Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default RTF( Rough Textured Finish)

Anyone have any experience with this? What benefits/cons does it provide?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: RTF( Rough Textured Finish)

It has a rough texture...

The Glock 22 RTF (Rough Texture Frame) is a new version of the Glock 22 in .40, introduced January 2009. The “texture” on the 22 RTF is a series of raised, tapered points called a “polymids,” a newly-coined word from Glock. They cover the entire gripping surface, including the dual-sided thumb rest depressions. The accessory rail remains, as do the finger grooves but now with a lesser height.
    The polymid treatment gives a more positive gripping surface as best I can determine after rapid-fire shooting of my own pebble-grip G22 and the new G22 RTF. The new gun has less “squirm” in your hand. Contrary to what I’ve read elsewhere, the polymid did not remove any skin. On this point, while certainly possible, it reminds me of similar comments made when the .44 Mag cartridge and Smith & Wesson’s M29 were introduced. Some pundits opined that when firing this combination, the fierce recoil would surely shred the shooter’s hand. (Of course, it didn’t.)
    Another noticeable change is the slide’s grasping grooves. Formerly vertical, these are now crescent-shaped with the openings facing rearward. This was done to correct hand-cutting problem. These vertical grasping grooves do have somewhat of an abrupt lower edge and for someone shooting with a high grip or with large hands, the grooves can drag over their shooting-hand thumb. In fact, a friend of mine had a bit of a knick from the action.
    Another noticeable change is the slide’s grasping grooves. Formerly vertical, these are now crescent-shaped with the openings facing rearward. This was done to correct hand-cutting problem. These vertical grasping grooves do have somewhat of an abrupt lower edge and for someone shooting with a high grip or with large hands, the grooves can drag over their shooting-hand thumb. In fact, a friend of mine had a bit of a knick from the action.

A close examination of the G22 RTF reveals other, subtle changes. Historically, the lower front edge of the front strap had a half-moon cutout, which aided in removing the magazine. When using early non-drop-free magazines (which were deliberately designed this way), the half-moon cutout did facilitate magazine removal, but it is not necessary as most of the drop-free magazines do just that, or at least have enough of the magazine sticking out to be easily grabbed for removal. Depending on your hand size and how you might hold the gun, the cutout could be annoying, as one’s little finger often rode on the edge of the cutout. Finally, the frame proper is thicker overall.
    There are two performance enhancements. The locking block’s legs have more of a radius to improve functioning, as is also the case with the #8 magazine follower for the .40 caliber, both done to jointly address a wider range of cartridges, which have various bullet designs and velocities.
    There is a factory control number imprinted on the top left center of the frame, which specifically identifies the make of this component. As a backup to this number, there is a cluster of dots inside the top rear of the frame (not visible unless the trigger group is removed), which can be decoded to provide the same information. The serial number window is now free of any polymer overhang making it easier to read.
    There have been other manufacturing changes over the production history of Glock pistols, as the company has simply integrated any product improvements or corrective actions into ongoing manufacture. Glock also goes an extra step. When a handgun is returned for service or is encountered in the field for inspection or service by a factory armorer, any such changes are done without charge.
    http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...-22-rtf-40-xt/
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chvyrs90 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this? What benefits/cons does it provide?
    IMO, it has no cons. I love it. I've got a G17 RTF2. It's not so aggressive as to be a problem, but the weapon feels far more stable in my grip. In the absence of the RTF, I apply Talon Grips (die cut grip tape), as I did to my G21SF. More "gritty" than Glock's RTF, but I like it as well.

http://talongungrips.com/
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Philadelphia County)

Someone told me they have a tendancy to get caught on clothing when CC. Any truth to this?

(Allegheny County)

I love the RTF2 .

Pro's : grip sticks to your hand like velcro. Not too rough though.

Cons: grip sticks to EVERYTHING ELSE like static cling, may not be the best for CC depending on clothes material type (ie: printing as the light T clings to the frame)

(Monroe County)

If you've got the extra dough and you're heading into a glock chambered in 40 s&w, take a look at the 4th gen glock 22 or 23. The reason I mention this is because the 9mm 4th gen glocks, in specific, the G17, have been faced with quite a few problems. However, all 4th gen glocks now have a RTF frame. It is a little more subdued than the actual gen 3 RTF2 frames, which is a good thing for general concealed carry from what I understand. The texture was so coarse on the gen 3 RTF2's that people complained of clothing being ripped, and when wearing glock rtf2 in a iwb holster, people complained it was way too rough against the skin, and there was even bleeding according to teh intarwebz.

I'm picking up my Gen 4 G22 on friday, very excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Susquehanna County)

Funny, 40 years ago I used a rubber contact cement to stick fine emery cloth to the front strap of my High Standard target pistol. It worked quite well.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

I have the RTF Glock 22 and love it. The slide serrations are very nice when chambering that first round quickly. Definitely has a sand paper feel but you get use to it very quick. If you are getting a Glock I would get it RTF.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Funny, 40 years ago I used a rubber contact cement to stick fine emery cloth to the front strap of my High Standard target pistol. It worked quite well.
    They had guns back then? How did you know how to use them without teh interwebz?

ETA; I was going to rep you to soften the blow a little but I must spread it around first. Hopefully someone will proxy rep you for having more firearms experience than I'll have for another 25 years or so.
    Last edited by rwb1500; March 9th, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    They had guns back then? How did you know how to use them without teh interwebz?
    I suspect that was a time when even the bad guys had some degree of dignity.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast