Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Colt rimfire

Default Colt rimfire

Does anybody have one of these Colt AR type .22's? Likes and dislikes please. Also any comments on other makes in this type rimfire rifles are also welcome. With the cost of ammo these days I'm interested in one....thank you in advance.
    The answer to a fool is silence.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Colt rimfire

I have an ATI M4 operator model. I like it, it is fun and cheep to shoot. Mags are expensive, and some people have had functioning problems. I use Federal 252 value pack ammo I buy when Cabels's runs it on sale and have had no issues. I stuck a cheep Eotech clone on mine and have fun with it.

(York County)

I have a Colt M4 .22LR and externally it's great if you're looking for a USGI style M4 in .22LR. I've been disappointed with the reliablilty for the rifle, lots of Failures to Fire and Failures to Extract with Federal 550rd Bulk pack, Federal Champion, Federal Spitfire, Winchester 333rd bulk pack, Remington 525 bulk pack, and Remington Thunderbolt. The T-Bolt shot the best, Winchester the worst. I also have a GSG-5 and it is 10 times more reliable. Rounds that FTF'd in the M4 get loaded in the GSG and 9 out of 10 fire on the first try. Those that won't fire in the M4 and in the GSG-5 get loaded in my High Standard Model A (it digests anything) and I've only had on "dud" that would fire out of all three. That's my experience after a couple thousand rounds.

My advice if you want a tacti-cool .22 is to get a GSG-5. I love mine! I bought mine used and have no idea how many rounds the previous owner had put through it. After I put between 7,000 and 10,000 though mine, the bolt carrier cracked. I sent it back to ATI and they replaced the bolt carrier, installed a brand new barrel, ejector, extractor, and firing pin at No Charge!

(Monroe County)

If you r dead set on an AR style gun in 22 go with the S&W model. If you want a highly reliable tacticool 22 I highly recommend the Sig 522.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    If you r dead set on an AR style gun in 22 go with the S&W model. If you want a highly reliable tacticool 22 I highly recommend the Sig 522.
    I haven't made my mind up yet between the Sig 522 and the Ruger SR22

Ruger's AR 'look' rifle is based on their 10/22. So it can be upgraded with al the good 10/22 aftermarket parts Saw one at my local shop for about $420 last week

I like the way the handguard on the SR22 can be customized to mount rails where you want them on it

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22/index.html
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Cumberland County)

I have an M&P 15-22. It's been a fantastic gun. Ran great right out of the box. I've actually tried feeding it ammo S&W says you shouldn't. It ate it all, in batches of 500. Mags are propriety, but they're cheap. It comes with a cheap but very functional set of iron sights that you can pop off in two seconds and turn it into a flat top. Overall I couldn't be happier with mine.

I have a buddy who has a Colt/Umarex M4. Let me just say;

The gun is junk. He can't get through a mag without a stoppage. The worst part is if you need service you don't talk to Colt, you talk to Umarex. And from what I hear they aren't the most helpful folk. YMMV, but the Sig and the S&W are sure bets.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Clinton County)

I have a Colt M4 also, as stated earlier in the thread, looks awsome, functions like crap! FTF,FTE, I've tried every brand of ammo, tried cleaning, nothing helps, went and bought a Ruger 10/22, cant beat it, works flawlessly, and with so many different attachments on the market for them you can turn them into your dream gun.
    P.E.t.A.=people eating tasty animals!!!

Thanks guys for the input....very helpful. Always better to hear from people who actually have or have tried a product...and not one mention about me being from NJ!!!!
    The answer to a fool is silence.

(Schuylkill County)

I have the HK 416 made by Umarex (who also make the COLT) and have never had a promblem with it. I use CCI blue box ammo and it loves it.