Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading 9mm

(Schuylkill County)

Default Reloading 9mm

Hello, I am gonna start to reload 9mm and was wondering whats a good load to make? I am new to reloading but my family isnt and gonna start with a 1000 rounds split between my brother and father. Reloader is RCBS Rock chucker. These rounds will only be used for Target shooting so ball ammo will be fine. My question is whats a good
    1. Primer
    2. Lead
    3. Powder

Now Like I said they will be target rounds so we wanna keep the price reasonably low. Was thinking 115 gr ball ammo but open to suggestions. Any suggestions will be great thanks alot.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Reloading 9mm

There are lots of places to get load data. Powder company and bullet manufacturers supply good ones.
    I like 115gr LRN and CCI or Winchester primers. Powder is just a matter of preference. Titegroup is popular for 9mm.
    I suggest getting one of the many manuals on the market.
    COL can vary between bullet types and the chamber of the pistols you will use them in.
    Ckeck out Powder Valley Inc if your going to buy your componets online.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Luzerne County)

I've been reloading for over 20 years and reload a lot of calibers. For my 9mm, I use Rainier 115gr FMJ bullets, HS-6 is my powder of choice and everything I reload for uses CCI primers.

I don't shoot lead, so I cannot give you any information on it.

(Schuylkill County)

thnaks for the comments keep em coming hs-6 is the powder I was looking at my father has a speers book from 87 and liked what the hs-6 looked like on paper

(Cumberland County)

W231, Accurate #5, Accurate #7, Unique

Just about any mid speed pistol powder gets it done in 9mm. I prefer HS-6 myself.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Chester County)

147gr lead, CCI/Winchester, Bullseye 3gr
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Monroe County)

124 grn. plated frontier 4 grn tight group and what ever primers you can get

When I start researching load data for a new caliber, I try to find information on the firearm used to collect the data for a given recipe that is comparable with the firearm I am loading for. Try to find data based on test guns of comparable barrel length and twist rates as a starting point. When you find a combination of components that fit the budget and/or performance of your goals, pay particular attention to the OAL (cartridge over-all length) that is given with a known powder charge range. Starting and max charges change with different seating depths. Bullets set deeper than test specs may generate dangerously high pressures and bullets set too long may cause feeding problems. Just a few things to think about when getting aquiring internet info.

That being said, I load and shoot fairly often with my Springfield XDm9. I'm cheap so I load either Montana Gold 124JHP or Berry's 115g plated round nose and test each load on paper, rested at 25'. I load the 115's at 1.120" with 4.4g of RedDot and the 124's get set at 1.075" with 5.0g of Power Pistol. Both recipes use Winchester brass with CCI 500 primers and each produce quarter size 10 round groups.

If you're splitting your ammo with your brother and dad, hopefully they will help load them up. 1000 rounds is going to be time consuming on a Rock chucker press. I haven't went progressive YET but I keep my 9mm dies set up on a Lyman turret press so I can run smaller batches without changing dies around and I can switch operations on larger runs to seat bullets when I get tired of punching out primers. I also prefer to use a hand-held priming tool but that's just my preference.

MUDLUST

(Allegheny County)

you might wanna try here for a good deal on 9mm bullets and vrass. http://shop.topgunss.com/Brass-Bullet-Combos_c4.htm

Andy
    Andrew Jackson USN (1992-2010)

(Bucks County)

9mm is a great round to start reloading for. In 9mm I use Zero 124g FMJ-RN bullets, Vhitavuori N320 powder, CCI small pistol primers, and range pickup brass.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast