Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Need some thoughts and opinions

Ive had my Beretta 9000 up for sale or trade for awhile. Im just not overly excited about the small frame 40S&W. It conceals well but is not a pleasure to shoot. Well I got an offer of a trade for it. A SS Taurus PT92. I know they are a clone of the M9 ( which i carried in the military ) but are they any good? Is it a decent trade? I have other conceal pistols , in fact I rarely ever carry the beretta at all. What do you guys think??
    Last edited by riverpirate; March 6th, 2011 at 12:57 PM.
    No longer posting

(York County)

Default Re: Need some thoughts and opinions

Having been an Armorer in the Marine Corps and working on the M9, I've seen all the weaknesses of the design and therefore I will never own a Beretta 92 or Taurus PT92. It's nothing against Taurus, just Beretta's design.

I would look for a CZ 75 compact or a high quality clone

(Allegheny County)

Unless the Taurus is NIB it seems a little lopsided (not much, but used Beretta 9000s seem to be going for about what new Taurus 92s are). I was going to say I hadn't heard many negatives against the Taurus except the usual weight and size, plus the lower safety position is usually considered a positive over the original Beretta design. I'm curious about this though:

Quote Originally Posted by mp517prct View Post
    Having been an Armorer in the Marine Corps and working on the M9, I've seen all the weaknesses of the design and therefore I will never own a Beretta 92 or Taurus PT92. It's nothing against Taurus, just Beretta's design.
    Could you elaborate? Is it mainly the open slide design in a combat environment or is there more?

I would not trade ANY good or better Beretta for a Taurus.

(York County)

Steel locking block + aluminum frame = cracked frame

I sent many M9s to MCLB Albany to be scrapped because the frames cracked under recoil. SIG uses a steel insert to reinforce the frame, Walther used a steel hex pin on the P1, the US military's solution was to issue Jeweler's Loupes to Armorers to inspect for cracks and award Beretta another contract.

Did you ever wonder why the military had enough M1911s after WWII to last them through the Gulf War but keeps ordering more and more Beretta M9s even though the military has been downsized since 1992?

(Bucks County)

i wouldn't only because the beretta is a better quality firearm than the taurus so you'd be getting the dirty end of the stick if you do a trade for the taurus. i've been in the army for 25 years and have never seen the frame crack on the M9. not saying it can't happen but in my experience the M9 has held up well and i wouldn't have a problem recommending them to anyone.

a buddy of mine owned one of the taurus M9 clones and while he couldn't shoot it worth a crap i had no problem hitting the 10 ring consistantly on the few occasions he let me shoot it. as far as i know it never failed to go bang and he used it as his concealed carry gun. i think the taurus m9 clone is probably their best semiauto and if you're going to own a taurus semiauto their m9 clone is the gun to have.

(Chester County)

I agree with thebearpack

think trade is lopsided - Your Beretta used seems to be worth New Taurus 92, think i'd ask for some cash to sweeten the deal

That aside, first handgun i ever owned was at Taurus 92 and it ran like a swiss watch - fed everything - plus lifetime warranty

good luck

Jeff

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAS&W View Post
    I would not trade ANY good or better Beretta for a Taurus.
    what he said.The 9000 will sell just give it time.

(Elk County)

Did you ever wonder why the military had enough M1911s after WWII to last them through the Gulf War but keeps ordering more and more Beretta M9s even though the military has been downsized since 1992?

Because the military had 2111s like me taking care of them?

Semper Fi,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I would look for a CZ 75 compact or a high quality clone
    456 - The M9 beat out some very good pistols to win that contract. Military testing and use goes beyond the scope of normal use of a weapon, (breaking Sigs and other competitors). And by all but a few accounts the M9 has stellar reviews.

My personal use of the 92sf after 25 years of ownership but probably on 3k rounds through it. Is that it has never jammed on me and shoots anything even weak reloads to powerful P++ ammo. Its accurate, reliable and easy to shoot. No form of JHP can make it jam from my experience, I'd venture to say that it even more reliable with JHP then my Pro polish and throated Colt 1911 and it loads nearly anything. Taurus PT series is a good gun BECAUSE it copies the Beretta design. The only problem you will have out the M9 is if you are shooting sub machine gun ammo out it or you are near 5k-7k rounds and you have done that in a 1 or 2 years. Most people won't reach that amount of shooting in there life time. Unless you are the Military and remember Beretta won that contract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast