Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Introduction+question about discharging firearm

Before I start, I understand you get this question countless times, I apologize for my "noobness".

My name is Zach, 20 years of age and I have always enjoyed guns. I always had a Gamo pellet rifle since I was a kid. I do shoot that in my backyard. I am not knowledgeable about guns, but I am willing to learn. If I can learn how to pull a motor out of my car and put in a motor that doesn't even belong in my car (from a newer one) I think I could learn about guns. That's a topic I am sure no one on a gun forum wants to hear me go on about. I have always loved the AR-15, my aunt's boyfriend/husband (unsure, we don't get along anymore), owns a AR-15 and a semi-auto AK-47. After shooting the AR, I completely fell in love with it, amazing gun, and for the first time shooting it I had a really good grouping too. They are too expensive so I am looking at purchasing a 12g shotgun from Dick's Sporting Goods on Freemansburg ave in Bethlehem/Easton. I do not hunt, could never look at an animal and kill it for fun, even as food, not happening.

If needed to know, I live near Keystone Pub/Nancy Run Fire Co.

Now onto my question, I do not live in a say "secluded" area, there are houses within 20 feet of the side of my house. I have a long back yard (the house behind me is across my yard, over the creek and up a steep bank - not close really) yet narrow. As dumb as this sounds (and I may even catch hell for it from you guys/girls) if I were to go into my backyard, and fire 1 shell point blank into the ground is there something I will get charged with? I have been up since 2:00AM (now 7:50AM) reading countless threads about this on this forum, googling, everything. I have read some file on a website about the codes discharging a firearm. Sadly, I don't comprehend things like that, sorry. I don't want to fire off 1 shell and have 3000 cops coming to arrest me and take what I just spent 500 dollars on. If there is something against it, I will just gawk at it sitting in my room. (I tend to jump back and forth with things as I type, I apologize, I don't know why I do it, bare with me). I will NOT be aiming at anything but the ground. Will not be shooting up in the air, or anything that the BBs inside the shell (if thats the shell I decide to get) will be able to scatter anywhere BUT ground 2 feet from me.

I understand this sounds incredibly stupid, it happens, I like to know my rights, what I can and can't do.

Another question, I've read about this too, from what my mind was able to comprehend is that I am able to carry said shotgun without a permit/license, is this true?

I am always open to what you have to say, I come from a BMW e30 forum called r3v where everyone is flaming everyone so I can take what you got .

If you live near me, and like to show people ways around guns, I am interested, would love to learn how to properly clean/maintain said shotgun, safety measures, you name it.

Thanks, sorry for the random rambling and jumping from one thing to another.

EDIT: As I was reading about Pa. Patriot (who seems very very smart) getting arrested I saw the ads about the website costing so much so I decided to pay for platinum.
    Last edited by anstead610; March 14th, 2011 at 08:02 AM.

(Bradford County)

Default Re: Introduction+question about discharging firearm

Well discharging a firearm in your back year will probably lead to the PD coming out taking your gun, and lots of legal stuff you do not wish to get into. If you own land or out in the country it is usually ok, but city/township/borough, your most definitely looking at trouble for doing so.

Read the treads, check out the stickies. there is a lot good and bad here (information wise), but lots of great information for you to learn your rights.

Carrying it like a self defense matter, from my understanding it needs to be unloaded and stored when transporting it. I may be wrong,( as i do not carry rifles for SD purposes), but i am not sure how your local community may like you walking into the local store with a loaded shotgun to buy milk.

Do a search online for gun clubs, gun ranges, Etc in your area, you may have to travel some to get there and a fee, or membership, but it is far better then getting locked up for discharging/clearing in your back yard, It is not a BB gun and can be cleared without shooting it to clear it.

maybe someone here is close enough and willing to stop by to show you the run down on things, gun safety, how to handle it, do's and don'ts.
    Last edited by Shadow Heart; March 14th, 2011 at 08:10 AM.

(Butler County)

Sounds populated enough there's probaply a twsp ordinance against it. Try checking you twsp's website. Some list their ordinances.

I can't in my area but I can go one twsp over to a buddies and shoot in his backyard.

Welcome to the site!!! Be safe!!!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    Well discharging a firearm in your back year will probably lead to the PD coming out taking your gun, and lots of legal stuff you do not wish to get into. If you own land or out in the country it is usually ok, but city/township/borough, your most definitely looking at trouble for doing so.

Read the treads, check out the stickies. there is a lot good and bad here (information wise), but lots of great information for you to learn your rights.

