Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Hi-Point .45 / Walther P22 Ammo?

I have been using some boxed Remmington .22 LR HP's in my Walther P22 and have had no problems with it. But the American Eagles (Which are a subsidiary of Federal would not feed and would be caught in the breach after every round so I traded those for a box of CCI Mini-Mag HP's and FMJ's each. I also picked up a box of Blazzer FMJ's but have no had a chance to try them or the CCI's.

I also just ordered my HI-Point .45 ACP and because of the cost of the ammunition i wanted to get some suggestions as to what I should use in this weapon for targets and home defense.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

“If we do not lay out ourselves in the service of mankind, whom should we serve?” - John Adams

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: Hi-Point .45 / Walther P22 Ammo?

This is what i haved used:
    Remmington 230gr FMJ and JHP.
    UMC 230gr FMJ (made by remmington)
    Winchester Target+range 230gr
    Blazer Ammo 230gr (non-reloadable case)great for outdoor range
    Federal 230gr FMJ.
    Most of the time you can find these on sale.Also i reload some thing you might want too look into.
    For my carry ammo i use Federal Hydra Shok 230gr JHP.

(York County)

Default Re: Hi-Point .45 / Walther P22 Ammo?

I used magtec 230gr once which was probably the dirtiest ammo I've used and after 50 rounds it would fail to go all the way into battery.

I like S&B 230gr. for range time. I've not had any issues with it. However the primer sealer is red and will get on the face of the slide but is not permanent (can be cleaned). I get it from Natchezss.com. That is the cheapest I've been able to find it and most of the ammo I buy.

I had a p-22 and it worked when it was clean but when it gets dirty it can be a pita. Mine liked winchester, remington was hit or miss, CCI's were good as well. It also liked the high velocity ammo but it was LOUD and occasionally spit hot powder at me when ejecting. The shells would also eject over my head and occasionally would land in my hair. This was annoying to me so I traded it. It's a nice looking gun. I hope you like yours better than I did mine.

Sid

(Schuylkill County)

CCI Mini Mags run best in my P22 CCI Stingers also run well. Federal Bulk packs are decent but NEVER REMINGTON

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    CCI Mini Mags run best in my P22 CCI Stingers also run well. Federal Bulk packs are decent but NEVER REMINGTON
    Is this because of the oils that the use in the ammunition?

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by WastedTime View Post
    Is this because of the oils that the use in the ammunition?
    I'm not sure. I have had nothing but bad luck with Remington 22 ammo. Some people like it. But from my experience do not use it in anything semi auto. To me it seems the lead is always loose and gets pinched at weird angles.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    I'm not sure. I have had nothing but bad luck with Remington 22 ammo. Some people like it. But from my experience do not use it in anything semi auto. To me it seems the lead is always loose and gets pinched at weird angles.
    Ok,well i have put 300 or so rounds through with it, i will let you know what happens with the last 200 out of the brick and then i will try some of the other ones suggested for sure.

Do you know anything about Fiocchi .45 ACP JHP rounds?

(Schuylkill County)

Ok,well i have put 300 or so rounds through with it, i will let you know what happens with the last 200 out of the brick and then i will try some of the other ones suggested for sure.

Do you know anything about Fiocchi .45 ACP JHP rounds?
    Nope I have no clue. I have shot Fiocchi 9mm with no problems.

(Butler County)

Well, i got out to the range and used the last 200 rounds of my Remington...and they started to jam and cause my other ammo to jam as well. As soon as i threw the remainder of the box in the trash and oiled the barrel my CCI, Blazzer, and Federal ammo went through without a hitch. Good call on the remingtons, never buying those suckers again.

On another note I shot 200 rounds through my Hi-Point .45 and my buddy shout about the same through his Hi-Point C9 and neither of us had a single problem.

Our other friend was shooting his Smith & Wesson M&P .45 ACP and had between 8 and 12 problems jams/feeding, and this was after about 100-120 rounds. I have also noticed this about some glocks as well with their jamming/feeding problems...

Score another one for Hi-Point...

(Schuylkill County)

Well, i got out to the range and used the last 200 rounds of my Remington...and they started to jam and cause my other ammo to jam as well. As soon as i threw the remainder of the box in the trash and oiled the barrel my CCI, Blazzer, and Federal ammo went through without a hitch. Good call on the remingtons, never buying those suckers again.

On another note I shot 200 rounds through my Hi-Point .45 and my buddy shout about the same through his Hi-Point C9 and neither of us had a single problem.

Our other friend was shooting his Smith & Wesson M&P .45 ACP and had between 8 and 12 problems jams/feeding, and this was after about 100-120 rounds. I have also noticed this about some glocks as well with their jamming/feeding problems...

Score another one for Hi-Point...
    Glad to hear CCI and Federal treated you good. As for the High Point I went to a gun auction with a freind. I didnt need anything just there to look around well my freind was bidding on things left and right. It looked like fun so I bid on one item a High point 380 with extra mag and speedloader in hardcase. Needless to say the one bid I made won the gun! I will say its ugly and heavy but it shoots great never had a ftf or fte. And to boot its pretty accurate. I know 2 people who own the 9mm and they never had trouble either so go figure!