Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default smith & wesson 442-2

friend has this model in .38 and wants to sell it to me, anyone know much about this pistolor it's worth?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: smith & wesson 442-2

In the Stores they are going for a little over $500 new .

(Susquehanna County)

thanks had no idea they were so costly.

I paid $459 brand new for mine

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    friend has this model in .38 and wants to sell it to me, anyone know much about this pistolor it's worth?
    Model 442 Airweight (Centennial)
    Blue book says: 100% - $395, 98% - $315, 95% - $250, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    thanks had no idea they were so costly.
    They're not. S&W dropped the price at the beginning of the year. You can get one $361 brand new from Bud's. Even at Cabela's, they're only $420.

It's a Smith & Wesson, which is good, but it's also the cheapest revolver S&W can make, which means aluminum frame, a delicate finish, and rudimentary sights. As a carry gun, its main advantage is reliability. You can load it, forget it, and be about 99.99% sure it will go bang when you squeeze the trigger... well, at least the first 5 times.

Capacity is the obvious downside. Sure, it's 5 shots more than most people will ever need, but it's also not the easiest gun to shoot accurately, which narrows the margin of error if you ever do need it.

(Monroe County)

Smith makes a copy of the 442 that has Hiviz front sight and Rosewood grips , these i see in the stores for over $500.

Which one does your friend has?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post
    They're not. S&W dropped the price at the beginning of the year. You can get one $361 brand new from Bud's. Even at Cabela's, they're only $420.

It's a Smith & Wesson, which is good, but it's also the cheapest revolver S&W can make, which means aluminum frame, a delicate finish, and rudimentary sights. As a carry gun, its main advantage is reliability. You can load it, forget it, and be about 99.99% sure it will go bang when you squeeze the trigger... well, at least the first 5 times.

Capacity is the obvious downside. Sure, it's 5 shots more than most people will ever need, but it's also not the easiest gun to shoot accurately, which narrows the margin of error if you ever do need it.
    I would have to concur with the above and add that shooting any "air-weight" is not a pleasant experience. They are hard kicking because there is no weight to absorb the recoil. The short barrel makes it difficult to get a good sight-target picture. They have a place but it is not a main go-to gun.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post

Winsauce.

Rep coming your way, since you typed that out for me.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here