Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: hornady critical vs speer gold dot

i prefer buffalobore

Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo - 158 gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC (850fps/M.E. 253 ft. lbs.)
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Philadelphia County)

Gold Dots because of the bonded bullets !
    Out of all Hornady's line up, Critical Defense seems to be the most contreversial.
    It gets both good write ups and bad . Gold Dot on the other hand has always recieved
    good write ups ! Me personally I'd rather use the TAP line than Critical Defense.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Bucks County)

I have shot hornady. Did not like the performance.

Shots speer liked them. I use corbon per ball as well.
    Both of those expanded.

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I'm of the opinion it's better to be prepared for everything you reasonably can and have all bases covered. I like sticking to self defense rounds with a proven street record. In other words, lots of shootings by law enforcement, and well documented results of how bad the scumbags got tore up with consistent positive results. If I can find a round that will penetrate glass, stay on path, and still expand inside an attacker, that's just a plus and something I would consider a blessing if god forbid I ever had to use my firearm in such a manner.

IMO, especially the way I see things heading in this country, people need to take another look at the kind of handguns they carry and the ammunition they keep loaded in it.
    Rock Island 22TCM...
    I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought that gun, lol. It's a blast to shoot with the 9mm barrel in it, and not unpleasant with the 22TCM rounds. But you want a round that's going to fly straight (quarter size group from rest at 25 yards, and didn't miss the silhouette bad guy at 50 no rest) as well as hit glass/a windshield and keep right on truckin on the same trajectory with enough to UNDOUBTEDLY neutralize the threat and have 17 times to do it... Rock Island 22TCM. (Don't care to carry a 5" 1911...so I got the 4". Neighbor has the 5". We've side by side shot them from rest and free standing, not enough noticeable difference in recoil/accuracy/etc. w/ or w/out the extra inch... I've got video somewhere on here of us blowing up the Halloween pumpkins my kids had left through a car door window. Spider webbed the glass with a hole in the middle and the pumpkin went BOOM in an ever so dramatic fashion!)
    Rock Island 22TCM...

(Delaware County)

I like the crush-poly tips on CD (addresses the old problem of hollowpoint plugging). I love the short-barreled formulations that GD has created.

When I first purchased a pistol for carry, I was advised by the salesperson that some of his clients changed ammunition by season, much as they'd change their coats. Winter months, with the likelihood of encountering materials better able to plug a traditional hollowpoint, might call for a more aggressive projectile (or, in this case, a crushable tip). Short-sleeve weather would bring about a change of carry rounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12