Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Open Shooting Area PA?

Hi Everybody,

I know that the majority of the post here are of a “where to shoot,” nature. I have sifted through a few of those and noted that there are actually a few clubs nearby. That said, can anybody point me towards a park, area, large forest, or campground where I can set up various targets and shoot at liberty. I’m near the Downingtown area and I’m open to traveling several hours, as long as I can fire freely, safely, and legally. Thanks-- Rich

(Chester County)

Default Re: Open Shooting Area PA?

Read this thread. Posts #3, #5, and #6 give directions. This free outdoor public range is in French Creek State Park, less than 30 min from Downingtown (not to be confused with French Creek Outfitters indoor range in Phoenixville).

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/110...nch-creek.html

Make sure you read the rules. Post #3 covers some of the main ones. There are uniformed and plainclothes Rangers there often who enforce the rules and regs. While it's restrictive, it's the only free outdoor range close by that I'm aware of. Also, be careful; I've seen some poor safety practices while there.

When I first got into shooting many years ago that's were I first went. Eventually you'll want to join a shooting club. There are many in the Chesco area and are reasonably priced.

Have a good time and stay safe!

AMC
    Feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/57629-amc58.html
    NRA Endowment Life Member

(Chester County)

Hi guys,
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. I have been to SGL 43 in the past. I head up there whenever I need to sight in anything or even when I want to shoot a few rounds. I agree that some of the weapons handling and safety can be questionable at this location. I want to do some rapid fire and engage targets while moving. I will definitely look over the locations suggested to far and continue to check here if anybody has any additional suggestion. Thanks again--- Rich

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RICH562 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. I have been to SGL 43 in the past. I head up there whenever I need to sight in anything or even when I want to shoot a few rounds. I agree that some of the weapons handling and safety can be questionable at this location. I want to do some rapid fire and engage targets while moving. I will definitely look over the locations suggested to far and continue to check here if anybody has any additional suggestion. Thanks again--- Rich
    If you go way back at SGL 43, you may recall the resemblence the range had to the OK Coral. The moving targets were people who had no choice but to run after being shot at while posting their targets. No attempted murder here, but a circumstance brought forth by reckless visitors. I came to the conclusion that a visit to SGL 43 was worth about as much as I paid for its use.

(Lancaster County)

You can pm me for the location of a nice range in the Coal Region.
    Last edited by flabbydan; April 10th, 2011 at 06:55 PM.

(Chester County)

Hi again everybody, thank you all for the continued suggestions. Just to throw some information out there, I spoke to a buddy who went to SGL 43 range two weeks ago. He told me that the state is requiring permits to shoot there now. In any case, just wanted to throw it out there. I will check back in a couple of weeks. Stay safe -- Rich