Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default who can stake my gas key?

So I have two ARs, and I was cleaning one yesterday and noticed that the gas key was loose. I tightened it as much as possible, but I would like to have my BCGs staked. I tried to do it mself with a hammer and screw driver, but without a vise its nearly impossible.
    is there anyone in the montgomery/bucks county area that can help me out?
    Thanks guys!

(Centre County)

Default Re: who can stake my gas key?

Use an automatic punch. $2.99 from Horrible Fright.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by masakarijoe View Post
    . . . I tried to do it mself with a hammer and screw driver, but without a vise its nearly impossible . . .

No offense, but without the correct staking tool it is absolutely impossible. A screwdriver is not the correct staking tool.

You need a centerpunch, or a centerpunch made from a nailset with the tip ground to a 45 degree conical point. A pointed centerpunch will "dig in" to the metal on each side of the gas key, and will displace the metal up against the serrations on the heads of the gas key hex recess screws.

A centerpunch costs maybe $5 +/- $3 or so at hardware stores and home centers.

I use a centerpunch and a 2 lb forging hammer to stake gas keys, with the bolt carrier resting on a bench block. No vise involved. You could use a strip of hardwood to support the carrier on its side, with the one side of the gas key facing up. And the hardwood under the other side of the gas key. A couple or four good smacks at each of four points on the key and the job is done. Takes longer to type it out than to do it.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    No offense, but without the correct staking tool it is absolutely impossible. A screwdriver is not the correct staking tool.

You need a centerpunch, or a centerpunch made from a nailset with the tip ground to a 45 degree conical point. A pointed centerpunch will "dig in" to the metal on each side of the gas key, and will displace the metal up against the serrations on the heads of the gas key hex recess screws.

A centerpunch costs maybe $5 +/- $3 or so at hardware stores and home centers.

I use a centerpunch and a 2 lb forging hammer to stake gas keys, with the bolt carrier resting on a bench block. No vise involved. You could use a strip of hardwood to support the carrier on its side, with the one side of the gas key facing up. And the hardwood under the other side of the gas key. A couple or four good smacks at each of four points on the key and the job is done. Takes longer to type it out than to do it.

Noah
    Well thanks for the info, ill go ahead and grab a punch and get right on it.