired the suppressor legally. The only NFA item completely banned in PA is explosive destructive devices.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 4th, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

yes, they are legal as long as you purchase it leaglly, as stated before. the permit is abouy $200. and the suppressor for a 9mm or 40s&w is about $200-$300. you must also buy a threaded barrell for your gun. and then all you do is thread the suppressor on. i got a quote for a .45 acp, it was $400 for the suppressor, $200 for the permit, and $100 for the barrell. not worth it to me.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfordman390 View Post
    yes, they are legal as long as you purchase it leaglly, as stated before. the permit is abouy $200. and the suppressor for a 9mm or 40s&w is about $200-$300. you must also buy a threaded barrell for your gun. and then all you do is thread the suppressor on. i got a quote for a .45 acp, it was $400 for the suppressor, $200 for the permit, and $100 for the barrell. not worth it to me.
    Its not really a permit at all. Its an application for manufacture or transfer, which requires a payment of a tax which is proved by a stamp. The stamp you get back if approved looks sorta like a postal stamp that has been canceled.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    saw video on utube of a guy firing a Kel-Tec SU 16 with a suppressor on it. Is that legal in Pa. Where and how much? Any special gun smithing needed?
    Start Here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...a-jaybell.html
    Last edited by Hawkeye54; April 5th, 2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling

(Allegheny County)

Smile Re: Suppressor

Thanks guys, I agree that is a real hassle, I think I'll just wear the ear muffs.

(Northampton County)

Thanks guys, I agree that is a real hassle, I think I'll just wear the ear muffs.
    It's not a hassle at all, it's very quick and easy. If you don't mind the $200 fee, go for it.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    It's not a hassle at all, it's very quick and easy. If you don't mind the $200 fee, go for it.
    I'll second that statement. It's not really a hassle, it just takes a little time and patience. It is a tax stamp that you pay the $200 for, just like the tax stamps (the "seal" that goes over the bottle or the pack is actually the tax stamp) on alcohol, cigarettes, etc.

Many dealers who sell the NFA stuff will do a lot of the form for you, you finish the form, get fingerprinted, have the CLEO sign off on the form, submit photos and the form and then wait for the stamp. The CLEO signature doesn't need to be done if the NFA item is going to be part of a trust or business, but then you have other things (business wise) to do.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

Really not much of a hassle, just be aware the stinking things are like chips, you can't stop with just one!!

One other thing, before you put a can on a short barrel rifle caliber, check with the manufacturer, some have minimum barrel length for rifle calibers.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye54 View Post
    Really not much of a hassle, just be aware the stinking things are like chips, you can't stop with just one!!

One other thing, before you put a can on a short barrel rifle caliber, check with the manufacturer, some have minimum barrel length for rifle calibers.
    Yes, they are like potato chips! I have five and I am sending in the Form 4s for two more!

Yes, check to see if the suppressor you want will survive a SBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast