Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default About to buy my first 1911. What do you think?

The title says it all. I'm about to pull the trigger on my first 1911 purchase. I have been researching it for a while now and I think I’m ready. I want to get a Kimber Custom TLE II. I do have a few more questions though.

How important is an ambidextrous safety? I like the idea but will I really need it and could it mess me up somehow.
    Do any of yinz like how a rail looks on a 1911? Again I like the idea but I don't think it looks as good.

It will be used for range work and maybe HD.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: About to buy my first 1911. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryD1130 View Post
    The title says it all. I'm about to pull the trigger on my first 1911 purchase. I have been researching it for a while now and I think I’m ready. I want to get a Kimber Custom TLE II. I do have a few more questions though.

How important is an ambidextrous safety? I like the idea but will I really need it and could it mess me up somehow.
    Do any of yinz like how a rail looks on a 1911? Again I like the idea but I don't think it looks as good.

I like the Kimber Custom TLE II, good first 1911. An ambi safety is not important. I don't have one on my 1911, and unless my dominant hand became injured, I have no need for one. I like the look of a 1911 without a rail, and it's somewhat difficult to find a nice holster that a railed 1911 fits into. For HD, a rail is great for adding a light/laser.

(Philadelphia County)

I despise a railed 1911. I also dislike any 1911 that isn't a government size and a 45. You can get the Kimber in a similar model, without the rail if your not hot on it.

(Allegheny County)

I don't want a ambi-safety or rail. I was thinking about getting a Kimber Custom TLE II or a STI Trojan but I'm up to opinions.

(Westmoreland County)

If you decide to do any action shooting sports (USPSA/IDPA), you will often have to draw transfer the gun to your weak had and then engage targets. An ambi saftey is very useful, but not required. It will alllow you to tranfser the gun between hands before disengaging the safety.

Rails? depending on your needs it is up to you. An advantage of the rails will be that the frame will be heavier. It will cut down on felt recoil.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Snyder County)

My first 1911 was a kimber stainless tleII. I love that gun to this day. I have a shoulder holster for it and an IWB holster. It is a very accurate gun and the night sights will help you out if you use it for HD but just at the range they are very nice in the daylight also. You will have to break it in so I suggest buying some nice ball ammo and shoot it as much as you can. I had a few issues with mine but after few hundred rounds it went away and it is one of my most reliable and accurate pistols that I own. During the break in period make sure you keep it lubed really good I use shooters choice fp-10. With what you described I don't think you will miss the ambi safety. If you decide later on down the road you want the ambi safety just get a gunsmith to install it or send it back to kimber.

I don't want a ambi-safety or rail. I was thinking about getting a Kimber Custom TLE II or a STI Trojan but I'm up to opinions.
    456 - I'd opt for the STI but it has rails and might be a little more expensive then the Kimber unless its a mid level or high level Kimber. Rails stop the 1911 from fitting in slim line pancake holsters and the like. But does add a tactical plus to the rig. I bought my 3 1911 before the rave but some time wish one of them had a rail.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it up. What other 1911's should I be looking at? I would like to get something under $1000 but it can go to $1500.

(Philadelphia County)

If you want a 1911 for look and if you're a purist, then no rails and no ambi. If you want a 1911 because it's a great gun and you want to use it for HD and/or sharing with others (like teaching) who may be left handed, then ambi and rails aren't bad to have.

I got a Kimber TLE/RL II which has rails because I wanted to mount a laser/light combo on it as a primary HD handgun. For me, a light/laser combo is a must have for HD, but it may not be the case for others. Now I teach a lot of new shooters and each session always includes the TLE/RL II. Once in a while, I run into a lefty and it's awkward for them to operate the safety. I've since moved to a Glock for HD so now I wish I have a 1911 without the rail, but with ambi.

So it comes down practicality vs. look. If I were to buy another 1911, it will be a Colt. You can't go wrong with the name that IS the 1911.

Al
    ETA: I'd spend around $1K for a good 1911, I'd spend $2K+ for a high end 1911 like Wilson Combat, Les Baer, but I wouldn't spend $1500 on a neither here nor there 1911.
    Last edited by mythaeus; March 9th, 2011 at 11:20 PM.

(Lawrence County)

I personally don't care for the rail or ambi safety. But if you're using it for home defense then being able to mount a light on the rail might be a good thing to have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast