Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default information about competition?

I am new to firearms but I love good competition. Guns are not in my family but after reading about 2 years worth of americas 1st freedom and american rifleman as well as being an economics/political science major my interest was peaked and I had to buy myself a couple of handguns to learn on.

I was hoping that some of you could provide me with links I can watch about pistol shooting and how to improve my technique.

I also wanted to hear about what kinds of competitive events there are to compete in. Honestly anything that you think would benefit me and lead me on the right path towards becoming a more responsible and better pistol shooter would be awesome...in fact I will devour it!!!

Thanks in advance friends.

Matt

(Monroe County)

Default Re: information about competition?

If you are new to the gun culture, I would implore you to invest in some real-life training. Start with a basic safety course then go from there.

A small investment in time and money could make the difference between a lifetime of safe and enjoyable shooting activities or a moment you could regret the rest of your life.

Be safe.

(Monroe County)

http://thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

There are no exceptions. Do not pretend that this is true. Some people and organizations take this rule and weaken it;e.g. "Treat all guns as if they were loaded." Unfortunately, the "as if" compromises the directness of the statement by implying that they are unloaded, but we will treat them as though they are loaded. No good! Safety rules must be worded forcefully so that they are never treated lightly or reduced to partial compliance.

All guns are always loaded - period!

This must be your mind-set. If someone hands you a firearm and says, "Don't worry, it's not loaded," you do not dare believe him. You need not be impolite, but check it yourself. Remember, there are no accidents, only negligent acts. Check it. Do not let yourself fall prey to a situation where you might feel compelled to squeal, "I didn't know it was loaded!"

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

Conspicuously and continuously violated, especially with pistols, Rule II applies whether you are involved in range practice, daily carry, or examination. If the weapon is assembled and in someone's hands, it is capable of being discharged. A firearm holstered properly, lying on a table, or placed in a scabbard is of no danger to anyone. Only when handled is there a need for concern. This rule applies to fighting as well as to daily handling. If you are not willing to take a human life, do not cover a person with the muzzle. This rule also applies to your own person. Do not allow the muzzle to cover your extremities, e.g. using both hands to reholster the pistol. This practice is unsound, both procedurally and tactically. You may need a free hand for something important. Proper holster design should provide for one-handed holstering, so avoid holsters which collapse after withdrawing the pistol. (Note: It is dangerous to push the muzzle against the inside edge of the holster nearest the body to "open" it since this results in your pointing the pistol at your midsection.) Dry-practice in the home is a worthwhile habit and it will result in more deeply programmed reflexes. Most of the reflexes involved in the Modern Technique do not require that a shot be fired. Particular procedures for dry-firing in the home will be covered later. Let it suffice for now that you do not dry-fire using a "target" that you wish not to see destroyed. (Recall RULE I as well.)

Rule III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule III is violated most anytime the uneducated person handles a firearm. Whether on TV, in the theaters, or at the range, people seem fascinated with having their finger on the trigger. Never stand or walk around with your finger on the trigger. It is unprofessional, dangerous, and, perhaps most damaging to the psyche, it is klutzy looking. Never fire a shot unless the sights are superimposed on the target and you have made a conscious decision to fire. Firing an unaligned pistol in a fight gains nothing. If you believe that the defensive pistol is only an intimidation tool - not something to be used - carry blanks, or better yet, reevaluate having one around. If you are going to launch a projectile, it had best be directed purposely. Danger abounds if you allow your finger to dawdle inside the trigger guard. As soon as the sights leave the target, the trigger-finger leaves the trigger and straightens alongside the frame. Since the hand normally prefers to work as a unit - as in grasping - separating the function of the trigger-finger from the rest of the hand takes effort. The five-finger grasp is a deeply programmed reflex. Under sufficient stress, and with the finger already placed on the trigger, an unexpected movement, misstep or surprise could result in a negligent discharge. Speed cannot be gained from such a premature placement of the trigger-finger. Bringing the sights to bear on the target, whether from the holster or the Guard Position, takes more time than that required for moving the trigger finger an inch or so to the trigger.

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything you have not positively identified. Be aware of your surroundings, whether on the range or in a fight. Do not assume anything. Know what you are doing.

SUMMARY:

Make these rules a part of your character. Never compromise them. Improper gunhandling results from ignorance and improper role modeling, such as handling your gun like your favorite actor does. Education can cure this. You can make a difference by following these gunhandling rules and insisting that those around you do the same. Set the example. Who knows what tragedies you, or someone you influence, may prevent?

Excerpted from: The Modern Technique of the Pistol, by Greg Morrison, Gunsite Press, Paulden, Arizona, ISBN 0-9621342-3-6, Library of Congress Number 91-72644, $40

(Lawrence County)

You have at least 4 clubs within 40 min of you that shoot either USPSA or IDPA.

