Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default question about transferring a handgun

My friend was aking me i was hoping you guys can help me.

His brother in law wants to give him a handgun for Xmass.
    I understand that giving firearm between family member is one of condition you can do without FFL.
    Probrem is that he is from Varginia or somewhere out there. So he would have to mail the gun. But since its illigal to mail functional firearm from non FFL to non FFL, he would have to send it to FFL.
    But my friend have gotten in little trouble back when he was 16, and charged with position of storen property, and disorderly conduct or something like that.

So eventho firearm can be given between family member, in this case, since it have to go through FFL for above stated reason, unless he gets judges to exponge his record, FFL would likely get no go from PIC. Right? there for he can't have this gun?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: question

actually, the exception is only for transfers between parents and children, grandparents and grandchildren and spouses. I guess he could give it to his wife, who could give it to their father who could give it to him, but he should save himself the hassle and just transfer it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    So eventho firearm can be given between family member, in this case, since it have to go through FFL for above stated reason, unless he gets judges to exponge his record, FFL would likely get no go from PIC. Right? there for he can't have this gun?
    i don't think the standard for not needing to go through FFL is "between family members"...i think it is specifically "from parent to child" (and possibly vice-versa).

in any case, yes, the transaction you describe does need to go through an FFL.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    His brother in law wants to give him a handgun for Xmass.
    I understand that giving firearm between family member is one of condition you can do without FFL.
    Probrem is that he is from Varginia or somewhere out there. So he would have to mail the gun. But since its illigal to mail functional firearm from non FFL to non FFL, he would have to send it to FFL.
    But my friend have gotten in little trouble back when he was 16, and charged with position of storen property, and disorderly conduct or something like that.

Likely, since the trouble happened before he was 18, it will not disqualify him.

Since the transfer has to go through an FFL anyway (Multiple reasons, the biggest being different states of residency) have the recipient go to the FFL that they will be using and have the BG check done first. If he qualifies, then mail the gun and do the transfer.

Simple as that.
    Last edited by lildobe; December 12th, 2007 at 08:58 PM.

(Centre County)

I'll suggest that. thanks guys
    Audemus jura nostra defendere