Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Monroe 3rd in state in growth

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    If you take an air tour over the area you'll realize it's not what it feels like on the ground. It's mostly undeveloped and woods with pockets of housing.
    This is the understatement of the year! But, it very much points out just how odd this area has become. We have a disproportionately large amount of undeveloped public and private land in this area. Since a large part of the private land is owned by hunting/fishing interests and conservancies, I don't see that altering much either. It is, however, very incongruous to see the two extremes of the urban and rural butted up against one another. Actually, I find it almost comical. Almost.

We can bitch about it all we want. Change happens. I may be wrong but, I personally don't see how this area can grow any larger sustainably. There just isn't the industry locally to support it. Commuting to NY/NJ is an option but, as people have already seen, that gets old quickly and has it's own drawbacks (e.g., cost of gas, increased congestion increasing commuting times, etc.)

I'm hoping that the growth to the south finally settles out a bit and doesn't migrate up here. I realize that that may be wishful thinking.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Cedarville NJ one traffic light. Unloading in a barn.
    Those towns are becoming few and far between though. Millville used to be like that, and that's sprouting up in big ways. Geez, Vineland is even a Philly suburb with an ungodly amount of commuters in the past 5-10 years.

Though, the south west part of the state is very different than the rest, much slower to 'sprawl' but all the farmland is shrinking a bit. The ride across route 40 from the shore to the Deleware Memorial Bridge is not as pretty and peaceful as it used to be.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Susquehanna County)

Once upon a time ,the Pocono's was the HONEYMOON CAPITOL of the east coast I guess the HONEYMOONER'S NEVER LEFT

(Carbon County)

hell it was more than honeymooners, it was the place for rich and famous in the 60's

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    hell it was more than honeymooners, it was the place for rich and famous in the 60's
    Some might not know a few things about the Poconos

1. FDR loved vacationing here while in office, right in Henryville at the old (now torn down) Henryville House

2. For many MANY years the Poconos was where mobsters "went to the mattresses" The area was neutral ground for the NY, Philly and NJ mobs. It was understood no matter what gang you were with or what war you might be involved with another gang everyone was 'safe' here.

Don't know if it's still there (camper may know) but right off the Gouldsboro exit and up 412 (think that is the road) stands what left of the 'Hotel Lucchese', supposedly built by the Lucchese family for their 'men'

Another favorite 'haunt' of the mob during those days was the Buck Hill Innl, right here in Barrett Township
    Last edited by dc dalton; March 19th, 2011 at 09:17 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Some might not know a few things about the Poconos

1. FDR loved vacationing here while in office, right in Henryville at the old (now torn down) Henryville House

2. For many MANY years the Poconos was where mobsters "went to the mattresses" The area was neutral ground for the NY, Philly and NJ mobs. It was understood no matter what gang you were with or what war you might be involved with another gang everyone was 'safe' here.

Don't know if it's still there (camper may know) but right off the Gouldsboro exit and up 412 (think that is the road) stands what left of the 'Hotel Lucchese', supposedly built by the Lucchese family for their 'men'

Another favorite 'haunt' of the mob during those days was the Buck Hill Innl, right here in Barrett Township
    Buck Hill is insane, and the Gotti family has a house around here too.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Buck Hill is insane, and the Gotti family has a house around here too.
    Gotti's house was in New Milford.

Funny story about the Gotti family. We used to be really good friends with an old guy that ran Seven Coins and Stamps on 611 in Stroudsburg. I hung out there all the time. We met a friend of his that used to come in once or twice a week to buy any Rolex watches Jimmy had taken in. The guys name was Tiny. Was about 6-2 350 pounds with bright red hair.

Over time I got to be friends with him and found out he loaned money. He said he could give me a better rate than most since he knew and trusted me. I was supposed to meet him one day at Jimmy's shop. We waited all damn day and Tiny never showed up. Even Jimmy was confused because Tiny NEVER missed an appointment.

When we got home that night it was all over the news, Gotti and 20 some of his people had been taken in .... and guess who they snagged in the Poconos?

Tiny .... never saw the man again

(Monroe County)

Johnny ''Onion Head'' Eng Head of the Flying Dragons and also one of the countrys leading heroin importers had a large home in Newfoundland in the late 80's

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678