Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Anyone have any experience with the Taurus 1911's?

In particular the Model 1911 B-1 and the Model 1911ALR but experience and input on any of their models would be appreciated. I'm in the market for a 1911 and the Taurus model seem to be reasonably priced with a lifetime warranty. Any thought or input would be greatly appreciated!
    I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. *Springfield Armory Bi-Tone XDm-40 3.8*

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Anyone have any experience with the Taurus 1911's?

It is a very good Pistol, i have the Plain all steel blued one , never skipped a beat since day one. I got mine fully loaded including night sights for $600.

The only thing i didnt like about is the cheap plastic grips which i replaced with some nice Hogue Kingwood grips seen here in this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Monroe County)

This is a bad example cause of the reload that was double charged.

I have had 2 of them, the blued model and the SS and I prefer the SS. All of my gun are blued or black but for some reason I just like this one in SS; also I have heard that the bluing on the Taurus wears off easily but I have no experience with that. Go for it you will really like them they are great guns.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    This is a bad example cause of the reload that was double charged.

I have had 2 of them, the blued model and the SS and I prefer the SS. All of my gun are blued or black but for some reason I just like this one in SS; also I have heard that the bluing on the Taurus wears off easily but I have no experience with that. Go for it you will really like them they are great guns.
    If you hit the "other" 1911 forums you won't find much love for them. Personally I never had their 1911 but did have 2 Millenniums and a revolver and had no issues.
    My 1911's are Springfields.

(Lawrence County)

I've shot 5-6 of them. They all shot well. I don't like the hammer style, but I will say that the triggers were easy to adjust and the parts seems to be cut well.

Lycanidcarryonethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

I have two, a black and a SS. Both have gone bang everytime and have hit what I could. You need to change the grips to something better, as said. I like them because the sights are better. My eyes don't like the standard 1911 sights and I need something better. They are not the "best" 1911 on the market, but mine have never given me trouble. As soon as it warms up today one of them will be at the range with me.

(Montgomery County)

I had a stainless PT1911 for a while. It seemed well made and shot very well.

However I had a great deal of trouble with getting parts replaced (cosmetic issue, really). The Taurus folks in Miami were pretty much at the mercy of the mothership in Brazil. Parts not available, and they had no clue when they would be. I had to resort to detective work tracking down the email addresses of a couple of Taurus execs in order to get the issue resolved, as the Customer Service folks on the phone (when you could finally get through) basically threw up their hands and said there was nothing they could do but wait to see if the parts ever showed up in their system. I wouldn't have minded that so much if they hadn't had me send in the parts, leaving my pistol out of service indefinitely.

That was a while back when the PT1911's were fairly new, so maybe the situation is better now.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by toml View Post
    I had a stainless PT1911 for a while. It seemed well made and shot very well.

However I had a great deal of trouble with getting parts replaced (cosmetic issue, really). The Taurus folks in Miami were pretty much at the mercy of the mothership in Brazil. Parts not available, and they had no clue when they would be. I had to resort to detective work tracking down the email addresses of a couple of Taurus execs in order to get the issue resolved, as the Customer Service folks on the phone (when you could finally get through) basically threw up their hands and said there was nothing they could do but wait to see if the parts ever showed up in their system. I wouldn't have minded that so much if they hadn't had me send in the parts, leaving my pistol out of service indefinitely.

That was a while back when the PT1911's were fairly new, so maybe the situation is better now.

And what parts were those? Pretty much everything should take standard 1911 parts save for perhaps sights..........

LycannoneedforTauruspartsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I've shot 5-6 of them. They all shot well. I don't like the hammer style, but I will say that the triggers were easy to adjust and the parts seems to be cut well.

Lycanidcarryonethrope
    Myself this is part of the reason i have held off so far , and it is not so much the style (which i think is ugly as sin), but the design with the lock in it, a lot of my reading, (and it may only be cases in the original or older lines), of the hammer lock engaging during firing locking the pistol up from use. I have heard Wilson Combat has the parts to change it, but i have not sen anything specific though.

I am still considering it, but unless i can get rid of that lock, it would not be for daily carry, which i think it would be most applicable for its price and function, versus carrying a $1300+ where damage, loss, detainment of the gun would piss me off, and be harder to replace for someone with a limited income.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast