Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Montgomery County)

Default Where do you buy your firearms from?

Greetings all. There are a lot of posts seeking advice on what to buy. I am wondering where you guys buy them from? I have been to a lot of gun shows but don't like to buy firearms there. Prices aren't that good and I don't want all those people around me watching me filling out forms etc. Besides, I probably won't see the vendor again. Mail order? Not comfortable with it either. I am certainly not going to meet some FFL dealer at his private home to take delivery of a gun. Online? similar feelings. That leaves local shops, which I have done business with. Selling is another matter. I have never sold a gun so have little experience in that department.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Where do you buy your firearms from?

Nice folks I meet in the Pafoa classifieds.

Only junk gun I've ever purchased was from a gun shop. Everything I get from these guys is pure gold.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Berks County)

I've bought multiple guns at shows, local shops, main stream commercial stores, and people here. At shows I always make sure I buy from a dealer I can go visit should anything arise. Always take their business card and or information before walking away.

Don't be so worried...it's not like you're buying something that could potentially kill someone/something.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH WAIT...

(Warren County)

I'll second this, with the exception of one police trade-in I bought off of omb express police supply, I have bought all my guns off of the classified ads here on POFOA. As of yet, I've not had a bad deal nor a bad gun deal yet. Plus I've met some nice people to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Nice folks I meet in the Pafoa classifieds.

Only junk gun I've ever purchased was from a gun shop. Everything I get from these guys is pure gold.
    Last edited by chez323; March 8th, 2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Montgomery County)

When I moved here (MontCo, like you), I couldn't find a dealer I really liked. I drive a fair distance to shoot at Targetmaster, but have never been a big fan of their selection or service when it comes to firearms.

Someone on the MontCo subforum recommended Tanner's in Jamison. It's about a 20 minute drive north from where I live (near Plymouth Meeting) and the prices are incredible. I just purchased my Kimber .45 there, and they were a solid $200 below Targetmaster. They have plenty of people working there on most days, so you don't stand around like a jackass all day waiting for someone to help you. It's where I will buy all of my guns from now on.

BTW, if anyone is looking for an FNH 5-7 pistol, they sell them for $899 any day of the week. Compare that to the other local dealers in the area, if you can find the gun in stock. Great prices generally.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks all. Learned a lot. Never thought of the classified section right here! What better people to deal with than the local gun enthusiasts! My closest gun shop is King's. Haven't been there in years but I think they are still in business. The largest one that is still relatively close is French Creek sporting goods.

Close to philly...SPAG>Targetmaster>Classic Pistol. These places have wide selection and the staff are generally friendly and knowledgeable, the prices are normal for the most part. SPAG is where I always shoot as well, and the staff are really good people, they will not jerk you around with sales.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Thanks all. Learned a lot. Never thought of the classified section right here! What better people to deal with than the local gun enthusiasts! My closest gun shop is King's. Haven't been there in years but I think they are still in business. The largest one that is still relatively close is French Creek sporting goods.
    ps, Had a strange interaction with a guy from King's (King Shooter Supply?) at a gun show that really turned me off to the place. But, went in in December to check out the place and ended up having a 30 min conversation with the woman behind the counter. They knew I was just shopping around and were totally cool and helpful. They had a decent Kimber selection and attractive prices.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Greetings all. There are a lot of posts seeking advice on what to buy. I am wondering where you guys buy them from? I have been to a lot of gun shows but don't like to buy firearms there. Prices aren't that good and I don't want all those people around me watching me filling out forms etc. Besides, I probably won't see the vendor again. Mail order? Not comfortable with it either. I am certainly not going to meet some FFL dealer at his private home to take delivery of a gun. Online? similar feelings. That leaves local shops, which I have done business with. Selling is another matter. I have never sold a gun so have little experience in that department.
    Sounds to me like you already have this one "figured out."

I have done all of the above, with the exception of gun show purchase. As long as everything is on the up-and-up w/ the 4473, the FFL, etc., why the concern?

It's not like you're driving down to 3rd and Indiana, asking around for some dude named Fish Scale, and telling him that Lil Queef sent you for a burner

I would second the recommendation of starting off doing a face-to-face through meeting a forum member at a local FFL-holder...

Regards,

Bones

(Bucks County)

For the most part I like to keep it local so purchase most of mine from Tanner's in Jamison. Great bunch of guys there and the prices are generally the best I've seen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast