Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Where to get an appraisal for antique rifle - Winchester Thumb Fire Model

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone has experience getting an antique gun appraised. I'm not sure if I should just take this gun to a shop or two, or if there is someone better suited for such things. This is a Winchester Thumb Fire Model 22 rifle, mfg is 1905ish from what I've read.

I looked around on some of the bigger gun auction sites, and I've seen a couple of these that have sold for $799 and up, but I really don't have a good grasp on rating the condition of guns.

Here's a picture of the gun. I have some more high res pics available. any advice appreciated.

(York County)

Post Re: Where to get an appraisal for antique rifle - Winchester Thumb Fire Model

I think that rifle is a model 99 they were made from 1904~1923, around 75k were produced. One in that condition would be worth between 800~1200 depending on the bore and FCG condition. They are nice little rifles

But like so many times in the past I could be all wrong....

Every day's a Saturday

(York County)

Default Re: Where to get an appraisal for antique rifle - Winchester Thumb Fire Model

When appraising a old gun I start with a copy of a collector's guide like Flayderman's guide to antique American Firearms and their values by Norm Flayderman or the Standard Catalogue of Firearms edited by Dan Shideler.

You can get either from any number of gun parts suppliers (Brownells, Graf and Sons, etc...) or book stores like Borders.

As for on-line price researching: The internet is good for a quick peek at what people are asking, but the difference between what people ask and the price you'll get if serious about selling are often not the same. I for one will not move much beyond book values and if a dealer gets upset when I pull my most current reference book out to do a consult, I will just sadly shake my head and walk away.

BTW: In my 2009 edition of Standard Cat. page 1372 has the model 99 thumb trigger rifle. Made between 1904-1923 with total production of about 76,000. Values: Exc. $2200, VG. $1000, Gd. $600, Fair. $300, Poor $200. Buy the guide to be able to rate condition properly. Seems like with this model, condition is the key. A person really can't rate condition properly from just a few pictures.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; March 14th, 2011 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Updated information