Carrying it like a self defense matter, from my understanding it needs to be unloaded and stored when transporting it. I may be wrong,( as i do not carry rifles for SD purposes), but i am not sure how your local community may like you walking into the local store with a loaded shotgun to buy milk.

Do a search online for gun clubs, gun ranges, Etc in your area, you may have to travel some to get there and a fee, or membership, but it is far better then getting locked up for discharging/clearing in your back yard, It is not a BB gun and can be cleared without shooting it to clear it.

maybe someone here is close enough and willing to stop by to show you the run down on things, gun safety, how to handle it, do's and don'ts.
    Yeah I wouldn't walk into my work (yeah i work overnight at a grocery store :[ ) to buy milk with a shotgun slung around my back. I have no idea where to find out about my township's rules about it. As I said I have been searching for hours. Thanks for your input though.

EDIT: I would love to go with someone from this site, I would rather not go myself, being as I don't know everything about guns, all I know is point and shoot. That's not the right thing to do, so therefore I have a lot of learning to do before I go out shooting it at a range/some 300acre (example) abandoned place.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Sounds populated enough there's probaply a twsp ordinance against it. Try checking you twsp's website. Some list their ordinances.

I can't in my area but I can go one twsp over to a buddies and shoot in his backyard.

Welcome to the site!!! Be safe!!!
    Yeah, I mean, I don't like people (not saying I will go on a massacre) so I necessarily don't care what my neighbor's say. The one side of me, is a younger guy, he'd probably come out and ask to shoot it. The one on my far left (I live in a half double, so the house next to the other half of my house) is an older guy who is a real prick, he'd call the cops if I walked outside incorrectly, but I have let him know his place several times. Especially when he tried to school on me on stretching my ears, rofl. Thanks for your input as well, seems like an amazing site, will be on here more than the BMW e30 forum now.

(Venango County)

Just do it, and see if you get arrested!

Seriously, though, welcome to the forum!
    If you are in the city limits, you can bet there is a discharge ordinance,
    If you are in a borough or township maybe not,
    Check with the boro or township office building, which seems to be down the street
    Bethlehem Township Municipal Building
    4225 Easton Avenue
    Bethlehem, PA. 18020

From the map that area looks kinda crowded, but who knows

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Just do it, and see if you get arrested!

Seriously, though, welcome to the forum!
    If you are in the city limits, you can bet there is a discharge ordinance,
    If you are in a borough or township maybe not,
    Check with the boro or township office building, which seems to be down the street
    Bethlehem Township Municipal Building
    4225 Easton Avenue
    Bethlehem, PA. 18020

From the map that area looks kinda crowded, but who knows
    That's about 5 minutes away, yeah it's close. I live in Bethlehem Township, not the city.

I forgot to ask another question. I have never owned a firearm (besides my bb pistol and pellet rifle), what am I looking at going to purchase said shotgun? I am a first time buyer, so I do not know what to expect. Any problems that may arise? I do not have a criminal background, maybe something from riding my bike on private property but I don't see how that would even show up or cause troubles. Do I need a license to carry to be able to take it home/out of the store? I will be taking my mom in-case, she has a license to carry her .32 handgun. If/when I purchase it, am I able to walk out right then with said shotgun? Or do they have to do some paperwork thing that takes days. I remember that happening when my step dad bought a walther p22. Basically is anyone able to tell me how this is supposed to go? As I said, I don't have any license to carry a firearm or any license like that at all, just my driver's license.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by anstead610 View Post
    That's about 5 minutes away, yeah it's close. I live in Bethlehem Township, not the city.

I forgot to ask another question. I have never owned a firearm (besides my bb pistol and pellet rifle), what am I looking at going to purchase said shotgun? I am a first time buyer, so I do not know what to expect. Any problems that may arise? I do not have a criminal background, maybe something from riding my bike on private property but I don't see how that would even show up or cause troubles. Do I need a license to carry to be able to take it home/out of the store? I will be taking my mom in-case, she has a license to carry her .32 handgun. If/when I purchase it, am I able to walk out right then with said shotgun? Or do they have to do some paperwork thing that takes days. I remember that happening when my step dad bought a walther p22. Basically is anyone able to tell me how this is supposed to go? As I said, I don't have any license to carry a firearm or any license like that at all, just my driver's license.
    Sorry for second post, but in addition to what I said, the gun I am looking at is a Mossberg Mariner 18.5". It is 430 dollars brand new from Dicks Sporting Goods. I plan on having it as a "home defense" gun and something to take to the range and shoot some things. What's your take? The guy at Dick's seemed knowledgeable, he said it's not something you take to a range. I'm leaving here around 5PM to go get it, hoping i get some replies before then. Thanks.
    Last edited by anstead610; March 14th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.

