Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Can I buy any type of gun with an expunged record?

Quote Originally Posted by deejmonster View Post
    I really dont feel like this form of response is necessary. I did my research, and looked through legal documents before and I dont have immediate access to a judge or lawyer. I did my research, but it seems like there are some grey areas and the wording is so hard to understand. I am unable to really comprehend legal documents. I came to this forum for help because i felt like its users were more educated than i am on the fact and I am tired of coming up with no answer to my problem and being confused. I feel that your response is rude and it says nothing about who I am personally. My crimes were committed over 10 years ago. I was a child. I am a college graduate and I have turned my life around. I have gone through everything I was supposed to do in life and i am working really hard on turning my life around. Doing all this is not easy, therefore it does not classify me as a spoonie. I work very hard in my life and I dont want to look like a fool for not properly knowing my rights. I would rather find some information on the fact, that is why this forum is here. To take questions, comments, and concerns. You have no idea what research i have done. My comment that i dont want to do research or talk to a lawyer is because i dont have them time or connections. I am sick of not knowing my rights. So i came to this forum for help. Your response is ignorant to all parties involved and it shows that you are no help when someone asks you for assistance. I ask that if you do not like my thread or comments, then you please do not post on them. Its that simple. Your comments are unintelligent and have no information useful to this thread.
    Is it possible you could seek the advice of a law professor?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Your request, rewritten for clarity of purpose:

I did lots and lots of bad shit not too long ago, but now I'm an "adult". Will somebody please tell me that everything is ok and that there are no consequences going forward. Because I want a gun, and my wants are all I ever think about anyway ...

Are you familiar with the term "spoonie". It defines a person who doesn't want to do any research of his own, but rather who wants to be "spoon-fed" information.

Then there are spoonies like you who not only want to be catered to but also don't want any experts raining on their parade. A "just tell me it is all sunshine, rainbows, puppies, and unicorns" spoonie.

Here's the rub. You did what you did (of all the participants in this conversation, only you know the true extent of your crimes) and despite your wishes to the contrary you already have a pretty strong suspicion you are prohibited. My advice, grow up and do the work.
    Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I really dont feel like this form of response is necessary. I did my research, and looked through legal documents before and I dont have immediate access to a judge or lawyer. I did my research, but it seems like there are some grey areas and the wording is so hard to understand. I am unable to really comprehend legal documents. I came to this forum for help because i felt like its users were more educated than i am on the fact and I am tired of coming up with no answer to my problem and being confused. I feel that your response is rude and it says nothing about who I am personally. My crimes were committed over 10 years ago. I was a child. I am a college graduate and I have turned my life around. I have gone through everything I was supposed to do in life and i am working really hard on turning my life around. Doing all this is not easy, therefore it does not classify me as a spoonie. I work very hard in my life and I dont want to look like a fool for not properly knowing my rights. I would rather find some information on the fact, that is why this forum is here. To take questions, comments, and concerns. You have no idea what research i have done. My comment that i dont want to do research or talk to a lawyer is because i dont have them time or connections. I am sick of not knowing my rights. So i came to this forum for help. Your response is ignorant to all parties involved and it shows that you are no help when someone asks you for assistance. I ask that if you do not like my thread or comments, then you please do not post on them. Its that simple. Your comments are unintelligent and have no information useful to this thread.
    Just jumping in to say that asking for legal advice on a forum is not really a good idea.

And while I do not personally know GunLawyer001, he certainly appears to be an upstanding and very knowledgeable individual who has helped others here with gun-related legal issues.

I'd suggest PMing him and setting up a meeting to discuss this. Of course it will cost you some money, but you will have the answers and help that you desire

(Erie County)

Deejmonster, you can pay a fee to a lawyer, have him check your background, or go to a PSP barracks, ask them to check your background, or just go to a store and purchase a shotgun.

Doing any of these three will give you the answer you seek. You won't have to reveal what dumb stuff you did as a juvenile, on the internet, and let us all flap in the wind on whether you can or can not, because you won't give us ALL the pertinent info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Deejmonster, you can pay a fee to a lawyer, have him check your background, or go to a PSP barracks, ask them to check your background, or just go to a store and purchase a shotgun.

Doing any of these three will give you the answer you seek. You won't have to reveal what dumb stuff you did as a juvenile, on the internet, and let us all flap in the wind on whether you can or can not, because you won't give us ALL the pertinent info.
    The part in red is a criminal offense, which is sometimes prosecuted.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The part in red is a criminal offense, which is sometimes prosecuted.
    That I didn't know. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(York County)

My comment that i dont want to do research or talk to a lawyer is because i dont have them time or connections.
    To quote my wise father "...you'll have to pay in cash or aggravation, and sometimes it's just easier to pay in cash."

Paying for an hour's worth of a lawyer's time might save you alot of aggravation.

Or, you could just buy a black power muzzleloader that doesn't require a 4473 or a pre-1898 "antique" that doesn't require a 4473 either
    Last edited by mp517prct; March 13th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    That I didn't know. Thanks.
    You're welcome. It's what I do...

To use PICS to find out if you're prohibited requires filling out at least a 4473, which involves making a series of factual assertions. If you "knowingly" make a false statement, then you've run afoul of statutes which criminalize telling falsehoods to an FFL for the purpose of obtaining a firearm. Worse, if you slip through the cracks and obtain a shotgun, you now additionally are in violation of state and federal laws that prohibit your possession of that shotgun.

If you're not sure if an answer is true, but you state that it is true (that you were never convicted, never involuntarily committed, or any other statement) then you're effectively lying. I may not know what's in a box in the attic; it might be clothes, it might be Christmas decoration, could be anything. But if I state flat-out "it's clothing", then I'm lying if it turns out to be old books. (In fact, I'm sort of lying even if it turns out to be clothing, because I'm stating that I know it to be clothing, when in fact I don't really know what it is.)

If you can't answer all of the questions with certainty, then find out the real answers in a way that doesn't potentially lead to State Police at your door with a warrant and handcuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by mp517prct View Post
    . . .
    Or, you could just buy a black power muzzleloader that doesn't require a 4473 or a pre-1898 "antique" that doesn't require a 4473 either
    This is also a criminal offense, if you're in fact a prohibited person.

PA law criminalizes the possession of anything that spits bullets, whether it's smokeless or black powder, modern or antique.

Just because the government doesn't physically stop you from doing something doesn't make it legal. My car may be capable of 120 MPH, doesn't mean that it's legal for me to floor it. Just because you can mail order a BP rifle to your home doesn't mean that you won't go to jail after it gets there.

(York County)

Interesting thoughts GL, never thought of it that way. You do make an excellent point...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast