Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: crannnberry gun stores

Cranberry is big bucks to do anything so it is very hard for any business to take off out there, most are usually broke and closed up within a few months.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    I really don't think that zoning issues have a whole lot to do with the lack of a gun store in Cranberry. As someone who's had family in the township and then lived there myself for 30+ years, I actually appreciate what they're trying to do. If someone of the long-range planning had been in effect back in the 80s when the sprawl started, I don't think we'd have nearly as many traffic and property problems as we to today. However a lot of that is aimed at the big developers and large retail chains. (Note: I'm not going to participate in a zoning debate here, just stating my opinion as the opening to my main point.)

I think that most of the reason there's no gun store in Cranberry is that simply no one has tried to do it - at least I've not heard of a startup in years. I don't have any big problem with Big Buck as the few times I've been in there I thought I had good service. I usually shop online, used at shows, etc. But my understanding is that by and large their pricing is high, although that's based on others and not my own personal experience. They seem to get bashed a lot for that at any rate. However, a big part of the reason they can (supposedly) charge higher prices is because of a lack of competition. If someone opened up a credible alternative ala Ace's or Sportsmen's Supply in Cranberry or the surrounding area, I think people would visit in droves. Competition would drive prices, innovation, etc. The whole capitalism thing, you know?

High rental costs right in "downtown" could be a limiting factor, but there's a number of empty or high-turnover older storefronts that could be great possibilities (e.g. where AutoZone is now - old Viola's market plaza, Piazza Plaza has lots of turnover, etc). Right in the neighborhood, so to speak, is Zelinople, Jackson Township, Harmony, Callery or Forward Township - all lower-priced alternatives but close enough to hit the major population center in the region.

Ha! I wish that were the case! Then my firearms habit would be a lot easier on the wallet.
    To be completely honest with you i am amazed that the old gas station across from the comtra theater still is empty. Im sure it has everything to do with digging out the old tanks, but that would be prime property to open a huge gun shop if someone had the money. But after almost 22 years of living in c-berry im moving out as soon as i can. WAAAAY to many yuppies for this good ol boy.
    PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by zeroflat24 View Post
    To be completely honest with you i am amazed that the old gas station across from the comtra theater still is empty.
    This drives me nuts every time I drive past it (three times today). Looks like a crack-shelter. I'm hoping that the new Alti plaza and such makes someone buy that plot. Hell raze it and let farmers set up stands for free. That'd get mad traffic, at least in the summer.

By the way... still no gun shop in Cranberry Twp. SIGH.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Yeah, we sure could use a nice shop. And a club that caters more to tactical training & competition, instead of the old fuddy-duddy clubs around here.

(Butler County)

Actually, I think the whole area from Rochester Rd. to Ogleview where that old nasty Gulf station is actually is a pretty poor area to put anything. You can only reasonably get to anything that would be located along there if you're coming south on 19. You can't even do a U-turn (legally, like in front of EnP) or "go around the block" to get to that stretch if you were coming north. The only way that's going to change is if they reroute Unionville Rd. to intersect with Rochester and provide a back way into future potential stores. But the only way that happens is if the couple that owns that farm on the corner finally sell it (which, BTW, they have fantastic corn in the summer). No one's going to go to the expense of digging up those old fuel tanks and razing that station without some larger project. If you look at Google Maps, that's actually a pretty small lot. So a big chain of events just to deal with that little lot.

I've thought about this off and on, and I think the best place to open a new store would be on the far north end of Cranberry up by Old 19 or Bear Run.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    You can't even do a U-turn (legally, like in front of EnP) or "go around the block" to get to that stretch if you were coming north.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean here. There is a suicide lane the whole length of this stretch between the rochester light and the rowan light, minus a couple hundred feet of turn lane cement nearest rochester. Going North you go a hundred yards and get in the turn lane and you're turning into that station.

(Butler County)

Accessing Route 19 anywhere except at a light is usually a pain in Cranberry. Assuming someone could afford the rent in a vacant storefront, would such a building be secure enough for a gun store?

Doing anything in Cranberry is expensive - from the cost of the property, to all the other costs associated with development - regardless of where you are in the township.

Cranberry is in the process of building a new public safety training building. I don't think they have provided for an indoor range for police training, but wouldn't it be cool if they did, and allowed public access? After all, they provide many other recreational activities for township residents...

Several years ago, an indoor range was proposed in Jackson Township, back Zehner School Road (I think one of the proposed owners may have been a Cranberry supervisor and retired PSP trooper). Due to opposition from neighbors (some McMansions in the area) it never came to pass.

I can remember a time when Zelienople had 2 or 3 gun shops / sporting goods stores...the good ol' days.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean here. There is a suicide lane the whole length of this stretch between the rochester light and the rowan light, minus a couple hundred feet of turn lane cement nearest rochester. Going North you go a hundred yards and get in the turn lane and you're turning into that station.
    Ah, you're right. For some reason, I was thinking the divider went up to Piazza Plaza. Still, turning left while going north on 19 is still hard, especially when the traffic at Rochester backs up on 19N.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Erie County)

While not in Cranberry, it's only about 40-50 miles; http://altrafirearms.com/ has everything you guys are looking for.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    has everything you guys are looking for.
    ... your answer to "store in Cranberry" is a place North of 80? There are 20 stores closer to Cranberry than that place, including every store in Pittsburgh. The point of this thread is convenience.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast