Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Man accidentally shoots himself at gun class

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Man accidentally shoots himself at gun class

The Douglas County Sheriff is investigating the death of a man who accidentally shot himself while taking a class to obtain a permit to carry a concealed gun.

Glenn Seymour was 63. He worked as a part-time dispatcher in Mountain Grove, said Douglas County Sheriff Chris Degase.

“It was an accident,” said Degase. “It was a tragic event.”

Degase said Seymour was one of multiple students taking the class at the Shooting Iron, a facility located about a mile north of Vanzant when the accident occurred Saturday afternoon.

Degase said in interviewing witnesses, he determined Seymour, who was familiar with a revolver, told others that his revolver was having trouble, so he switched to a Browning semi-automatic 9 mm weapon.

Students were working on an exercise where they pull their concealed weapon with their non-dominant hand, take the safety off, aim and shoot.

Degase said that on the gun Seymour was using, the thumb of the right hand would normally manipulate the safety.

It appeared to him that during the exercise Seymour was manipulating the safety with his left index finger, which got the gun turned around facing Seymour. One round hit him in the chest, Degase said.

“Initially the call came in that the gun had been dropped and went off, but the trajectory of the bullet did not match up,” said the Sheriff.

Degase said that in order to teach a Conceal and Carry class an instructor must pass either an instructor’s course offered by the National Rifle Association, or a law enforcement instructor course. Lesson plans must be approved by him.

Degase said the instructor has been teaching the class for some time.

“We’re going to go over the lesson plan, to be sure this doesn’t happen again,” said Degase.

“I think prior to having them shoot left-handed, they probably should have spent more time on left hand manipulation prior to going live fire,” said Degase.

------------------------------

This whole article SMELLS like a cover up to me.

The first comment that comes to mind is what the "F--K" was the RO doing, Having a coffee break???

I don't understand how the firearm could "bang" if he using his left index (trigger finger) to operate the safety. How could the bang switch be pulled.

I have tried this drill, using a FN High Power, by reaching in front of the body and reaching behind my back to access the firearm and could not get the muzzle to point at my chest & when operating the safety with my left index finger I had no finger on the trigger.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Man accidentally shoots himself at gun class

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    I'm guessing the safety is only on the left side of the weapon to be activated with the thumb.

So if its in his left hand. The safety is now opposite of where his thumb is.. So he could have turned the weapon barrel pointed at himself.. Maybe he thought he wasn't allowed to use his right hand at all?? And now, while still holding the gun, thumb inside trigger, You can use your pointer finger to manipulate the safety..

Very unfortunate accident.
    That would be my guess too, thumb inside the trigger guard, and a slights squeeze while trying to figure out how to manipulate the safety.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Too many people who shoot will take up an unfamiliar weapon and use it in unsafe manner unless closely watched. I can't begin to count the times that I've seen relatively new shooters pick up a single action pistol, not shoot it to lockback, and then bench the thing sloppily with the safety off and a trailing finger still half inside the trigger guard. I'd just about be willing to bet that this guy would still be alive if the damned pistol still had its ambidextrous safety in place, whether or not he was dumb enough to point it at his own chest.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Too many people who shoot will take up an unfamiliar weapon and use it in unsafe manner unless closely watched.
    Yeah, they should take a class or something...oh, wait...

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    Yeah, they should take a class or something...oh, wait...
    They were at a poorly-run class if the change to a non-familiar weapon wasn't noted and dealt with so that the instructor had confidence in the student's ability to survive the day. The problem with weak hand fire is that it creates new variables for the shooters, and then taking it further multiply out the number of various systems in use. More time to ensure familiarization while empty/clear was imperative. I've got a nice scar on my right thumb from learning to shoot an AK from my left shoulder, so believe me, I know.

(Mercer County)

The article said the first report was the gun was dropped and went off. This was ruled out because of the trajectory.

The more I think about this I'm beginning to think he got the safety off and as he moving the firearm into shooting position the High Power fell out his hand and he attempted to catch it before it hit the ground.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    The more I think about this I'm beginning to think he got the safety off and as he moving the firearm into shooting position the High Power fell out his hand and he attempted to catch it before it hit the ground.
    Which is another thing that you have to beat into the head of a beginner, not playing "grabsie" with something attached to a trigger.

(Lehigh County)

I think the worst part about all of this is that he shouldn't have been in that class to begin with.

For example, I don't own a semi-auto - I have a revolver. That's not to say I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a semi-auto to the range, but...

Going to the range and shooting a semi-auto is a different matter altogether than playing around with one in a holster and drawing it, especially if it's loaded.

If I ever started taking flying lessons, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't start with "Advanced Cross-Wind Landings 101" before I actually climbed into the damn plane...

Untrained novice shooter - given unfamiliar gun - told to use
    his nondominant hand to fire it.

Boy - some Lawyer could really have a PayDay working for
    the relatives

(Monroe County)

That is why i never recommend Single actions ang Glock type firearms for Beginners, mind you if it were a series 80 1911 it would never happen, but a Browning - no FP lock no grip safety?

No way he shot himself the way they are saying, i believe the gun dropped and he tried to catch it or he could nt figure out how to tajke the safety off so he turned it around to fiddle with it , aGAIN NO GRIP SAFETY OR fp LOCK TO PREVENT FIRING once he released the grip.

RIP, sir.

Mike

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast