Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Rant towards so called 1911 purists

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    p.s. Take the 1911 and do what you wish with it, but the Glock is still the ultimate combat/defensive pistol.
    ....Until you get into a scuffle with a non-gun knowledgeable bad guy, and he happens to get to your Glock before you do....points it at you and pulls the trigger.

As opposed to the same non-gun knowledgeable gad guy, and he gappens to get to your cocked-'n-locked 1911 before you do....points it at you and pulls the trigger....and nothing happens.

Ultimate is also an opinion.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post

My Kimber isn't like that.
    Feel the same way, but i could have bought 2 glocks for the price of my 1 Kimber

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I like purists. They are passionate about a particular item. That is cool with me. I like that 1911s are being dehorned, having triggers tuned etc... It has been happening for quite a while now. It certainly isn't a new phenomenon.
    Jules

p.s. Take the 1911 and do what you wish with it, but the Glock is still the ultimate combat/defensive pistol.
    Tupperware belongs in the fridge, not on the range!

(Delaware County)

Yep... I love the 1911 and the 1911A1. It's a great platform. It's not for everyone,,, but it's STILL a great gun. It expects you to know it's insides and how it works. Yep,,, you should know how the springs work and how often to change them. Yep,,,, you should know how the trigger functions. They are not for the newbie. They expect that you have a knowledge of how they function.

If your lucky enough to understand them, and be somewhat mechanically inclined,,, you'll have good luck with them. If not,,,,,, get something else. As I said it's not for everyone.

Reading the Kuhnhousen books may help...or you may wind up frustrated. The 1911 is not for everyone.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by G19 View Post
    Yeah, reliability in a handgun is so overrated.
    Reliability should always be the number one trait one should look for in a self defense pistol. However, with that said I personally don't care for the ergonomics in the Glocks. Thats not to say they are inferior in anyway to their competitors. I just don't find my hands to be agreeable with the grip angle. I'm sure if I practiced enough it wouldn't be a big deal but why should I have to when there are other reliable pistols on the market that I am more comfortable shooting?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD-Drew View Post
    Reliability should always be the number one trait one should look for in a self defense pistol. However, with that said I personally don't care for the ergonomics in the Glocks. Thats not to say they are inferior in anyway to their competitors. I just don't find my hands to be agreeable with the grip angle. I'm sure if I practiced enough it wouldn't be a big deal but why should I have to when there are other reliable pistols on the market that I am more comfortable shooting?
    Don’t get me wrong, nothing bad with picking a gun that feels right and everyone has different likes. I wasn’t implying it should be a Glock only world. If I had the money and space, I’d have one of every handgun out there. I was just throwing in my opinion that glocks don’t “suck” as was stated by the OP.

I'm of the opinion that some 1911's should just be left alone in their "pure" state, ie older colts. But models like Kimbers and Springers are meant to be built on and tricked out to the shooter's content.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    So not to hi-jack someone else's thread. I am so sick and tired of the so called "1911 purests" Get over yourselves. Everything evolves and the great thing about the 1911 platform is that it can change . . .

A 1911 is a tuners dream, it can be modified to suit whatever needs you have.

We are each of us products of our environments and our perceptions form our individual realities. My environment was the USMC and USMCR in the 70s to the mid-80s. So my preference in 1911s runs to plain vanilla, and you won't find cheesegraters on my guns; they are in my kitchen.

For example, I have two 3" barreled microcompacts, one Officers model, two Commanders, and maybe seven or eight 5" 1911s from Govt Models to Gold Cups. I have 1911s in 45 ACP and 9mm, and for 40+ years I've been resisting investment in a 38 Super. I may be traditional, but I'm hardly a "purist" as defined by the OP.

But those are MY preferences, and the quoted bold quotation above is the operative statement for this thread. Preferences in 1911s aren't a Ford vs. Chevy argument. What I or the OP prefers in a 1911 doesn't matter one bit to anyone else's preference in a 1911, because the 1911 can truly be all things to everyone, given the right configuration.

Just my perception.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    What I or the OP prefers in a 1911 doesn't matter one bit to anyone else's preference in a 1911, because the 1911 can truly be all things to everyone, given the right configuration.

Just my perception.

Noah
    ... sorta like what one does with an AR!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Butler County)

If 1911's were so good why did JMB design the 1935? Commonly known as the Browning Hi-Power?

I just like to stir up shit. 1911,Hi-Power,Glock. They're all good weapons. Even if one is plastic

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast