Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Things to do in Pittsburgh...?

If you plan on going to the strip I'd recommend stopping in Wholey's for a fish sandwich. If you have kids with you they will like the live lobster and fish tanks plus the other fish lying around.

http://www.wholey.com/ourfafiki.html

If your in the mood for Italian I recommend Bella Notte's "Italian Stallion" hoagie. Simply the best hoagie I've ever eaten. Its just a few doors down and across the street.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/23/27013...ore-Pittsburgh
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Allegheny County)

At Station Square you could take a Gateway Clipper cruise on the rivers and ride one or both of the Inclines to Mount Washington for awesome city views. The zoo isn't that impressive unfortunately, but Phipps Conservatory and the Carnegie Museums of Art & Natural History are both in Oakland near the U of Pitt. The Warhol and Aviary are unique. If anyone wants to go shopping, hit Ross Park Mall (the stores are impressive to people who are into that sort of thing).

Or you could just meet me at the club and do some shooting!

(Allegheny County)

You have to check out Church Brew Works.

If in town on Sunday - brunch out somewhere is mandatory (if you won't be going to the group shoot!). There is a scottish bar that serves Scottish Eggs (Pipers Pub) yum, they have a good brunch.

For a nice restaurant down at the Southside Works has the Hofbrauhaus. They also have a good Irish pub across from the Cheesecake factory... can you tell I like good beer?

We usually take visitors to all the museums mentioned above. The Warhol is always a favorite.

Oh and for a nice more upscale place to eat there is the Grand Concourse. They have an excellent brunch as well. I got married there
    Last edited by falcn; March 5th, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

if your in the mood to do some Gun Shopping stop down at Ace Sporting Goods, take 79 south to Rt. 70 East, exit 19B (less than 1 Mile on Rt. 70), go through three lights and it's on the right hand side. stop in and say Hi!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    You have to check out Church Brew Works.

If in town on Sunday - brunch out somewhere is mandatory (if you won't be going to the group shoot!). There is a scottish bar that serves Scottish Eggs (Pipers Pub) yum, they have a good brunch.

For a nice restaurant down at the Southside Works has the Hofbrauhaus. They also have a good Irish pub across from the Cheesecake factory... can you tell I like good beer?

We usually take visitors to all the museums mentioned above. The Warhol is always a favorite.

Oh and for a nice more upscale place to eat there is the Grand Concourse. They have an excellent brunch as well. I got married there
    I haven't been to Church Brew Works in a while (over a year), some of the recent online reviews have not been that great. Has anyone been there recently?

For good German food instead of Hofbrauhaus try Max's Allegheny Tavern http://www.maxsalleghenytavern.com/. However that is a neighborhood I would advise that you carry in.

A bunch of things people already said and Mt. Washington make sure you get up there to check out the view. You can even take the incline to get there.

In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: Things to do in Pittsburgh...?

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I haven't been to Church Brew Works in a while (over a year), some of the recent online reviews have not been that great. Has anyone been there recently?

For good German food instead of Hofbrauhaus try Max's Allegheny Tavern http://www.maxsalleghenytavern.com/. However that is a neighborhood I would advise that you carry in.
    Went to the Church Brew Works for lunch last month - everything was STILL good and reasonably priced, as far as I'M concerned!

Max's Tavern is a GREAT place for a dinner - get a crowd, reserve a room in the back, and get your German ON!

(Allegheny County)

I cant be the only person on here who thinks the Primanti Brothers is one of the most over hyped restaurants in the world. Ive had it 3 times at three different places and I've yet to be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle H View Post
    I cant be the only person on here who thinks the Primanti Brothers is one of the most over hyped restaurants in the world. Ive had it 3 times at three different places and I've yet to be impressed.
    Like ANYTHING that has gone "mainstream" Primanti's has gone done hill. To the OP, that would be like Pat's or Geno's forming chains and locating them all over South East PA. Some Itialian guy isn't going to expect you to say "with and whiz" at some chain location. Part of the allure of going to Primanti's was that you were loaded from a night of drinking, OR that you worked the loading docks of the Strip and needed something to eat at 3 AM. The original place was crusty, the women working there were mean, and the sandwiches just tasted better. I would have dared anyone to tell the lady at the original Primanti's to "hold the slaw" on their sandwich. Quaker Steak and Lube is another example. A road trip to Sharon to go to the "Lube" used to be a good thing. The place was original, the wings were large and came tossed in homeade sauce. Put up fifteen of them and sell bottled sauce at the grocery store and I say your product sucks.....Rant over.
    Jules
    Last edited by ar15jules; March 6th, 2011 at 09:40 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle H View Post
    I'm with you. Disgusting. Won't go near the place personally.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast