Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Gun Cleaning and Maintenance

Hey I just picked up my first gun the other day. I would really like to hear your guys views on cleaning and maintenance. What type of products you like, name brads, all in one cleaner and lube vs a separate cleaner and lube. Even down to want rods you guys like. I know this may be a super basic question but from googling i see so many different ways to do it I just want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks guys

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Gun Cleaning and Maintenance

Hoppes #9
    Boresnake or cleaning kit
    Weaponshield
    Last edited by normanvin; March 11th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Hoppes #9
    Waponshield

^^^^this^^^

except I use Weaponshield (OK i'm a dick)

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    ^^^^this^^^

except I use Weaponshield (OK i'm a dick)
    Yeah yeah. My e is sticking. Time for a new laptop.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Hoppes #9
    Weaponshield
    That there is pretty much what you need. I tend to use ballistol rather than hoppes. But hoppes is tried and true. Weapon shield is the shit! I also like foam bore cleaner, its just harder to come by in my area. Make sure you have a good brush and those supplies and you will be good to go.

(Philadelphia County)

Depends on what you picked up, you may not want to clean it until its properly broken in at 500 or so rounds.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

After cleaning firearms for over 50 years the very best product I have found is Clenzoil. Does an excellent job with cleaning and protection.
    Use this with a lambs wool pad on blue steel and wood and it is truely amazing. You owe it to yourself to try this product.
    1-800-OIL-IT-UP www.CLENZOIL.com

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks so far. I was under the impression that hoppes 9 is just a cleaner so its safer to get crazy with then lets say Ballistol which has lube in it that if used to much or on the wrong places can be bad, am I right with that?

(Butler County)

As you can see there will be as many answers as you got when you goggled. All above and more to come are quality products.

As far as cleaning I was brought up with the attidude you shoot it you clean it. That's worked well for me for the last 50 years.

My everyday carry piece I do an external wipe down once a week. I know how dirty I'd get if I didn't wash for a week.

(Monroe County)

A lot depends on what it is you are cleaning, revolver, semi-auto pistol, bolt action rifle, semi-auto rifle/carbine, semi-auto shotgun, break-open shotgun, black powder piece, etc. And what have you been shooting through it, lead slugs, FMJ. Also how much have you shot? 1500 rounds, 20 rounds, 2 rounds?

If it is a revolver, I like to swab the bore and the cylinder really well with a bore cleaner (as a general rule I use Hoppes #9). Let it sit and soak. For really dirty guns you can use a copper cleaner or other ammonia based cleaner but do not let that stay on the gun for more than 20 minutes because it is corrosive. Then, be sure to scrub (nylon brush) clean around the face of the cylinder and the base of the bore, the ejection rod too and wipe down the hammer mechanism. If you have shot a lot of rounds then let is sit for a few hours even overnight (again not with ammonia based cleaners though). I prefer to clean my guns when they are still warm....seems to make easy work. If shooting FMJ it is an easy job. Shooting lead can cause greater fouling and the bore may need extra scrubbing, especially if you are pushing the lead fast. A proper sized bore brush is best. Keep in mind that a bronze brush will begin to dissolve in ammonia based cleaners.

After cleaning, it is best to wipe everything dry and then a light coat of oil over everything. All kinds of products out there you can experiment with and see what you like best.

Semi-autos, take the time to field strip them and scrub all parts well.

Shotguns really don't need much attention to the bore except for a fine film of oil. The block or action should be cleaned though.

Bolt guns, I like to use a bore guide and a proper one piece rod suitable for that caliber. To me, bolt guns are precision tools and you want to really take care to avoid dinging up the bore and the crown. So a jag to push a wet patch through the bore in one smooth stroke, from the action to the muzzle. Then, if needed a bit of brushing. Using a brush be sure to go all the way out in a smooth stroke. Using a brush equal strokes forward and back...all the way through then return, repeat. The trouble with lever guns (like revolvers) is that you must clean the bore starting at the muzzle and moving toward the chamber. This increases the chance of dinging the crown up and you are going against the "grain"/direction that the bullet travels so be careful.

Black Powder guns you can clean with warm soapy water but be careful to slow dry the thing and avoid rust problems.

Something else to keep in mind is that some of the new tupperware guns and some synthetic grips may blister or discolor from certain cleaning compounds so be careful not to slop the cleaner on non-metal surfaces.

I think that covers the basics.

Good luck and stay safe.
    Last edited by twoguns; March 11th, 2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast