Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default silencer question

hey i'm new to the forums... found it looking for information on buying a silencer and then I found on this site that cambria county is NOT NFA friendly... However it appears that a few people on here from cambria county have silencers and I was wondering if the sheriff signed off on the forms, or if a trust was set up, or however it is that you got approval. Second, where should I look into finding a dealer to pick a silencer up from in this area? Thanks in advance for any information you can pass along my way!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: silencer question

Those people either

A) bought it with a trust or LLC,
    B) Bought it when they lived in another county, then moved there,
    C) Got a signature from someone other than the sheriff (Local police chief, judge, etc) or
    D) Got a signature when there was a different sheriff in office.

I'd say your best bet is to talk to your local police chief. If that doesn't work, call a lawyer and get a trust made. I used Joshua Prince:

http://www.princelaw.com/Bio/JoshuaPrince.asp

It's $500 for a trust. Good luck.

(Cambria County)

thanks for the input... i was unaware that you could do it through an LLC... i created an LLC a few years ago in order to purchase a piece of real estate, that fell through, and the LLC has been inactive for 3-4 years. Anyone else have any information on how I go about having a silencer transfered into the name of my LLC?

and anyone in cambria county, if you didn't get yours through getting sheriff kolar, who signed for yours?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jrast2 View Post
    thanks for the input... i was unaware that you could do it through an LLC... i created an LLC a few years ago in order to purchase a piece of real estate, that fell through, and the LLC has been inactive for 3-4 years. Anyone else have any information on how I go about having a silencer transfered into the name of my LLC?

and anyone in cambria county, if you didn't get yours through getting sheriff kolar, who signed for yours?
    I think the LLC has to be active, then you just find a class 3 dealer, and fill out the paperwork with your LLC info. I would also suggest a trust instead. If you are not using, or going to use an LLC, why pay yearly to have it open? Just do a trust, either pay someone a one time fee, or use a template that can be found online. Another downside to a LLC, is that if you close it up, you will have to transfer the NFA item again (another $200 stamp).

(Cambria County)

You can check out Allegheny Trade Company in Duncansville. I know they have dealt in NFA items before and will likely be able to give you good info. I have not been there in years because at least one employee there is a racist bigot, and I refuse to support that crap. East Coast Gun Sales, also in Ducansville, may be a good alternative.

Keep in mind, the law requires the signature of a chief LEO, which does not necessairly have to be the County chief LEO... That is if I understand the regs correctly, and IANAL.

Please let us know if you learn anything interesting.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Those people either

A) bought it with a trust or LLC,
    B) Bought it when they lived in another county, then moved there,
    C) Got a signature from someone other than the sheriff (Local police chief, judge, etc) or
    D) Got a signature when there was a different sheriff in office.

I'd say your best bet is to talk to your local police chief. If that doesn't work, call a lawyer and get a trust made. I used Joshua Prince:

http://www.princelaw.com/Bio/JoshuaPrince.asp

It's $500 for a trust. Good luck.
    I just used him for my trust. Very helpful.

(Blair County)

i have bought nfa sliencers of Allegheny Trade Co. and had no problems they really know what they are doing, and dont listen to the one poster these guys are great and not racist.check them out