You even have some 3 gun at Grove City/Pardoe.

Come shoot with us at Castlewood in New Castle some Thursday night and we'll get you started.

Lycanfirsttimeisfreethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

Here is a good start. East Huntington is having a new shooters orientation on Saturday, March 26th. http://forum.pafoa.org/training-tact...ientation.html

The club is about 10 miles south of the turnpike exit at New Stanton.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Butler County)

AWESOME. Thanks for the info everyone! I will see if i can make it out this thursday. I have already talked to Dragon about it

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    You have at least 4 clubs within 40 min of you that shoot either USPSA or IDPA.

You even have some 3 gun at Grove City/Pardoe.

Come shoot with us at Castlewood in New Castle some Thursday night and we'll get you started.

Lycanfirsttimeisfreethrope
    I went on the website for USPSA and am confused. I went to the about section but it does not say ANYTHING about how a competition is conducted, it basically tells you to go watch one to see what it is all about after joining the USPSA.

Also, is it accurate to say that .22 Pistols are not allowed to compete in ANY type of competition? If so, why? I ask only because my handgun is a Walther P.22 and my Hi-Point .45 is not on the list of approved guns.

If these are not usable weapons what would be under $650 and a good starter.

For IDPA, which I am less interested in, is it required to have a concealed carry permit to compete? If so, I doubt I can obtain one.

Lastly, and thank you all for your patience, are there any competitions where individuals or teams of people go out and shoot targets from 15m 25m 50m 100m...etc and get scored on that? I know I have a lot of questions and the more you answer the more I will come up with, but my inquiring mind wants to know!

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/conventional.asp

does anyone know anything about this?
    Last edited by WastedTime; March 15th, 2011 at 04:02 PM.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by WastedTime View Post
    Lastly, and thank you all for your patience, are there any competitions where individuals or teams of people go out and shoot targets from 15m 25m 50m 100m...etc and get scored on that? I know I have a lot of questions and the more you answer the more I will come up with, but my inquiring mind wants to know!

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/conventional.asp

does anyone know anything about this?
    Silhouette shoots 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards with .22 pistols and 50, 100, 150, and 200 meters with center fire pistols. There are two strings of 5 targets, 10 total, at each distance. Chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams respectively. You get one point for each target knocked down and a perfect round is 40.

http://www.ihmsa.org/index1.html

(York County)

There are a multitude of handgun, rifle and shotgun sports out there. You need to figure out what type you want to start with....

USPSA/IPSC are the "run and gun" handgun sports better known as "practical shooting". Figure using about 200-300 rounds on a good weekend match, more if you shoot morning and afternoon runs. USPSA has different courses of fire (stages) that YOU figure out the best and fastest way to shoot it.

IDPA is the sister sport to USPSA. It uses everyday equipment suited for concealed carry (no "race or space guns" that run 2500+ bucks), no competition ghost holsters, etc. IDPA requires you have a holster that completely covers the trigger guard when holstered, the holster is carried strong side only (no SOB, cross-draw or shoulder holsters), a cover garment, and at least 3 magazines and a double mag pouch. I personally take at least 8 to a match (I hate reloading mags...). You can use any production gun that 9mm or higher in caliber, is suitable for everyday carry and fits the criteria in the rulebook for weight and size. It's pretty simple to buy a pistol off the shelf and go right to shooting IDPA with it.

You do NOT need a carry permit for IDPA. You do need the equipment as outlined above, but no concealed carry permit.

IDPA also uses a max of 18 rounds per stage (versus 30+ for USPSA), requires you use cover to make your shots, and retain magazines unless you're reloading from slide lock.

The other NRA shooting sport is NRA Action Pistol. I haven't started shooting that yet, but go to YouTube and search on either Dave Seigeny or Julie Goloski and you'll get a real idea what those courses of fire run. You'll also be humbled when you shoot your score and compare it to theirs....

You can hit YouTube and preview most any of the shooting sports by searching using "USPSA" or "IDPA" - and look at the national or state match postings. Or, you can head out and see Lycan at his club and those guys can get you started right away.

And as one poster said already, if you're completely new to firearms go get a safety course and heed what you're taught. If there is one thing all organized shooting sports do not take for granted, that thing is SAFETY. Stupid gun handling will get you a fast ticket off the range, and if repeated down the road will get you banned (as well it should). Learn the commands the Safety Officer or Range Officer (SO or RO) will use and if you ever hear "STOP", freeze like a danged rabbit until told what to do by the SO/RO.

Sites to get your info: Download the rulebooks, grab a Coke or cup of java, and read 'em!

www.uspsa.org

www.idpa.com

and your NRA link above.