(Centre County)

The general rule of thumb is that if it's highly populated, or designated as a "city" or "borough", then it's usually illegal to discharge a firearm except in the immediate course of self-defense. You can often get a copy of the local ordinances from your local gov't office. If it's in electronic format, so much the better; the "search" function will greatly speed your research.

When it comes to the Mossberg, does it have a full stock, or simply a pistol grip w/no shoulder? I can see that "not a range toy" without the shoulder, as it's not nearly as easy to aim without it. Another "rule of thumb", that's often wrong, is that Dick's will give you a worse deal than a lot of actual gun shops. Bethlehem is right between Easton and Allentown: I'd suggest checking out the "Where to (or not to) spend money" forum for reviews of shops in your area.

For the actual purchase, as long as you've never been "302'd" or committed a M1 or higher, then you're in the clear. the LTCF, or "permit", "license", etc, is for carrying concealed handguns. No license is needed to carry a loaded shotgun down the street (probably a bad idea) or to openly carry a handgun (we have forums dedicated to it, and a lot of people here do). You won't need one, but it does allow some useful things like carrying a weapon through a school zone (like driving through). I'd look into it, though it won't be necessary for your shotgun.
    The actual transaction will be
    "I want that one"
    "Okay. Here's some paperwork. Then I'll make a phone call to make sure you didn't lie and aren't prohibited"
    {phone call made, possibly trouble with the system, minor delays, in all about 15 minutes worth of them finegaling the finnicky system to get the right info}
    "Okay, here's your gun. That'll be $$$"
    Some of the better shop owners will recognize the tell-tale symptoms of a new buyer and offer to answer any questions you have, or to suggest ammunition, accessories, nearby ranges, etc. Remember they're there as a business, so in general take suggestions with a grain of salt.

Welcome!
    Last edited by legendarylorot; March 14th, 2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: I hate it when other people use the wrong "there", and failed to notice I did so myself.

So long as you have state issued Photo ID (driver's license, state photo card) your good to go. You will be filling our a couple of pages of information at the sales counter, the clerk will then call into PICS (Pennsyvania Instant Check System) to have the sale approved. The Great Bike Incident won't cause any issues. Once the state police approve the sale you pay your money and leave with your new shotgun. For transporting, in PA you may only transport to and from a range, shop or gunsmith unless you have a LTCF (Licence To Carry Firearms) and even then you can't transport a long gun (shotgun, rifle) in a loaded condition. When transporting it's best to have any firearms either in the truck or if no trunk behind the passenger area and perferably out of reach to anyone in the vehicle. Carry the gun and ammo in separate cases. Though not required for transporting I suggest you purcase a case for it. See if the guy at Dick's will throw one in for free or at a reduced price. As for ammo, get yourself some low brass rounds (target loads) and try them out. This will give you the lightest recoil. As for using at the range....absolutely! It's not the optimum gun for trap but it was never designed for trap, it's a SD and works fine for that. But you HAVE to know your gun and only rangetime can get you that. Take a look at youtube videos featuring your gun and see what you can learn about it. It's a fine choice and you need to learn how to field strip it for cleaning. Put a little oil in it before you fire it.

I realize it's a long way to go but if you want some one on one instructions I'd be happy to meet up with you at my club in Langhorne. Langhorne is about 15 miles below Doylestown. Before the day is over I'll have you dropping clay pidgons on almost every shot. Bring your mother along if she wants to try it out, or practice with her .32.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Are you more worried about self defense or shooting? Self defense a shotgun would be a good choice since you're not 21 yet. Unless you want to start trap or skeet shooting they really aren't that much fun on the range. I guess you could shoot slugs but they aren't cheap. The State range near me does not allow shot shells only slugs. If you're more interested in target shooting pick up a Ruger 10/22. Cheap, reliable and fun to shoot. Good way to get you started on rifles so when you can afford your AR you'll be ready to go. If you really want the shotgun check out a Remington 870 or even a Stoeger too before you buy the Mossberg just to compare. Stoeger are made using Beretta tooling and designs and the Remington 870 is super reliable and pretty cheap. Good luck and don't shoot in your back yard.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast