Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: OC on foot....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    hammonton, New Jersey
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default OC on foot....

    Does this allow for Non-residence too? S6106(b)?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    1,337
    Rep Power
    16761

    Default Re: OC on foot....

    Quote Originally Posted by sevenshot View Post
    Does this allow for Non-residence too? S6106(b)?
    Exceptions in 6106(b) don't have anything to do with open carry. There is no law restricting open carry (except in Philly).

    So, if your question is, can a non-resident open carry in PA without a license (except in Philly) the answer is yes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    hammonton, New Jersey
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: OC on foot....

    I read the OC in the sticky... Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania...

    which statue is it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ..............., Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    5,324
    Rep Power
    12601102

    Default Re: OC on foot....

    phillykev is correct that 18 Pa CSA 6106 does not distinguish based on residency.

    Since Sevenshot is new and from NJ he should be aware of the following if he is planning on OC'ing in Pa:

    1. if you are bringing a handgun from NJ for that OC 'self-protection' purpose you are in violation of state law while travelling in NJ unless you have an NJCCW [NJS 2C:39-5b];

    2. while in Pa you can't be within 1000' of a school zone unless you have a Pa LTCF [18 USC 922(q)];

    3. an NJ resident cannot get a Pa LTCF unless they have an NJCCW [18 Pa CSA 6109(e)(1)(ix)];

    4. an NJ resident cannot borrow a handgun from a Pa resident for 'self protection' carry [18 USC 922(a)(5)] and, if that NJ resident does not have a reciprocated license the Pa resident is also violating [18 Pa CSA 6115(a)];

    5. You also cannot transport the handgun in a vehicle while in Pa unless you have a carry license from any state [18 Pa CSA 6106(a)].

    In other words getting a handgun to Pa to OC may be problematic.
    Last edited by tl_3237; March 11th, 2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added 5
    IANAL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    hammonton, New Jersey
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: OC on foot....

    Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    phillykev is correct that 18 Pa CSA 6106 does not distinguish based on residency.

    Since Sevenshot is new and from NJ he should be aware of the following if he is planning on OC'ing in Pa:

    1. if you are bringing a handgun from NJ for that OC 'self-protection' purpose you are in violation of state law while travelling in NJ unless you have an NJCCW [NJS 2C:39-5b];

    2. while in Pa you can't be within 1000' of a school zone unless you have a Pa LTCF [18 USC 922(q)];

    3. an NJ resident cannot get a Pa LTCF unless they have an NJCCW [18 Pa CSA 6109(e)(1)(ix)];

    4. an NJ resident cannot borrow a handgun from a Pa resident for 'self protection' carry [18 USC 922(a)(5)] and, if that NJ resident does not have a reciprocated license the Pa resident is also violating [18 Pa CSA 6115(a)];

    5. You also cannot transport the handgun in a vehicle while in Pa unless you have a carry license from any state [18 Pa CSA 6106(a)].

    In other words getting a handgun to Pa to OC may be problematic.

    I am aware getting over to PA is problematic... with a handgun....

    the NJS 39-6 e and f allow me to transport to PA... How about with a sportsman licence and a PA hunting licence?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ..............., Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    5,324
    Rep Power
    12601102

    Default Re: OC on foot....

    Quote Originally Posted by sevenshot View Post
    I am aware getting over to PA is problematic... with a handgun....

    the NJS 39-6 e and f allow me to transport to PA... I also have a sportsman licence and a PA hunting licence?
    6e does not allow your transport unless you have a business in one state and your residence the other.

    You didn't specify in your original post that you were OCing pursuant to Pa licensed hunting. If your trip is hunting related you may be able to rely on 6f to transport from/to NJ.
    IANAL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    1,337
    Rep Power
    16761

    Default Re: OC on foot....

    Quote Originally Posted by sevenshot View Post
    I read the OC in the sticky... Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania...

    which statue is it?
    There is no statute, that's the point. Other than Philly, and other places where firearms are expressly forbidden, there is no law against open carry. As long as you are covered by an exception for the transport of the firearm to the place where you plan to carry, you will be legal. If you aren't covered by an exception for the transport of the firearm in a vehicle, then the only legal way you can open carry without an LTCF is if you leave your home by foot.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    hammonton, New Jersey
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: OC on foot....

    Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    6e does not allow your transport unless you have a business in one state and your residence the other.

    You didn't specify in your original post that you were OCing pursuant to Pa licensed hunting. If your trip is hunting related you may be able to rely on 6f to transport from/to NJ.

    I mean hey... sure the 6e would work... everytime I go up to my in-laws in the spring through the fall, I go look for woodchucks... so once I'm there it's hi ho silver away!!! LOL Boooowaaaaam!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ..............., Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    5,324
    Rep Power
    12601102

    Default Re: OC on foot....

    Quote Originally Posted by sevenshot View Post
    I mean hey... sure the 6e would work... everytime I go up to my in-laws in the spring through the fall, I go look for woodchucks... so once I'm there it's hi ho silver away!!! LOL Boooowaaaaam!!
    how does 6e apply?
    IANAL

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    hammonton, New Jersey
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: OC on foot....

    Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    There is no statute, that's the point. Other than Philly, and other places where firearms are expressly forbidden, there is no law against open carry. As long as you are covered by an exception for the transport of the firearm to the place where you plan to carry, you will be legal. If you aren't covered by an exception for the transport of the firearm in a vehicle, then the only legal way you can open carry without an LTCF is if you leave your home by foot.

    leave your home by foot.
    Hail no...!!!


    Nah bra..... that six hours one way.... ight!!!!!!! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Stopped on foot by local PD
    By nlcrsn in forum General
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: June 9th, 2009, 08:56 PM
  2. DEA guy that shot himself in the foot...
    By emsjeep in forum General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 8th, 2008, 09:27 PM
  3. Over a foot and more on the way!
    By CoyoteJack in forum General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops