Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What can you tell me about the auto ordnance 10mm?

What can you tell me about the auto ordnance 1911 in 10mm? I had a buddy recently buy one from this weekends gun show. Is it a good gun close but not quite a Colt Delta? He was asking what other rounds could his gun shoot.

He asked if 40 cal was a short 10mm then it probably would load the magazine and feed but may not have enough power operated the slide.

I warned that you should only shot 10mm ammo in that gun. And you may even get lots FTF because the 40 cal is shorter then a 10mm.

I also informed him that the gun will shoot nothing like the mild report of 45acp, its closer 41 magnums report.

Did I steer him right that 40 cal shouldn't be shot out of a 10mm.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: What can you tell me about the auto ordnance 10mm?

I'm no expert, but I would imagine that it would be a bad idea, since the shorter .40 S&W round would not be properly head-spaced in the longer 10mm chamber.

If it were my gun, I wouldn't do it.

You can probably get .40 S&W conversion barrels and magazines and do it, though, since the breech face should work with both calibers (might need a lighter recoil spring as well?)

Again though - I am speculating, and am not an expert... Hopefully Lycanthrope or someone else will be along to clarify...

Regards,

Bones

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I also informed him that the gun will shoot nothing like the mild report of 45acp, its closer 41 magnums report.

Did I steer him right that 40 cal shouldn't be shot out of a 10 mm.
    You're right on both counts.

The 10mm was developed for the FBI, to provide magnum-like ballistics in an autoloader, but then the Bureau decided it was too much of a good thing. They used reduced power 10 mm loads for a while, and then the 10 pretty much gave way to the .40 S&W.

(Montgomery County)

Do not ever, ever, EVER put .40 S&W in a 10mm pistol. (note I did not write revolver) Both 10mm and .40 S&W headspace on the case mouth. The 10mm case length is 25mm and the .40 case length is 22mm. The shorter .40 S&W case means that the case may not be properly supported and one can turn their pistol into a plasma cutter by trying to shoot .40 S&W in a 10mm chambered pistol.

You did good telling your buddy not to do it, let us hope he follows your advice. If not, he may get to know the attending physician at his local emergency room.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I'll repeat to him that 40 cal should not be fired in a 10mm handgun.

Now can you tell me how good a gun is a 1911 AO 10mm? Anything like the Colt Delta?

What are the difference in the Auto Ordnance 10mm Vs. Colt Delta? In configuration, metal quality, parts, reliability, sights, break in and overall accuracy. I know that every gun is slightly different bu we are talking common traits that carry over. When you compare these two 1911s.

(Montgomery County)

Auto ord. 10mm's do not have a good quality rep. I would place them near the bottom of the heap as far as 10mm 1911's. Once and a while a good one comes along but I believe that is an exception.

The colt should be a much better pistol. Kimber and Dan Wesson are also both worth a look. Stay away from auto ord if you can. Avoid lasermax, and wyoming also. The javalina's are also not as nice as the others I mentioned.

A 10mm only shoots 10mm. I believe Kahr still owns AO. The AO 1911 does not have the best rep., mostly due to the frames being completely cast. Sometimes, holes for pins that are cast in are not perfectly matched and can cause reliabilty issues, as this 1911 is known for. Just a few thousandths of an inch with the right part can cause problems. There are not enough good reviews on the AO 1911 for me to purchase one, even though it is a very competive price.

I don't know that I would compare the 10mm to a .41 mag., but more like a +P .45 or a 44sp. Where you can really tell the difference in the recoil is shoot a G20 and a G21 one right after the other. The aluminum frame 1911's in 10mm are a little more lively, but it is still somewhat negligible, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I don't know that I would compare the 10mm to a .41 mag., but more like a +P .45 or a 44sp. Where you can really tell the difference in the recoil is shoot a G20 and a G21 one right after the other. The aluminum frame 1911's in 10mm are a little more lively, but it is still somewhat negligible, in my opinion.

456 - Are you sure in a big N frame or Dan Wesson 41 mag is not that bad I think the 10mm has more pentetrating power/faster round then most 44spl. I've shot 44 spl in like guns above and it shot almost standard 38spl like in a K frame 4"-6" gun, except for the bigger holes in the target. Recoil can be a personal thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast