Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stop

(Cumberland County)

Cool Traffic Stop

On The Outdoor Channel i like to watch Midway USA wednesday night at the range. This week on the show American Guardian TV they did a routine
    traffic stop. The guy pulled over told the officer that he was carring a concealed weapon.One of the host of the show is Sheriff Jim Wilson i believe
    from New Mexico, he said that when ever you are pulled over you should tell
    the officer that you carring or that you have a weapon in the vehicle and were
    it is. I myself have asked friends of mine in law inforcement and it's 50/50
    what to do.My question is what would you guys do.

Default Re: Traffic Stop

Quote Originally Posted by Grillman View Post
    On The Outdoor Channel i like to watch Midway USA wednesday night at the range. This week on the show American Guardian TV they did a routine
    traffic stop. The guy pulled over told the officer that he was carring a concealed weapon.One of the host of the show is Sheriff Jim Wilson i believe
    from New Mexico, he said that when ever you are pulled over you should tell
    the officer that you carring or that you have a weapon in the vehicle and were
    it is. I myself have asked friends of mine in law inforcement and it's 50/50
    what to do.My question is what would you guys do.
    Depends on the State. Some states require you by law that you inform the officer. Some don't.

PA is one of the States that don't. The gun at my hip should normally not be anything relevant to a routine traffic stop. So I don't see a reason to waste the officers time. If, for whatever reason, I am ordered to exit my vehicle, I would expect to be patted down after doing so. That's the point (ordered to exit) where I would inform the officer. Here in PA.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Blair County)

Yep no duty to inform in PA. The officer will ask for your license, registration, and proof of insurance. No sense in giving him information he didn't ask for right?

95% of the time if you cooperate with the officer on a 'routine' traffic stop he'll check your information write your citation/warning and send you on your way. No sense in gumming up the works telling him you're armed and causing unnecessary drama
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Washington County)

You've been given good advice. These guys got it right.
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

(Lackawanna County)

They also advise that you should have your registration, proof of insurance and drivers license in a location that you can get to without having to move around or open things. Movement raises LEO concerns and having to open things gives LEO an excuse to say they saw something illegal in your glove box.

I'd inform before the officer had a chance to find it on his/her own. For a normal traffic stop, staying in my vehicle, I see no need. Of course some states do require you to inform, and in others (not PA, at least not now) the officer will know when he runs your registration so I might think differently then.

Sounds like good advice to me. There's a sticky called FAQ: Interstate Transportation of Firearms.... it's located above your post in the sticky section, read the heading, "Other Practical Tips", great information.

Good to know, I saw the same show and couldn't find anything specific in my documentation.

I suppose the fact that you have a LCF doesn't show up when he does his 'check' (whatever that entails).

I'd assume the last things these guys want are any surprises.

(York County)

Just because you have a license, does not mean that you are currently carrying. Officers should treat every traffic stop with an appropriate level of caution, knowing full well that licensed to carry or not, the occupants of said vehicle might well be armed.

If the law doesn't specify that I am required to inform, I won't voluntarily do so. I'd rather keep my mouth shut than have to deny an officer's potential request to inspect/look at/"check" my firearm.

(Allegheny County)

There exists zero reason for me to inform the officer that I'm carrying if it has nothing to do with the stop. That said, I generally OC, am left handed, and if he happened to look down into the car he's likely to see it for himself.

I had one officer tell me I'd "better not go for it if I know what's good for me", that's about all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast