Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default 2 curious questons

The first question I have is say if Im going to a club with my buddy and its his car we take and the bouncer tells me I cant bring it in there. Can I legally leave my gun in his car? The second question I have has to do with walmart. Is there anything I should know when I open carry there. Do they allow it and if everytime I go in there am I most likley going to be harrassed? The reason I ask is Im not looking for trouble but I do want to exercise my right to open carry. Thanks in advance guys

(Franklin County)

Default Re: 2 curious questons

Quote Originally Posted by zoanemesis View Post
    The first question I have is say if Im going to a club with my buddy and its his car we take and the bouncer tells me I cant bring it in there. Can I legally leave my gun in his car? The second question I have has to do with walmart. Is there anything I should know when I open carry there. Do they allow it and if everytime I go in there am I most likley going to be harrassed? The reason I ask is Im not looking for trouble but I do want to exercise my right to open carry. Thanks in advance guys
    #1. Yes, it's completely legal, but not necessarily advisable, especially after someone knows for sure that there will be an unattended firearm. If you do leave it in the car, secure it as much as you possibly can - In a lockbox, in a locked trunk, magazine and ammo with you, etc.

#2. I've been into Walmart while oc, literally hundreds of times in many different states and locations and have never had an issue. However, I do recognize that incidents do pop up from time to time.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Venango County)

As for walmart.

I have been told by corporate, it is allowed. I have been told by a store manager, that it wasn't. After he was corrected, he told me if it made anyone panic, they would ask me to leave. So, I just avoid walmart if at all possible. Seems some of them are better than others. And mine is not a good one.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    As for walmart.

I have been told by corporate, it is allowed. I have been told by a store manager, that it wasn't. After he was corrected, he told me if it made anyone panic, they would ask me to leave. So, I just avoid walmart if at all possible. Seems some of them are better than others. And mine is not a good one.
    Wal Marts are picky about that ones are on others arent, when i lived in pittsburgh i oc alot. Was it the cranberry Wal Mart ? I was making a return there one time within the policies while open carring, the lady told me i wasnt not allowed to make the return and the manager told me that i was not permitted on store grounds with a sidearm. While in route to the car an on the phone with the regional manager and corp, conference call i was meet by 2 state police cruisers. Was very unhappy getting, at gun point, to drop my phone and place my hands on my head. Apparently a passer by call the police and said i was in walmart brandishing a firearm. By that time the rgional manager was on the phone with the store manager and he was in the lot just as i was being cuffed. long story short after seeing the security tape i was released and the manager was kissing my ass. I signed a waver and got a 500 gift card out of it even though i wasnt going to push any issue with it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by zoanemesis View Post
    Do you have an LTCF or reciprocated license? If not you can't have the firearm in a vehicle going to a 'club'.

Does your buddy have an LTCF or reciprocated license? If not then you should stow the handgun in a locked container to which ONLY you have the key or take possession of the car's keys from your buddy while the handgun is locked therein. Failure to do either may incur issues under 18 Pa CSA 6115 since your buddy cannot be given 'dominion' over the handgun and would subject you to potential charges.
    IANAL

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Do you have an LTCF or reciprocated license? If not you can't have the firearm in a vehicle going to a 'club'.

Does your buddy have an LTCF or reciprocated license? If not then you should stow the handgun in a locked container to which ONLY you have the key or take possession of the car's keys from your buddy while the handgun is locked therein. Failure to do either may incur issues under 18 Pa CSA 6115 since your buddy cannot be given 'dominion' over the handgun and would subject you to potential charges.
    I do have a LTCF but my buddy does not.

(Westmoreland County)

It would be beneficial for you to familiarize yourself with Headcase's OC sticky thread below... good stuff.

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Not completely true.

In Pennsylvania, you must have a valid license from any state to carry a firearm in a vehicle, regardless of whether or not Pennsylvania recognizes the license through reciprocity. See 18 PA C.S. §6106 (b) (11) below:

18 PA C.S. §6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

(a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

So, you could possess a license from, say, Nevada (which Pennsylvania does not currently recognize through reciprocity) and open carry while on foot. The Nevada license will exempt you from §6106 (a) while you are in a vehicle.
    Last edited by kcr121; March 6th, 2011 at 06:52 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcr121 View Post
    Not completely true.

In Pennsylvania, you must have a valid license from any state to carry a firearm in a vehicle, regardless of whether or not Pennsylvania recognizes the license through reciprocity. See 18 PA C.S. §6106 (b) (11) below:

So, you could possess a license from, say, Nevada (which Pennsylvania does not currently recognize through reciprocity) and open carry while on foot. The Nevada license will exempt you from §6106 (a) while you are in a vehicle.
    touche - guess I type 'reciprocated' in so many replies it become automatic. But the second issue of the buddy having 'dominion' does require the buddy having a reciprocated/LTCF license under 6115.
    Last edited by tl_3237; March 7th, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
    IANAL