Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Wide Open Online Competition - thru April 30 2011

There hasn't been an active online competition here for a while, so I thought I would post one.

The attached target has ten circles, starting at the upper left and spiraling in towards the center. The first one is about 2 3/4 inches in diameter, and each successive circle gets smaller by about a 1/4 inch until the smallest is about 1/2 inch across. Start at the largest and take one shot at each circle. If you hit it move onto the next one, until you miss. Any shots after the first miss don’t count. A touch counts as a hit, so if in doubt, keep shooting. Ten shots maximum.

Here’s the twist: Use any firearm (firing a single projectile), any sighting system, any distance. Submit the details, including ammo used, bench vs. free standing, indoor vs. outdoor range, weather conditions, etc. Give it as many tries as you like, as many ways as you like.

Rather than score the targets we’ll put up the best looking ones at the end of the contest in a poll and vote for the winner. Degree of difficulty should be a big factor on determining who wins. So a perfect 10 put up by a benched, scoped, bolt action 22 rifle at 25 yards might lose to an 8 by a offhand, iron sighted, semi auto 45 pistol at 10 yards. Who knows?

I’ll keep this open until the end of April, then set up the poll to determine the winner.

I just made this target up, so I haven't shot it yet. I'll be starting at 5 yards with my Single Six and then back it up from there if I do well enough.
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Wide Open Online Competition - thru April 30 2011

I gave this a try today. I may give the center-fire another attempt. Both targets were shot from a rest; the .22 target was shot at 50 yards and the center-fire at 100. I blew the last shot at 100 and just got in with my last shot at 50. I would like to try it again with a handgun but a little closer.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for getting us started! What rifles did you use, and were they scoped?

Try as many times as you like, I intend to.

(Butler County)

I like that target. I hope to get to shoot it on march 19th when I go to the range to sight in my rifle. Unless something happens and I dont get to the range, I will post one also

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdChance View Post
    Thanks for getting us started! What rifles did you use, and were they scoped?

Try as many times as you like, I intend to.
    I did use a scope on the rifles. My eyes can't make out that small circle at 50 yards and I don't think I can see any of them unaided clearly enough to shoot at 100 yards. The .22 is a Walther Running Boar rifle with a modified Tasco 705 12X. That scope draws more attention at the range than the rifle. The ammo was Eley.

The center fire rifle is a Remington 40X 6PPC and Leupold fixed 36X scope. The ammo I can only describe as something with a red tip that I found in an old box. I didn't have 10 rounds of anything else that was all the same. I am not sure what it was loaded with and I thought I would just shoot it up. It actually shot pretty well for not knowing what it was. The rifle is accurate and I will have to load some after I get some empty cases and I will try the targets again.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    I did use a scope on the rifles. My eyes can't make out that small circle at 50 yards and I don't think I can see any of them unaided clearly enough to shoot at 100 yards.
    I will stipulate that it's okay to color in the circles if it helps to make them more visible. I just didn't want the targets to take a lot of ink to print.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MicroMonkey View Post
    I like that target. I hope to get to shoot it on march 19th when I go to the range to sight in my rifle. Unless something happens and I dont get to the range, I will post one also
    Please join in! Not sure when I will get to shoot this thing myself, I had hoped to get to the range this weekend but right now it doesn't look like I'm going to make it.

(York County)

The target looks interesting. I may have to try it. Up for some friendly competition from a girl?

(Clearfield County)

I had some odds and ends of 32 S&W so I shot some handgun. These were shot close, only 10 yards away. I shot them standing but I did use two hands on the gun. The pistol is a Benelli MP3S and you are limited to iron sights on them as they eject straight up. I needed every bit of the ink on shot #10 so I did take a picture with the plug in it.

(Butler County)

Looks like fun. Just printed some. Will try to shoot them up this week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast