Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default CCW on Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) rail-trail

Evening everyone.
    I was just wondering about CCW on the GAP trail in Pa. After a quick look at their site I did not see where they have a no firearms rule.

Not that I expect to run into trouble (never have so far) I just don't like to leave a firearm in my unattended car. Other choice would the the motel I am staying at (I'm from Ga, and have a Ga. permit and am waiting for my Pa Non-resident LTCF to arrive in mail) and I don't like leaving it there even more.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: CCW on Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) rail-trail

Its legal. Any portions of the trail that runs through a PA State Park would be concealed only. All other sections would be open or concealed - your preference.

If it isn't on the list - it isn't off-limits. http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

As was said your fine on the PA side. Be careful if your going up over Big Savage. About 1 mile from the eastern side of the tunnel you cross the Mason Dixon line (well marked) into MD. I am extremely familiar with the GAP & C&O trails if you have any questions about the trail or the PIT to DC trip. I've done the through trip 11 times and spend countless days in between on the trails.

Thanks folks

@stevew58. We started a through ride last year at end of Sept. Started in DC and the first day was great, then the rain hit. WHAT A MESS it turned into. Every where we ran into locals and they would tell us "this is the most rain we had in 3 months", 4 days of constant rain. Just my luck to pick that week for vacation.
    It was getting to the point where it was not enjoyable and was getting unsafe due to the C&O mud and trying to ride with all the gear on the bike. So we gave up. If I was 20 years old again we would have kept going.

We ended us using my cousins house as base camp in Smithton, drive to a trail head and ride as much as we could in between visiting family, cemetery and other things one does when "back home" for a visit.
    We got in West Newton to Round bottom, Ohiopyle to Confluence and Meyersdale to Cumberland rides.

Planning another fall trip in Oct to see some leaves change and try to do entire GAP this time.
    So I may take you up on that offer for some info

Been there done that. One year I think it was 2003 the water was so high that Whites Ferry was shut down. Other times the towpath has been under water and impassable. It can be wicked. I have done the B&B style trip but typically carry all my gear and food and camp at the hiker biker sites. Lately I typically do the trip in September weathers still good, stays light long enough, and no kids.

(Westmoreland County)

Stevew:

My wife and daughter have done the whole GAP/C&O thing from Boston(McKeesport) to lock marker 1 about 4 times now. I've done the GAP, with them both or just my wife, from Confluance to Cumberland 2 or 3 times now. LOVE that GLIDE!!

Well let me toss this out there then.
    Do you carry while riding a bicycle? If so, how do you carry your handgun?
    Fanny pack, bike pack of some sort or OWB with a loose shirt covering?

I saw a neat frame pack that was triangle and would be the perfect way to carry but I'm not sure of the pockets were in the right location to make it a good pack for a handgun.

Thoughts anyone?

For me is's a bar bag. Reasonably easy to get to and protected. My riding clothes will not support the weight of even a pocket gun.