As for guns that will work in USPSA or IDPA, most anything in production now that is 9mm or better will suffice. For USPSA, you must determine if you're shooting Minor or Major - in IDPA, just the type of division you want to shoot in (.45 only, single action start, double action/single action, or revolver - enhanced or stock divisions) to select the gun you want. Most competitors that shoot Glocks in both sports use the G34 or G35 - 9mm/40S&W - since it can do both sports and others as well. If you're into Sig Sauer pistols (and they ROCK), the P226 / P229 is common for IDPA, and if you're serious about USPSA the P226 X5 is for you. Smith and Wesson's M&P series is strong in IDPA, as well as 1911 series pistols for the CDP (custom defensive pistol) division for .45 caliber only. I've seen Rugers, Berettas, Tangfolios, Browning Hi-Powers, etc. at both types of matches.

You should be able to find a good weapon for under the $650 you noted above.

Good luck, welcome to the most fun you'll have outdoors, and be safe.
    Last edited by NoHackrLtd; March 15th, 2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Remembered some other things....
    SIG Sauer, S&W M&P and Mossberg 930 Armorer

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by NoHackrLtd View Post
    There are a multitude of handgun, rifle and shotgun sports out there. You need to figure out what type you want to start with....

USPSA/IPSC are the "run and gun" handgun sports better known as "practical shooting". Figure using about 200-300 rounds on a good weekend match, more if you shoot morning and afternoon runs. USPSA has different courses of fire (stages) that YOU figure out the best and fastest way to shoot it.

IDPA is the sister sport to USPSA. It uses everyday equipment suited for concealed carry (no "race or space guns" that run 2500+ bucks), no competition ghost holsters, etc. IDPA requires you have a holster that completely covers the trigger guard when holstered, the holster is carried strong side only (no SOB, cross-draw or shoulder holsters), a cover garment, and at least 3 magazines and a double mag pouch. I personally take at least 8 to a match (I hate reloading mags...). You can use any production gun that 9mm or higher in caliber, is suitable for everyday carry and fits the criteria in the rulebook for weight and size. It's pretty simple to buy a pistol off the shelf and go right to shooting IDPA with it.

You do NOT need a carry permit for IDPA. You do need the equipment as outlined above, but no concealed carry permit.

IDPA also uses a max of 18 rounds per stage (versus 30+ for USPSA), requires you use cover to make your shots, and retain magazines unless you're reloading from slide lock.

The other NRA shooting sport is NRA Action Pistol. I haven't started shooting that yet, but go to YouTube and search on either Dave Seigeny or Julie Goloski and you'll get a real idea what those courses of fire run. You'll also be humbled when you shoot your score and compare it to theirs....

You can hit YouTube and preview most any of the shooting sports by searching using "USPSA" or "IDPA" - and look at the national or state match postings. Or, you can head out and see Lycan at his club and those guys can get you started right away.

And as one poster said already, if you're completely new to firearms go get a safety course and heed what you're taught. If there is one thing all organized shooting sports do not take for granted, that thing is SAFETY. Stupid gun handling will get you a fast ticket off the range, and if repeated down the road will get you banned (as well it should). Learn the commands the Safety Officer or Range Officer (SO or RO) will use and if you ever hear "STOP", freeze like a danged rabbit until told what to do by the SO/RO.

Sites to get your info: Download the rulebooks, grab a Coke or cup of java, and read 'em!

www.uspsa.org

www.idpa.com

and your NRA link above.

As for guns that will work in USPSA or IDPA, most anything in production now that is 9mm or better will suffice. For USPSA, you must determine if you're shooting Minor or Major - in IDPA, just the type of division you want to shoot in (.45 only, single action start, double action/single action, or revolver - enhanced or stock divisions) to select the gun you want. Most competitors that shoot Glocks in both sports use the G34 or G35 - 9mm/40S&W - since it can do both sports and others as well. If you're into Sig Sauer pistols (and they ROCK), the P226 / P229 is common for IDPA, and if you're serious about USPSA the P226 X5 is for you. Smith and Wesson's M&P series is strong in IDPA, as well as 1911 series pistols for the CDP (custom defensive pistol) division for .45 caliber only. I've seen Rugers, Berettas, Tangfolios, Browning Hi-Powers, etc. at both types of matches.

You should be able to find a good weapon for under the $650 you noted above.

Good luck, welcome to the most fun you'll have outdoors, and be safe.
    What a great post, thank you very much. I will see when there is a safty course available for me to take and I am going to try and make it out to newcastle this thursday night to watch the goings on.

Julie Goloski is freaking incredible btw. This is one sport where the women can sure take on the men, and take them down. Thats what Julie and Sherri Gallagher have shown me. If I show this to my fiance she is sure to bite, she loves girl power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast